Hotel Chain laughs at, makes disabled vet crawl down stairs

03cobrah

Established Member
what the hell happened to customer service nowadays!?
SSG Chad Staples (medically retired) was in the Scout Platoon of the 1st Battalion 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the Red Devils. While defending our country, Staples was shot and paralyzed in Iraq in April of 2007. On August 7th, 2012, he stayed in a Best Western hotel for a 6-hour necessary pit stop in Monahans, Texas. After a power outage left the elevator out of service, Staples called down to the front desk to recieve assistance to get from the third floor back down to the main level so he could continue on his trip.

This is the conversation that unfolded:
Chad: Hi the elevator isn't working.
Holly: It's been down for about an hour.
Chad: Can you send someone up to help me down the stairs?
Holly: Are you serious?
Chad: (Explains that he is wheelchair bound.)
Holly: Well, what do you want me to do about it?
Chad: Are you f***ing serious? I'm in a f***ing wheelchair.
Holly: (Chuckles.)

Staples recieved no further help from the manager and was not given any assistance down the three flights of stairs. Instead, he was forced to throw his bags and his wheelchair down the steps and then crawl down the steps on his backside.

In a plea to friends and family for help, Staples said this, "...I made a formal complaint after the manager played dumb. The file number is 120806-3855. The lady at the other end sated its a liability thing, and assured me the complaint would be passed on. But, we all know what goes on with these types of things." And so, help, they did.

Hotel Chain laughs at, makes disabled vet crawl down stairs - CNN iReport

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The title is quite misleading unless of course airhead Holly speaks for the hotel chain.

I'm a bit alarmed how this man's service seems to be what's paramount. I would hope the same outrage would be expressed for any handicapped individual in a similar situation.

With our litigious society I'm not surprised the predicament wasn't addressed in a better manner.

sandlizard

Established Member
Yes this happened about 50 miles from me in a small town. The owner is Andy Patel. everyone needs to boycott this place. :fm:

rust0r

Established Member
It sickening to thing, what would have been an honour for most to have been able to do for someone who gave up so much of themselves, is a joke to others.

These people need to handed a rifle and sent on the first plane into the next hot zone.

Is there an email for these people (the owners/managers) of the hotel?

Driver500

Established Member
Yes this happened about 50 miles from me in a small town. The owner is Andy Patel. everyone needs to boycott this place. :fm:

Because an employee speaks for the entire company right?

As an employee of the hotel, she speaks for them IMO.

no she doesn't any more than the guy who was fired for berating the chic fil a girl spoke for his company.

I'd expect her to be dismissed and that be the end of it.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Because an employee speaks for the entire company right?

no she doesn't any more than the guy who was fired for berating the chic fil a girl spoke for his company.

I'd expect her to be dismissed and that be the end of it.

Guess that's why I have my opinion and you have yours. (even if yours is wrong)

oldmodman

Established Member
What kind of help would have been rendered to him if instead of just the elevator being out there had been a fire.

Marshall some of the other guests. Two other people carry him, one carries his chair, and another carries his gear. now obviously, in a fire his chair and gear would have been left, but you get the idea.

When I was in high school there was a fire at a 30 story building near me.
There was an older woman that was wheelchair bound on the 22nd floor and we ran up the stairs and carried her, her chair, and her basset hound down the stairs. Her daughter was hanging out the window hollering for help. And we just automatically went to help. As we were running down with her the fire department was running up. A smoker one floor above her had fallen asleep while smoking. He was dead and his apartment was totally burning, and the upper floors were starting to burn too.

Planter

Banned
What kind of help would have been rendered to him if instead of just the elevator being out there had been a fire.

Marshall some of the other guests. Two other people carry him, one carries his chair, and another carries his gear. now obviously, in a fire his chair and gear would have been left, but you get the idea.

THIS! how hard is it to round up a couple guest volunteers and ask them for assistance with this man? and maybe offer them an upgrade of amentities or free room service or something for helping.

this lady went out of her way to be inconsiderate and a hinderance. she should get fired.

If the soldier wanted to be a jerk, he could easily file a discrimination lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and they should have had him on the first floor anyhow not on the 3rd.

