How bad is the RST/RXT Marbles in transmission noise?

cj428mach

Established Member
Some of you may know I have a DYAD in my 03 Cobra and I love it and I have no plans to ever change it.

I'm building a 64 Falcon for my daughter and the car is receiving a 7.3 Godzilla motor which for people that don't know runs Mod Motor clutch/flywheel/bell housing. The car will be basic bolt ons and maybe make 475-500rwhp and is built with driveability as the #1 goal. (Its only getting a Comp Stage 1 cam because the factory lift/cam delamination issues). I want the car to drive and perform like a new car.

I want a nice light pedal effort, easy to drive clutch and my DYAD is 100% that, but at the same time the DYAD is $1600+ and rated for 1300ftlbs of torque. This had me thinking about the RST/RXT clutches because they're half the price and because I want a twin disc for low pedal effort for my daughter. Basically the down falls of the RXT are the unsprung hub and the pivot ball adjustment. I can handle the pivot ball adjustment but was wondering how bad the noise was from an unsprung hub.

Is it really that noisy? Do you ever encounter the noise are you really have to lug the motor to make it happen?

Sorry Brad this isn't a Terminator post but I wanted some feedback from people that run the same clutch.

robvas

Established Member
I have like a 1200-1800rpm 4th gear box of rocks noise but I always attributed it to the T56 itself, not the McLeod clutch

Camaro guys always called them the TRUCK 56 back in the day

01yellercobra

Established Member
The only noise I've noticed is a hiss when I start rolling. But I really only hear it in the garage. I haven't noticed a box of marbles with mine. But I did just switch to a quieter exhaust so maybe I will. Though the other day I was rolling at 1500rpm with the wife because of traffic and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

cj428mach

Established Member
You're fine Mike. Why not a automatic, computer management/control?
The short answer is the car I'm building for her is an original v8, 4 spd car and I'd like to keep with that. It becomes slightly more important to me because the car was actually owned by my dad 50 years ago and he sold it in 1973. I stumbled across it winter of 2021 on facebook half way across the country and I wasn't even looking for it. What helped us identify the car was the custom mods my dad had done to it that had never been removed.

I like the thought that my daughter (his grand daughter) will be driving his old car some day and shifting the TKX much like he did the original borg warner 4 spd 60 years earlier. (My daughter is only 6 yrs old.)

The new owner after bringing it home from Florida to Ks.

20220114_183930.jpg

Destroyed Shock towers from the guy my dad sold it to trying to put a big block in it.
20220514_194149.jpg

Original 4 spd hole butchered for some massive transmission.
20220514_194050.jpg

The car needs major repair so thats why I'm wanting to repair it, stay to its roots some what, but also upgrade it.

Godzilla installed with AJE front suspension. The AJE utilizes 94-04 Mustang steering/suspension. So I might be leaning on SVTP for advice there some day too.

Mike Maier Bar.jpg

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
The short answer is the car I'm building for her is an original v8, 4 spd car and I'd like to keep with that. It becomes slightly more important to me because the car was actually owned by my dad 50 years ago and he sold it in 1973. I stumbled across it winter of 2021 on facebook half way across the country and I wasn't even looking for it. What helped us identify the car was the custom mods my dad had done to it that had never been removed.

I like the thought that my daughter (his grand daughter) will be driving his old car some day and shifting the TKX much like he did the original borg warner 4 spd 60 years earlier. (My daughter is only 6 yrs old.)

The new owner after bringing it home from Florida to Ks.

View attachment 1819373

Destroyed Shock towers from the guy my dad sold it to trying to put a big block in it.
View attachment 1819374
Original 4 spd hole butchered for some massive transmission.
View attachment 1819375

The car needs major repair so thats why I'm wanting to repair it, stay to its roots some what, but also upgrade it.

Godzilla installed with AJE front suspension. The AJE utilizes 94-04 Mustang steering/suspension. So I might be leaning on SVTP for advice there some day too.

View attachment 1819376
Cool story and really cool you are keeping it in the family. Well done, sir!

The project looks awesome. Keep us updated!

Fat Boss

Established Member
That's going to be one bitchin' ride. As a long time 64 Falcon owner, I am looking forward to the build pics!

I put an RST into my Boss 302 and it was great. I don't remember any gear rollover noise from it.

cj428mach

Established Member
The only noise I've noticed is a hiss when I start rolling. But I really only hear it in the garage. I haven't noticed a box of marbles with mine. But I did just switch to a quieter exhaust so maybe I will. Though the other day I was rolling at 1500rpm with the wife because of traffic and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

I haven't heard of much at take off but most of the noise I've heard of was lugging at cruise but you kind of have me thinking. You'd think take off would make a lot of noise too.

So is it safe to say you only hear the marble noise if you drive in to high of a gear when you shouldn't be? or it can happen under normal correct driving?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I haven't heard of much at take off but most of the noise I've heard of was lugging at cruise but you kind of have me thinking. You'd think take off would make a lot of noise too.

So is it safe to say you only hear the marble noise if you drive in to high of a gear when you shouldn't be? or it can happen under normal correct driving?
Yeah. I think it's safe to say you'd only hear it if you're lugging the engine. And I'd say you'd really have to lug it. I've had this clutch for 8 years now and haven't heard anything I shouldn't have. When I've lugged the engine it's just the engine noises. I've heard. A quick downshift and everything is fine again.

IMO, the clutch will be a good fit for what you're wanting to do. I taught both of my kids to drive manual with this clutch.

cj428mach

Established Member
Yeah. I think it's safe to say you'd only hear it if you're lugging the engine. And I'd say you'd really have to lug it. I've had this clutch for 8 years now and haven't heard anything I shouldn't have. When I've lugged the engine it's just the engine noises. I've heard. A quick downshift and everything is fine again.

IMO, the clutch will be a good fit for what you're wanting to do. I taught both of my kids to drive manual with this clutch.
I wonder if I should go RST since power isn't a concern for me.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was going to suggest that. But I wasn't sure if your mind was made up on the RXT. I've thought about switching to an RST whenever this one gives out since I rarely hit the track.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My RXT 1200 is very noisy box of rocks, sounds like something is broken in the trans it is so bad. Usually only get it in 4th gear, under 2500 rpm, but does happen in other gears with low rpms too, but just not as often. 4th gear is consistently noisy.

My Spec 3+ was very quiet and had no issues with it once you get the hang of the on/off switch. It also had a LPO and I found it to be very similar in effort as the RXT.

Redfire03

Established Member
Had an RXT in my old redfire car. Install is everything on them. That clutch held 800hp without any issues and was just as quite as stock with a lighter pedal.

The days of loud twin disks are gone... I believe the RXT has a more forgiving composition (clutch slip, bad launch, etc.) and can take the abuse. A big tourqey engine and light pedal are a great car to learn on!

Love the story and the car. My dad's first car was a 64 Falcon Sprint with a 260. Have tried finding one for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread