HORSEPOWER MODS?.........If I decide to go that route......

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
I have a 2011 GT500 SVTPP. Initially I said I was going to keep it bone stock (still might), except for the current axle backs.

I have been reading a lot of threads in this section for the past month regarding the GT500's. Since I am getting a late start in the mods of these cars I am all over the place with where to start and what IS really needed to meet my needs or goal. As for Stang's my past flavor has been with some very fast Fox's I've owned ranging from N/A 10-sec street cars to high 7-sec nitrous cars on small tires. So all the MOD motor'd GT500 stuff is new business for me.

First order of business, I want more power and IF I decide to MOD the car I don't want to get crazy with it. It will always be a street car and barely see any track time if any at all - basically a street light bandit. At least for right now.

1. How restrictive is the stock exhaust on these cars? I mean, does the exhaust really hurt the power that much for the cost and labor that would be involved with replacing the headers and middle exhaust?

2. My "DYNO" goal would be to reach 650-675 RWHP - I would be perfectly happy with that achievement and call it done.

3. So, my question is, WHAT DO I REALLY need in order to meet the aforementioned? Can somebody lay out a decent package for me - not even sure if that can be achieved >>>> budget being $3500-$5k total. I want good shit, not junk. I have no problem buying quality used stuff either. But remember, most important factor is it HAS to remain 100% street driven - reliable - dependable - meaning get in and drive 300mi round trip without question.

4. Has to be done with pump gas 91 octane. I don't believe our state even sells 93 octane.

5. Lastly, my State requires emissions testing.

Last edited:

slowbra1

Established Member
VMP TVS and tune, VMP sells the complete JLT line of CAI, VMP 67 throttle body and whatever fuel upgrade plus supporting mods VMP recommends that's all you need.

Plus great customer service support 100% score from me on CSI the VMP product line is awesome.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Add another $1000 to your budget and go with a Ford Racing/Whipple 2.9 750HP kit. It will meet all of your requirements without any exhaust mods.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Call Van @Revan Racing. He will review your goals with the car and lay out plenty of options. Great dude

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
VMP TVS and tune, VMP sells the complete JLT line of CAI, VMP 67 throttle body and whatever fuel upgrade plus supporting mods VMP recommends that's all you need.

Plus great customer service support 100% score from me on CSI the VMP product line is awesome.

slowbra1,

I was just looking over their site and reviewing their 700+ HP kit before I came back to read this thread. Definitely looks like a good set-up and the cost is within reach of my budget. I would also add a HE. Thanks.

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Add another $1000 to your budget and go with a Ford Racing/Whipple 2.9 750HP kit. It will meet all of your requirements without any exhaust mods.

SCGallo2,

I will check it out. I assume this kit could only be had directly from Ford or do other retailers sell it?

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Call Van @Revan Racing. He will review your goals with the car and lay out plenty of options. Great dude

zporta,

Someone from Revan Racing was reading the thread right after I initially posted it. Maybe rules here do not allow businesses to post or send PM's with suggestions?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
SCGallo2,

I will check it out. I assume this kit could only be had directly from Ford or do other retailers sell it?

You can pick the kit up from any Whipple retailer. A used TVS w/ supporting mods would be the most cost effective way to reach your HP goals, w/ the new Gen 2 TVS coming out and 13-14 owners upgrading to larger blowers there's always take off TVS' s in the classifieds.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
SCGallo2,

Here is the part# you need: M-6066-MSVT29D. It will achieve your goal on 91 octane. Try contacting Steve @ Tasca Auto Group to see if he can help you out. TVS is a great and cost effective way to reach your HP goals, but at that level of performance, it will not be emissions compliant.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
zporta,

Someone from Revan Racing was reading the thread right after I initially posted it. Maybe rules here do not allow businesses to post or send PM's with suggestions?

He is a supporting vendor. So you can PM him but it's best and quickest to call.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I'll point out that i made the same choice you did and went for power. If i had it to do over again i would have spent the money on a full rear suspension, tires, driveshaft, and Heat Exchanger. Then i would have went for more power. Its great to have 700whp but if you cant use it all you have basically done is drop 3K-5K to make you car less streetable and uncontrollable. If you get traction in line first im sure you will be surprised at how capable these cars are at even the stock power level when it is fully applied. Then if that's not enough for you buy a 2013 TVS take off for around 1500-1800 and enjoy an additional 100ish Hp.

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Thanks guys. I will be calling VMP and Revan. Going to read-up a little more.

Red GT500 - yep, you are right about the suspension. I'm pretty good in that department and it will get some goodies for sure as well if I decide to take the car to the next level above stock. Thanks.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member

For the 5.4l doesn't that require a lot of motor work to make safe? That kit sounds amazing but I'd imagine you'd have to build up your motor first. Poster said he wanted 650-675 RWHP of power but for it to be 100% street driveable and as reliable (as stock I assume)

Last edited:

shelby2

Established Member
You will reach your goal with a whipple 2.9 the ford racing package is easy reliable and a proven performer. I was able to build a kit using used parts and was easily on the lower end of your budget and have a daily driver and over your HP goal.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
You will reach your goal with a whipple 2.9 the ford racing package is easy reliable and a proven performer. I was able to build a kit using used parts and was easily on the lower end of your budget and have a daily driver and over your HP goal.

Once again is this a-ok on a stock motor? Not trying to intrude on the OP's post but he did say reliability, if I can S\C to that HP without a worry, and without people going into my block, that would be awesome.

Nsssane1

Established Member
If you do like the Whipple I have one with 800 miles on it in the for sale section almost 1k off the original price!!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Once again is this a-ok on a stock motor? Not trying to intrude on the OP's post but he did say reliability, if I can S\C to that HP without a worry, and without people going into my block, that would be awesome.

750 RWHP is safe w/ out having to build the motor as long as you have the fuel system mods and a good tune, these motors are very stout.

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member

Safe and still conservative at 750 EHP on a stock motor. You can even purchase a 5yr/100,000 warranty if you so desire.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I have the Ford Racing 2.9 750hp complete kit on my 2011. It is 750 crank hp and roughly around 630 to the rear wheels. You will not need anything else other than what is in the kit and your upgrade will provide safe, reliable and cat friendly power.

Users who are viewing this thread