Hood Liner Mod How To

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
What were the reasons for some of you to even need to be able to leave the plastic flaps on there? Do they really provide that much more protection on the vents?

BurnTire

Established Member
CompOrange04 said:
What were the reasons for some of you to even need to be able to leave the plastic flaps on there? Do they really provide that much more protection on the vents?

They help channel the water a little better when closed in the rain.

1stanguy

always lookin for a race
Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
I have a couple suggestions to make that I found made my mod come out really clean.

1. In order to mark the hood blanket so you can get really clean and symetrical holes cut, remove the blanket, pop the hood vents out, then replace the blanket with just a couple push pins, then take a felt marker and mark your cuts on the back side of the blanket.

2. I found that using a Fine Tooth Hack Saw Blade by itself holding it with a leather glove cut the blanket just like butter and left a super clean edge and was really easy to follow the lines I made on the back side. I ended up with 2 perfect pieces when I finished my cuts.

HoodCutOuts.jpg
Do you have any pics of the final outcome? I would like to see how it looks when it's done. Thanks.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
hey guys,
i have some of that flex trim if any one wants to do this mod.
i ended up buying a box of 25 feet of it and i only had to use like 2 feet of it.
i payed like 36 bucks for the box, and that stuff is kinda hard to find.
so if anyone wants to save some bucks, drop me a pm.
10 bucks shipped to you.
and i have paypal so you can get the trim faster.
thanks
J

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
OK guys quick question thisis probably stupid , but do the vents work with the stock setup?
Why didn't ford do the cut outs if it was really benefical to extracting heat?
Lastly is there any ill effects from doing this Mod?

1stanguy

always lookin for a race
Established Member
They only let out a very little bit of heat with the stock setup. When you open them up, you feel alot more heat extracting from the vents. The only downfall to this mod (which isn't even that bad) is that the hood blanket gets pretty wet when you wash your car. But nothing bad happens.

Last edited:

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
Hmmm, this is very interesting. If one does this mod should they worry when it's raining or when they are washing the car? I think I may do this tonight if there isn't any need to worry.

Slow

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I've heard that the tape eventually will peel off in other threads... and you can take the blanket off and rip the vents off... I just didn't because my hood is unpainted on the back side.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
I bought a roll of the 3M tape months ago. Haven't used it yet.
I have my blanket off and the plastic flaps ripped off. The blanket has been off for over a year now. No adverse effects, other than the AM radio reception is now weaker than it was with the blanket on. The metal lining on the blanket cuts down on AM radio interference from the engine. My underside of the hood also is mostly unpainted, but I don't care.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
I just did mine this weekend. Turned out pretty good. Word of advice, buy more of the flextrim than you think you need. I bought 4.5 feet and i was short. Also, my hood is painted on the underside? Mayber cause' its balck?

Well here's some pics.
50mr68

50mr7o

50mr9w

JymBart

Established Member
Postban Hood Vent Mod

postban said:
:)............. and the hood mod lives on............

Seems like some of the newbies don`t have a clue who started this Mod. I can recall reading about your idea for opening the hood vents, ... for years this was called the Postban Hood Vent Mod. Do you still have detailed instructions on your site?

It was one of my first Mods on my `03 Cobra.

JymBart

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Reason I posted this was because I was getting about 10 PM's a day on how to do it... but yes, the "good ol days" are over, with these new cobra owners and all :whine:

03 Cobra

Established Member
Flex Trim

Anyone got any flex trim left? Or can get me some can not find any around here and it seems that most people that i ask look dumb founded like they never heard of this stuff. Although i did find one place with it but only sell it by the box of 40' witch is way too much for this mod. Plz let me know. BTW yall did a great job on painting ur letters mine didnt come out the greatest. May just be the color i did mine Matalic Sliver to match my car. I think that the brighter ones may look better IMO.

Thanks

jpk

Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
I have a couple suggestions to make that I found made my mod come out really clean.

1. In order to mark the hood blanket so you can get really clean and symetrical holes cut, remove the blanket, pop the hood vents out, then replace the blanket with just a couple push pins, then take a felt marker and mark your cuts on the back side of the blanket.

2. I found that using a Fine Tooth Hack Saw Blade by itself holding it with a leather glove cut the blanket just like butter and left a super clean edge and was really easy to follow the lines I made on the back side. I ended up with 2 perfect pieces when I finished my cuts.

HoodCutOuts.jpg

Would it be easier to just leave the hood blanket on and cut out the holes using a template, such as your two cutouts? If so, can I borrow or buy your cutouts in this picture to do mine? :-D

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Hmm, templates, not a bad idea. I'll have to say I'm really happy with the way mine turned out. One other trick I forgot to mention is to try to make all the radius's as large and smooth as possible, then when you put the edging material on, if you select the right stating point you won't even be able to see the joint where the two ends meet up. I'll have to take some pic's of my setup, I forgot to do it when someone else asked me to take some. Give me a few minutes I'll post some pics up.

Users who are viewing this thread