Hopefully the new Holy Grail of clutches!

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
HOLY HELL, I thought my Mcleod was huge!

Speaking of which their finger hub street twin is rated to 1400hp, what was the arguement to have a triple disk built? Again, what did you drop for that? My Mcleod was 1150 complete and hold like a MoFo, but the pedal feel is not anything like stock....

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
very nice man... that thing was freaking huge... i was amazed when i saw it in person.. holy hell... almost need a wheelbarrow to get it across the shop.

Cant wait to see how it performs for you brother.

SkipBuxton

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
I could never figure out why people go with the on/off switch clutches (eg., dfx) when there are at least three (now four, including the setup in this thread) multi-disc clutch assemblies for our cars.

its what real racecars have in them.

Absolutely - I am in the process of doing the Ram Dual Disc - not as thick as this monster - but I know that it will be a better performer than any single disc that Spec - DFX is making for our cars..............

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
I went with this because I have or had one of my friends go through EVERY other clutch. No company would tell me that their clutch would hold the power that I want to end up making...NONE. I called every single maufacturer and was left with nothing that I would spend my money on.

This was custom built to be strong, resiliant and soft. I really did not care about pedal fell, but I am told it is great, just a bonus. My main concern is holding power.

Te only other one that I was considering was the Ram, but I did not want to adjust it all the time, and they could not confirm if it would hold.

Now on to cost...it is a lot, to much in fact. I nearly switched to an auto (about the same price as a built auto tranny), but I have a goal and do not want to quit now. I built this car to be what I want and stopping now would have killed me. Thanks go out to Sam as he talked me out of the auto...he use to try to talk me into it!

On a positive not, it is 100% rebuildable which is another reason that I went with it. A burnt up $1500 clutch is garbage...this one will still be worth something when/if it is destroyed.
Cheap, Fast, Reliable...pick two.

I will post results as soon as it is up and running, it may be a week or 2 as we are changing other things on the car. I plan on hitting it hard, so we will see!

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
FaYgOkRiS said:
HOLY HELL, I thought my Mcleod was huge!

Speaking of which their finger hub street twin is rated to 1400hp, what was the arguement to have a triple disk built? ...
They will not gaurentee that, especially in a car that will be making torque in that neighborhood and weighing 4100#s. I don't want to out grow the clutch. Not sure if I will ever make that much power, but I may and I would hate to pay $1500 on a clutch and end up putting this one in later anyway. I HATE buying the same part twice. I am sure that I am not the only one that has done that!

Last edited:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
78mphgpr said:
I will post results as soon as it is up and running, it may be a week or 2 as we are changing other things on the car. I plan on hitting it hard, so we will see!

I wanna ride :pepper: :pepper:

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
78mphgpr said:
They will not gaurentee that, especially in a car that will be making torque in that neighborhood and weighing 4100#s. I don't want to out grow the clutch. Not sure if I will ever make that much power, but I may and I would hate to pay $1500 on a clutch and end up putting this one in later anyway. I HATE buying the same part twice. I am sure that I am not the only one that has done that!

AMEN to that brotha

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
so who makes a good, affordable dual disc clutch for our cars that will handle 600rwhp for a street car (non-race car)??

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
You don't nedd a dual disk for 600hp. My DFX held great on my old setup and that was high 700's.
That is not what this thread is about though.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
78mphgpr said:
You don't nedd a dual disk for 600hp. My DFX held great on my old setup and that was high 700's.
That is not what this thread is about though.

didn't mean to hijack the thread, i just heard twin discs were easier to depress than the heavier duty single discs, and i don't want to buy multiple clutches--

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
Waiting on a new flywhell, They drilled the holes evenly, on our cars, one hole is offset. Being the guinna pig has its downfalls, but it is getting taken care of.

BlueSS

03SBSVT said:
I want to buy a GT500 clutch, rumored to be good for 1000hp with 36lbs of pressure as opposed to 50 in our cars needed to push in the clutch pedal
That would be nice if they could make the gt500 clutch work in our cars. My friend with my old 98 SS put the new LS7 Z06 clutch in it and it's very nice!

04torchred

Established Member
78mphgpr said:
Waiting on a new flywhell, They drilled the holes evenly, on our cars, one hole is offset. Being the guinna pig has its downfalls, but it is getting taken care of.

What else have you had to change 78? Is the cable setup still working or did you have to go to a hydraulic style.

Users who are viewing this thread