:nonono:

THIS! how hard is it to round up a couple guest volunteers and ask them for assistance with this man? and maybe offer them an upgrade of amentities or free room service or something for helping.

this lady went out of her way to be inconsiderate and a hinderance. she should get fired.

If the soldier wanted to be a jerk, he could easily file a discrimination lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and they should have had him on the first floor anyhow not on the 3rd.

You know you don't have to run to fire someone for every mistake they make. You ever hear about teaching people? Its a hotel. Maybe you have no experience working in a hotel and the kind of demands that are placed on people there. Sometimes hotel staff get jerked around by people. Its absolutely absurd to have this mentality of firing everyone for any little mistake they make at the job. And for all you know she could be the most dependable and reliable employee in that place. Everyone these days is so quick to call for someone's head to roll.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Its absolutely absurd to have this mentality of firing everyone for any little mistake they make at the job.

You'd consider this a small mistake?

I'm for giving people chances, this is way beyond a little mistake. If it took 30 minutes to get help for the SSG, that might be a small mistake. What she did is worthy of firing and like Planter pointed out, worthy of going after them for violating the ADA.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Ya because that would set such a great example and garner quite a bit of sympathy, right? The girl should have acted in a more professional manner but other then that, what should they have done? Send someone up and give him a piggy back ride? What if they dropped him or caused an injury?

Did the individual speak up and make it known he wanted to be on the first floor?

You'd consider this a small mistake?

I'm for giving people chances, this is way beyond a little mistake. If it took 30 minutes to get help for the SSG, that might be a small mistake. What she did is worthy of firing and like Planter pointed out, worthy of going after them for violating the ADA.

Neither you or I know anything about the employee or how they are viewed by their employer. On top of that, people want to get extra critical because its a vet and that they are handicapped. And the vet was satisifed with how Best Western compensated him for the inconvenience. So what's the problem here? Maybe all the perfect people who never mess up at their jobs should really get over themselves.

Ya because that would set such a great example and garner quite a bit of sympathy, right? The girl should have acted in a more professional manner but other then that, what should they have done? Send someone up and give him a piggy back ride? What if they dropped him or caused an injury?

Did the individual speak up and make it known he wanted to be on the first floor?

That's an excellent point. It simply can't be dismissed that because we live in a country where people sue for what appears to be the most innocent things sometimes, that some employers are simply not willing to take the risk of a mishap. We live in such different times.

bumplime

Established Member
Anyone that would accept Less than her termination is obviously not a business owner. No matter how dependable an employee is, they represent your business even when they act as classless as this lady. She didn't just ignore his request, she laughed at him when he explained his circumstance. Yes, her head should roll. She should be made an example out of by the business owner. What he is saying by keeping her employed is that he doesn't care how his employees treat his customers. Do you spend our money where someone ridicules you? Nope, and more often than not you'd spread the word soy our friends, family , etc are aware and avoid the business. Why would this situation be different?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
She doesn't deserved to be fired.

This.

rust0r

Established Member
Having worked in a large hotel, one of the first priorities in the event of a fire alarm (just the alarm sounding, not an evaculation), is locating the handi-cap guests and ensuring they are properly assisted in CASE of an evacuation. That 0.00001 chance is still one of the top priorities when we are notified of a sensor or pull-station.

To those of you, and I'm judging by the response, it's many of you, that are unfamiliar with EMPATHY. Even if it was the hotel policy not to assist guests like this for liability reasons, she certainly handled it 100% wrong in her response. Rather than provide the gentleman with an ETA for when the elevator/power would be restored (which should be communicated to staff), or saying she would find those details out for him, she treated him rudely (Regardless of him being a vet or not). That type of "hospitality" doesn't fly in any decent hotel chain that I've ever heard of, she would be let go pretty quickly.

It's one thing not being able to meet someone's request, it's another to deny it rudely and with ignorance, while insulting them.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
I'm sorry, but there is more to this story than what is being told. This story sounds so one sided to me. Open that Cnn link and look at the upper left side of the pic of the hotel that's posted, it says , 'Not vetted by CNN'.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread