Hood recommendations for a newly supercharged car?

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I like the way that looks as well as the fact that it appears to be functional. I gotta wonder though if it will dump water on to the air filter when it rains. I hope the fit and finish is as good as the factory hood. I've seen some that only look good from a distance.

I believe it will. I actually live near one of the AIRAID's testing centers so I ended up getting a free intake for them to test out water leaking into the air intake via the hood vents. They ended up releasing a shield to prevent the intake from getting soaked on the 2013+ gt's, but just a heads up it may become an issue if you have an open air intake.

The second one.

and @ op, I like that hood in your original post. That and the tiger racing hood is about all I would consider for the mustang. The first hook looks kind of shitty, and the third one looks way too subaru-ish for my taste. I guess that would leave #2

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Cervinis cobra r hood:

imagejpg2_zps1a4ad8f8.jpg

imagejpg1_zps75c8edf4.jpg

Jabooh1

Established Member
What type of functional are you looking for heat extraction or ram air? Probably not ram air since you have boost. Out of those three I like 2. However I will be doing tiger racing. Which is probably the best heat extraction.

Quad4_72

Established Member
What type of functional are you looking for heat extraction or ram air? Probably not ram air since you have boost. Out of those three I like 2. However I will be doing tiger racing. Which is probably the best heat extraction.

Well I kind of wanted ram air to help get the air intake sucking in air from outside as opposed to the hot air under the hood. I am mainly looking for heat extraction though I guess. I just don't want to have to worry about the rain

Jabooh1

Established Member
I know multiple people with Tiger hoods on and they have no problems rain or snow. If you have an open air box you just put a seal between it and the hood or don't cut the front most louver.

Quad4_72

Established Member
So my engine bay will look very similar to this. It appears as though the Edelbrock CAI has a seal around it. I should be good right?
(Ignore the second blue pick. I accidentally posted that photo and tried to erase it but it won't go away. That is the stock air box obviously.)

Attachments

• edelbrock.jpg
    edelbrock.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Edelbrock with strut.jpg
    Edelbrock with strut.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

GT915

Established Member
From an air extraction standpoint, I think the tiger racing hood is probably the most functional. I don't know about you but I like to keep my engine clean and that thing is bound to let rain, leaves and other crap drain all over it. To be honest I don't really like how it looks either. That's just me though...I'm sure a lot of others disagree.

jpplaw

Established Member
I use a Cervini's Type IV hood with the scoops open. The CAI shield in your pic is for a stock hood and isn't tall enough for an aftermarket hood - it won't seal. With scoops open and drip pans still on the extractors , you do get some water spots but nothing bad. It stays clean enough to win at Mustangweek 2 years in a row.

I can also drive for 3 hours and put my hand right on the intake plenum afterwards and it is still cool.

Jabooh1

Established Member
If you want to know more about the Tiger hood call Jonathon at Chicane 23. They make them for Tiger Racing. He daily drives one on his personal car and can answer all your questions.

Quad4_72

Established Member
Ok after much deliberation, I have decided upon the Cobra R hood from cervinis. My last question, will the black paint match up perfectly with my stock black paint?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Ok after much deliberation, I have decided upon the Cobra R hood from cervinis. My last question, will the black paint match up perfectly with my stock black paint?

Yes its a perfect match, i recommend getting the other side painted as well, i didn't myself and i should have. It costs extra but its worth it!

imagejpg1_zps347fcc66.jpg

imagejpg1_zps87cc7f1c.jpg

Last edited:

Quad4_72

Established Member
Yes its a perfect match, i recommend getting the other side painted as well, i didn't myself and i should have. It costs extra but its worth it!

imagejpg1_zps347fcc66.jpg

imagejpg1_zps87cc7f1c.jpg

How come it needs paint under the hood? On the site it says it already comes with a black gloss finish underneath

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
It doesn't look as good as you may think on the other side, but when you see one painted on the other side its much better looking! I may still get mine painted depending on how much it costs me.

Last edited:

Quad4_72

Established Member
It doesn't look as good as you may think on the other side, but when you see one painted on the other side its much better looking! I may still get mine painted depending on how much it costs me.

Do you have a pic of yours from the inside?

Users who are viewing this thread