How bad is the 5.4l 3v cam phaser issue?

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
04-08 and some very early 09's had the shit plug design. After that they went back to a one piece plug. Also if you have the shit plug design and want to keep the truck for a long time Champion makes an upgrade plug that is one piece but at almost 20 bucks a plug most people stay away. I have changed so many plugs on these engines that it takes me maybe 20 minutes longer to do. I actually prefer the plug to break in the head and then just use the removal tool. Its pretty easy and straight forward. Also you can spend like 600 bucks and buy the phaser lock outs and tuner and not have the issue anymore either. Friend of mine had her truck start having the issue at 70k. We put the lock outs in and never had another issue with it. She sold it with well over 150k.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
It's a low oil pressure issue. Want a cheap and easy fix? Run XXw-40 oil and raise the idle RPMs to ~800-850. Both of those will raise the oil pressure at idle and alleviate the knock.

04 f150 with the phaser tick currently with 83k miles. Not going to stress over it, just doing the recommendations from people who have dealt with it. This is the first time I've seen using that heavy an oil. Can you maybe expand on that? And would raising idle RPMs set off any codes?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
04 f150 with the phaser tick currently with 83k miles. Not going to stress over it, just doing the recommendations from people who have dealt with it. This is the first time I've seen using that heavy an oil. Can you maybe expand on that? And would raising idle RPMs set off any codes?

You're going to have to change the idle in the tune, so no codes. 40w oil is the bomb. Once I run through my current supply I'll be running Amsoil AME in everything.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The timing cover has to come off and the timing gear needs to come off to replace the oil pump, so if you’re going to upgrade the oil pump you might as well replace the timing gear while you’re in there.

The recommended upgraded oil pump is like $100.

Well then makes for alot more work than i though it might be.

Users who are viewing this thread