Hood Liner Mod How To

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I know this has been done a few times, but I've received quite a few ?'s on it so here goes...
Anyways, it's a simple cheap mod that takes little time and looks great. Here's the materials you'll need or I did anyways:
1. Box cutters or sharp scissors.
2. Flat black spray paint (glossy works but looks like crap IMO)
3. Scotch Guard
4. Acrylic paint color of your choice and angle brush (Michael's art supply has them) if you wish to have Cobra colored.
5. Flex Trim (got mine from Marine world).
ldutx

6. Interior tab removal tool (from auto zone). Looks like a weed digger (not a must, but makes removal of blanket easier, only $2).
ldusz

Steps:
1. Take Appolstery tool and remove black tabs securing Blanket to hood. Also remove grounding strap.
2. Spray paint the blanket with the black paint (I did three coats and still looks good) and let it dry.
3. If you opt to do the Cobra lettering now is the time. I used a bottle cap of paint and angle brush to dab in it. I had to free hand it, as there is no easy way to do it. Slow back and forth strokes to get all the pores of the blanket filled. This took the longest to get to look good.
4. Spray blanket with scotch guard. I did as many coats as the can would allow. Took about 30 min for each coat to dry.
5. When everything is dry, take the exacto knife or scissors and cut out the portion of the blanket that covers the flaps. I had to put the blanket back on the car and kinda outline this, cut, go back, cut etc. until it was perfect to me. This is a lengthy and messy process as the blanket frays and asbestos goes all over, but take your time.
6. Once you're satisfied with the hole size, take your flex trim and guestimate a length for your first hole. The easiest way to get the flex trim on there is to take pliers and bend the flex trim so it's almost an L instead of a U. This takes time but is much easier to get on the blanket. Then bend the flex trim back down to secure the edges.
7. Open the flaps to the scoops. Most people cut them but there is no point since you can just shove them behind the blanket.
8. Secure the blanket back on the hood and you're good to go.
lduux

Fast Willy

Established Member
I actaully did this mod today. Don't use scissors because the heat shield will tear a lot easier. Use box cutters or a rasor blade. That the hole shield off and cut from the top side of it not the bottom trust me it wont fall apart as easy. But that is a really good idea about putting the rubber piece around the edges. I think im gonna have to go get some. And you don need that tool. the tabs are really esay to just pull off.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Where do you get the flex trim? I can not find any.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Boaters world, Marine World, any boating store will have it, or you can find it on Ebay under flextrim or tacotrim.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Do you have any left over that you would be willing to sell?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The 1/2 inch just seems like it would be to thick. I would think that 3/8ths would be a better fit.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I just took the entire blanket off! I think that pretty much solved everything and the hassle of any further modifications. :p

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
HISSMAN & O3YLLWGUY:

I found this flex trim at a glass and upholstery center just down the street from me. It is about $5/yard and I can get you guys some if you want.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
TrueBlueGT said:
HISSMAN & O3YLLWGUY:

I found this flex trim at a glass and upholstery center just down the street from me. It is about $5/yard and I can get you guys some if you want.

I'll take 2 yards. Let me know what you want me to do.

Thanks,

Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I will send the Paypal now. My address will be attached to the paypal payment info.

Thanks,

Jeff.

Will $15.00 for the piece and your trouble be enough?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
$15 sent. The fee should be less than .75 cents. If it is more, or you need more money let me know, and I will make it right.

Thanks,

Jeff

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
No, that should be more than plenty. When I said a little bit, I meant like a dollar. I will get it in the mail tomorrow:thumbsup:

I am glad I finally found this stuff. I have been to a half dozen different stores and I always got this deer-in-the-headlights look from them when I tell them what I am doing and what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread