How can I know if my 99 had the tsb/recall

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
I bought a used 99 about a year ago and never really thought about the tsb for the power increase until a friend brought it up over the weekend. Was there a mark or or something done by Ford for me to check?

Thanks

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
1-800-FORD-SVT

Call and give them your vin.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Check in the FAQ section there is something about how to tell. The biggest thing was the extrude honed or acid dipped intake which you should be able to tell by colored ink dots.

Here is an excerpt:

The 99 has an issue often called "The Fix". The problem was that the 99 Cobras weren't producing the numbers they should have been on the dyno so Ford recalled a lot of them. The intakes were either acid dipped or extrude honed and the catback was replaced with a more free flowing one. They also reflashed the PCM. If "The Fix" was performed on your 99 you will have a dot on the driver side front corner of your intake manifold with a green dot representing acid dipped and a blue dot if your intake was extrude honed.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Check for the dot on the drivers side front portion of your intake manifold, as the previous post states. You might have to wipe away a bit of accumulated grime to see it, I believe mine was blue. If you have trouble locating the dot, give the number a call from the other post and have your VIN ready.

shurur

Established Member
but none of these means you'll be making 320 HP at the flywheel, as the cams were not degreed.

My intake was acid dipped. I'm making maybe 308 hp at the flywheel.

The 99 intake is still the worst intake of them all, in that it is smoothed (dipped or extruded) but not as opened up as the 01 cobra and 03-04 mach1 and marauder. (REF NASVT)

That's why the 01 cobra is called the "99 fixed." It makes good on it's claim.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
99 Fix was for the intake, restrictive mufflers and new PCM tune.

Unless you are running stock mufflers and tune then those should be fixed?

I wonder if the green or blue mark would still be obvious after 14 years?

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Fix dot

Mine was clear as a bell, once I knew where to look. I expected a big bright dot but it is only a tiny little green dot on the intake. If I hadnt seen a picture of where they put them I probably would still not know where they put it.

99 Fix was for the intake, restrictive mufflers and new PCM tune.

Unless you are running stock mufflers and tune then those should be fixed?

I wonder if the green or blue mark would still be obvious after 14 years?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Here is a pic that shows the location of the green dot on my intake, it is visible on the lower right corner of the pic -

P3270016_zpsbea3beba.jpg

And yes, the pulleys are misaligned, I have the correct idler pulley on order to fix the problem

Last edited:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I have a nice green dot on mine as well. best one to have when it came to the "fix"

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Why is the green better?

Green dot is Acid dipped...

The other blue dot is extrude honed. It is basically abrasive putty run through the intake to get rid of the AL flashing.

But nothing fixed the restrictiveness of the '99 intake in general, except replacing it with an '01 and better yet an '03-'04 mach1/marauder,,better yet an NASVT rebuild..

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Lol, ok but why would the acid dip be better then extrude hone.

extrude hone leaves the surface rougher when "done."

NOW.. If the "Better" isn't provable on a dyno..I'm not sure it means much.

EDIT: And really what does it matter, when the '99 is the worst of all the intakes?

Last edited:

4valved

Banned
I'm pretty sure the cfm diff isn't more then 10 at any given rpm which means it might be about 2hp diff between intakes.

shurur

Established Member
extrude honing results in a very smooth surface while acid dipping leaves the a "sock like" finish.

So I had it backwards. :??:
I take it extrude honing is more expensive, so Ford did most intakes by acid dipping.
or ford had the intakes dipped just enough to get rid of the flashing and no more..
Thanks NASVT..AGAIN!!!.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread