Hood Liner Mod How To

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Unless you have a yellow car with a green underhood with greese pencil and masking tape lines...

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I didn't see the post till now, I have plenty of flex trim if anybody still needs any. I guess a little too late on my part.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I have a couple suggestions to make that I found made my mod come out really clean.

1. In order to mark the hood blanket so you can get really clean and symetrical holes cut, remove the blanket, pop the hood vents out, then replace the blanket with just a couple push pins, then take a felt marker and mark your cuts on the back side of the blanket.

2. I found that using a Fine Tooth Hack Saw Blade by itself holding it with a leather glove cut the blanket just like butter and left a super clean edge and was really easy to follow the lines I made on the back side. I ended up with 2 perfect pieces when I finished my cuts.

HoodCutOuts.jpg

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Great suggestion, wish I would have thought of that when I did mine, that would indeed make it much easier and cleaner.

03RedCobra

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Just rip that useless hood liner off and be done with it.

But, not all of us are lucky enough to have the underiside of the hood painted all the way !! I took my hoodliner off, and noticed there is about a foot long area the length of the hood where they didn't bother putting any paint on. Cheap Bastards at Ford !!!!

droz

Established Member
As a alternative for the flex trim, use 3M Scotch, P/N 2228 (1 in x 10 ft x .065 in)Rubber Mastic tape. This stuff is cheap and can be found at any Home Depot. Stuff looks just like the pictures show above and is moldable. Looks great and has been on the car for a year now with no problems. Also people not familar with the 03/04 Cobra hoods thinks it is stock.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
I completely removed my hood liner months ago, and attached the flaps back with velcro. Seemed a lot easier to me than cutting the liner. But since then I have noticed a real degradation in my AM radio reception, which bothers me on the nightly commute home when I want to listen to sports talk radio. Plus I just noticed the other day that the adhesive on the velcro has failed, probably due to the engine heat, so now the flaps are just hanging down.
So now I am leaning toward cutting the blanket and putting it back on, to both improve the AM radio reception and to hold the flaps up behind the blanket.
My underside of the hood also has some tape on it that was left on for the factory paint job, and it is not completely painted, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
That 3M rubber mastic tape sounds ideal!
Good for outdoor applications, with a strong as heck adhesive and high heat capabilty. Here is a 3M data sheet on it: DATA SHEET

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I read a year ago about a guy on here that used the tape and after a few months it started peeling off. If it works for you right on, if you just put it on, I'd watch it so it doesn't make a mess.

Grey03L

SVT Dogg
Established Member
For some reason I am unable to view some of the pictures posted.
Can someone repost a couple of pictures after the mod was done? Including those who did it differently?
Thanks

BurnTire

Established Member
Flex Trim

Do you still have some flex trim left? If so how many feet. I cut the blanket way down so I can close the flaps when I wash the car. Need about 10 feet.
Thanks
Jeff
BurnTine

03yllwguy said:
I didn't see the post till now, I have plenty of flex trim if anybody still needs any. I guess a little too late on my part.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
I have a couple suggestions to make that I found made my mod come out really clean.

1. In order to mark the hood blanket so you can get really clean and symetrical holes cut, remove the blanket, pop the hood vents out, then replace the blanket with just a couple push pins, then take a felt marker and mark your cuts on the back side of the blanket.

2. I found that using a Fine Tooth Hack Saw Blade by itself holding it with a leather glove cut the blanket just like butter and left a super clean edge and was really easy to follow the lines I made on the back side. I ended up with 2 perfect pieces when I finished my cuts.

HoodCutOuts.jpg

Got any pics of the final thing, BLK03SVT10TH??

I'll be doing this mod Jan 23rd at a get together, so I want to get the best cut holes possible. Also, what color marker? Just a typical sharpie felt tip permanent? Does it show up on the black??

Also, I got 1/4" flex trim. They had 3/8" flex trim, but I got the 1/4". Will it fit? Should I take it back and get the 3/8"???

Let me know fellas :thumbsup:

Alaskan Cobra

I'm a first time poster to this site. I have an '04 Cobra with 2000 miles on it. It was my daily driver from April until 1 Nov when the snow hit. My hood blanket has become very tattered (shredding) to the drivers side of center. I've looked for what could cause this but cannot find the culprit. Has anyone else come across this and if so what outcome did you discover? I'm thinking seriously about removing it altogether and have read what problems have come from that, i.e. AM radio reception. That is not a concern for me but the added heat to the hood and the possible paint fading on the hood does worry me. It doesn't get hot here in Alaska, mabe a high of 80 degrees on the hottest of days. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

PDubs

Established Member
Took mine off today but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the vent covers: Cut up or velcro. Either way, the middle area of my hood doesn't seem to be painted, and I don't care cause it looks better than my water-stained hood liner!

03Cobra19

Established Member
03RedCobra said:
But, not all of us are lucky enough to have the underiside of the hood painted all the way !! I took my hoodliner off, and noticed there is about a foot long area the length of the hood where they didn't bother putting any paint on. Cheap Bastards at Ford !!!!

Dear god, I hope you don't rip out your carpet and look underneath there.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
03Cobra19 said:
And what does this "mod" do for me again???
Allows the heat extracting vents in the hood to actually vent. You can accomplish the same thing by removing it all together.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea this is a awesome free mod, i removed the hood-blanket and then i ripped off the flaps. whats so cool about this mod is that when you come to a stop light, and you look above the vents as your sitting in the car you can see the heatwaves rise. it's pretty cool and it's awesome that those vents are being used.

Users who are viewing this thread