Hopefully the new Holy Grail of clutches!

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
Finally got it in, been waiting for 6 weeks for it. I want to thank Sam at Coastal for all of his research for finding someone to build this for me. It is a prototype and not available yet...at least not till it proves to work well in my car. I am VERY hard on clutches due to the fact that I slip the clutch very bad to get out of the hole on 18" Nittos so it builds an extreme amount of heat then I hit second and expect the clutch to hold. More times than not my old setup would slip.
As soon as I make a 9 second pass (fingers crossed) on the Nittos, I will put on my slicks and we will see if it holds.
Now the bad news...it is not cheap. I nearly put an auto in the car, but I was talked into going forward with my goals so I bit the bullet and I am trying this route. I hope that it works out.
It is a completely rebuildable triple disc clutch, pedal feel is suppose to be better than stock. It goes in next week, but this is the first one built for a Mustang so I am sure there will be a few snags going in and being setup correctly, so it may be a week or 2 until I have any solid results.

clutch5.jpg

clutch4.jpg

clutch-1.jpg

clutch7.jpg

Last edited:

turbodawg97

Established Member
Thats pretty sick, I know the Supra guys have been running triple disc carbon clutches for a while now and have had great results even with daily driving. Any idea of what this might cost if/when it comes out.

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
My DFX was never really on or off...I slipped the crap out of it launching my car. That is the reason that I had to take it out. It could hold most of the power but I was slipping it to much then expecting it to hold.

Thanks for the props guys, I REALLY hope that it works! I am out of options.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any projection what this might cost if it makes it to production? Ballpark?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Too bad you cant take 2 stock clutches and fab something up. If one will hold 500ish hp/tq, then maybe 2 would hold much more. :shrug: Would be really cheap. All you would need is the pressure plate setup. No chatter and very smooth.
I'm not spending $1,500-2000 for a clutch setup on my DD.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
I could never figure out why people go with the on/off switch clutches (eg., dfx) when there are at least three (now four, including the setup in this thread) multi-disc clutch assemblies for our cars.

its what real racecars have in them.

It's real easy to figure out. It comes down to money. Most of our cars are not "real race cars" and to spend a grand or more on a clutch alone is a very tuff pill to swallow when you don't have an unlimited budget. Not to mention, the majority of us are not running 9's like 78mhpgr.

03SBSVT

Banned
I want to buy a GT500 clutch, rumored to be good for 1000hp with 36lbs of pressure as opposed to 50 in our cars needed to push in the clutch pedal

Users who are viewing this thread