Hotel Chain laughs at, makes disabled vet crawl down stairs

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Ya because that would set such a great example and garner quite a bit of sympathy, right? The girl should have acted in a more professional manner but other then that, what should they have done? Send someone up and give him a piggy back ride? What if they dropped him or caused an injury?

Did the individual speak up and make it known he wanted to be on the first floor?
It sounds very messed up but I actually agree with this. Take also into consideration that the employee can get injured also and guranteed the Hotel would do nothing about the injury since he would get injured doing something that has nothing to do with his job. Ever carried a disabled person? Try carrying them down the stairs.

Hotels though should have a backup for this or have disabled people stay in the first floor. It's sad that she chuckled but really what can she really do?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
It sounds very messed up but I actually agree with this. Take also into consideration that the employee can get injured also and guranteed the Hotel would do nothing about the injury since he would get injured doing something that has nothing to do with his job. Ever carried a disabled person? Try carrying them down the stairs.

Hotels though should have a backup for this or have disabled people stay in the first floor. It's sad that she chuckled but really what can she really do?

I'd chuckle to at someone cursing at me on the phone, handicapped or not.

Mxfrench

Established Member
Yes this happened about 50 miles from me in a small town. The owner is Andy Patel. everyone needs to boycott this place. :fm:
Most are owned by PATELS. Its the American way give them free loans and when they are done passing it around and running it into the ground they leave it as a total loss.

Planter

Banned
You know you don't have to run to fire someone for every mistake they make. You ever hear about teaching people? Its a hotel. Maybe you have no experience working in a hotel and the kind of demands that are placed on people there. Sometimes hotel staff get jerked around by people. Its absolutely absurd to have this mentality of firing everyone for any little mistake they make at the job. And for all you know she could be the most dependable and reliable employee in that place. Everyone these days is so quick to call for someone's head to roll.

laughing at someone in a wheelchair who is asking for help is a mistake? This lady is in a customer service position. I've never worked in a hotel, but worked in plenty of customer service positions and you have to be willing to go the extra mile for a customer and she clearly was not willing to do that.

I can only go off the info I have in the story, but this sounds like a deliberate disregard for this man's physical disabilities and under the ADA is against the law.

but I might be a bit biased since I was in the Army myself and I don't particularly care to hear about veterans getting treated like this.

I'd chuckle to at someone cursing at me on the phone, handicapped or not.

So would I. And I think that's what the laughing was all about. Not laughing at a guy because he's handicap. I guess people also have never heard of people with a "nervous laugh." I wonder if some people get out much and interact with people and see the quirks that some people have. lol

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Sounds like a one sided story. Here's another version I read elsewhere:

"The employee on the phone was Holly Oyerbides. In a statement she stated: “ I received a phone call from a guest in room 302. I answer the phone saying front desk can I help you. Chad in a mad voice states the elevator is not working. And then says I’m in a (explicative) wheel chair how am I suppose to get down. I then reply what can I do to help you. He then states are you (explicative) kidding me I'm in a wheel chair and hangs up. Then minutes later he comes down to the front desk…""

In other words, **** him and his temper.

BTW, I work in guest relations it could be called. You come at me with foul language, and it's an instant red flag. You are getting nothing. I'm walking away and getting a supervisor, who if you have the same attitude, will also give you nothing. Customer service is a two way road.

Last edited:

03cobrah

Established Member
i like how she says, "then minutes later he comes down to the front desk"
yah the three flights of stairs were no biggy! I totally agree though the story is one sided and there's always two sides to the story. i bet the truth is somewhere down the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread