Hood Protection

DrTaco

Established Member
Hey all,

Getting my hood repainted on Weds. What are you all doing to protect your hoods against rock chips, road debris and such? Don't want to shell out some cash just to have to repaint again in the short future. Heard the 3M Clear Bra is great, but wicked expensive. Thanks all!

Mark

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Hey all,

Getting my hood repainted on Weds. What are you all doing to protect your hoods against rock chips, road debris and such? Don't want to shell out some cash just to have to repaint again in the short future. Heard the 3M Clear Bra is great, but wicked expensive. Thanks all!

Mark

I have a buddy with a C6-ZO6 which is a dedicated open track car. He had the 3M Clear Bra installed on the front end when he bought the car. It's been raced, and raced hard, but the nose still looks great. Worth the money, and cheaper than a repaint later. JMHO

svt2ner

Established Member
Think I paid about 700 to do the front bumper, hood up to the vents, bottom of side skirts, some of the rear bumper behind rear tires. Works great.

DrTaco

Established Member
Thanks for the input all! Yeah, looks like I'll be making some calls for the clear bra this weekend. Thanks!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
How much you painted to get the hood repainted? I know you get what you paid for and each place is different, but I thought I would ask....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The clear bra is the best option, but it isn't "invisible". You'll be able to see the break between the bra and your paint. Very effective, though.

I used to be very careful when driving on freeways, as that is where you'll get the majority of debris damage. Especially when behind trucks. I would always try to avoid getting behind trucks or SUVs, and I kept my speed down to 55 when anywhere near them, often letting trucks go by and get some distance between me and them. Didn't always work but in two years of driving (including several trips from CT to ME/NH and CT to PA I never once got a chip on my hood. So there are driving techniques that can minimize the problem. Just a thought.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I have a buddy with a C6-ZO6 which is a dedicated open track car. He had the 3M Clear Bra installed on the front end when he bought the car. It's been raced, and raced hard, but the nose still looks great. Worth the money, and cheaper than a repaint later. JMHO

+1 I have it on my Wife's Aspen and my Ram pick up. It is a little costly, but the protection is great and repainting hoods and bumpers is far more expensive. The bra is barely noticable from more that 5-10' away.

I will clear bra every car I own from now on :beer:

Last edited:

VtekII

Established Member
just curious is the clear bra removeable if you dont want it anymore, or does it bond pretty hard to your paint. ive never had it on anything.

xenodragon

Established Member
I actually have the Cobra hood bra from Ford...i like it, its black and matches my car, and I can take it on and off whenever in less than 5 seconds. Was cheap too.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
just curious is the clear bra removeable if you dont want it anymore, or does it bond pretty hard to your paint. ive never had it on anything.

Yes, it comes off fairly easy, but like the installation it should be removed by a professional.

DrTaco

Established Member
How much you painted to get the hood repainted? I know you get what you paid for and each place is different, but I thought I would ask....

Hey, no problem. I'm actually getting a great deal because I've made friends with the guys who work at the place. Im getting the entire hood (top and bottom) for $400. They are also repairing two places where the paint has crackled on the front lip.

I'll let you guys know where I end up getting the bra installed and how much it was. Thanks for the input again guys. Paint chips suck, but they suck even harder on a black car.

Users who are viewing this thread