Hood recommendations for a newly supercharged car?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Ok here it is:

imagejpg1_zps4ea0c674.jpg

jsimmonstx

Established Member
You need a hood that will extract heat from the engine compartment. A scoop (or ram air setup) is kinda pointless beyond making a fashion statement.

Quad4_72

Established Member
You need a hood that will extract heat from the engine compartment. A scoop (or ram air setup) is kinda pointless beyond making a fashion statement.

Yes I ordered the Cobra R hood. Unfortunately it will be 4-6 weeks before it arrives. I just wonder if I need a shop to install it or can I do it myself.

Jabooh1

Established Member
You should be able to do yourself. Might take an extra set of hands.

Does the Cervini Cobra R help with heat extraction?

Quad4_72

Established Member
nope, it attempts to vent to a high pressure area...
When the vehicle isn't moving, the fan would blow excess heat out the heat extractors would it not? And when the car is moving, wouldn't those heat extractors serve to bring air into the engine bay since it is a cowl hood?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Ahh don't let this guy scare you off, my experience is no increases in engine temps, even on the hottest days my iats never go above 100 degrees. The cobra r hood has more space between the engine and its inner top then the stock hood. This translates into more area for air to move while your moving. The 2 vents in the hood work well enough to handle idling on the hottest of days... Take it from someone who has had both the stock hood and the cobra r hood, you have nothing to be concerned about!

Jabooh1

Established Member
Yeah. 102 ambient 126 IAT without moving. 1 minute after moving down to 108. Like I said Colorado is different but to me Cobra at is not a heat extraction hood. Like the 2013 gt500 or tiger is.

CSG

Established Member
When the vehicle isn't moving, the fan would blow excess heat out the heat extractors would it not? And when the car is moving, wouldn't those heat extractors serve to bring air into the engine bay since it is a cowl hood?

To a small extent, yes. It is a very small percentage of the total amount of air movement. Very negligee. The stock 13/14 vents are placed in an area that is more advantageous while moving, but again negligible at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread