Hood Liner Mod How To

jpk

Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
Here ya go!

HoodMod.jpg

Very clean install, Black03. I bought some Flex Trim, but then I returned it when I realized that the thickness of the blanket varies and it didn't look like the Flex Trim would seal very well on the thinner parts. I just used black duct tape instead. Doesn't look as "OEM" as your job, but by using duct tape I was able to cut the holes smaller to match the shape of the vents. The tape also seems to hold the fragile foil and fiberglass together better.

03YellowVenom

Established Member
How do you attach pics on this forum theres no manage attachment option :shrug: I just finished my hood mod and looks pretty good and the heat that comes out now is unbelievable :banana:

sonic25s

Banned
my mod

03 OXFORD WHITE # 3662 OF 8394
BASSANI X PIPE
MAGNAFLOW CATBACK
SFPH 2.8 NON-SLIP PULLEY
MOTOBLUE GEN II AUX IDLER 90 mm
3:73 FINAL DRIVE
AFS 10.5” WHEELS WITH SUMITOMOS 315
KENNEY BROWN HARD LAUNCH BAR
STEEDA SPORTS SPRINGS & ENERGY SUSPENSION ISOLATORS
DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR CUSTOM TUNE
HURST BILLET SHORT SHIFT (OLD SCHOOL SHIFTER LEVER)
FIORE CLUTCH QUADRANT & MICRO CLICK FIREWALL ADJ.
K&N FILTER
NGK TR6’S
HOOD MOD
CUSTOM DECKLID (DONE BY ME)

Last edited:

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
go to a boat shop for flex trim. The one I went to had a spool of it and I just bought 3 feet for like 2 bucks. I haven't noticed any problems with the water getting in through the vents.

03YellowVenom

Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
go to a boat shop for flex trim. The one I went to had a spool of it and I just bought 3 feet for like 2 bucks. I haven't noticed any problems with the water getting in through the vents.
Wow must be cheaper in Montana, I payed like 34 bucks out hear in Oregon for A Roll, of course more like 25' ..they didnt sell it by the foot :bash:

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
03YellowVenom said:
Wow must be cheaper in Montana, I payed like 34 bucks out hear in Oregon for A Roll, of course more like 25' ..they didnt sell it by the foot :bash:
Want to sell me some of your left over trim? PM me if you do. I'd like about five feet...

jpk

Established Member
03YellowVenom said:

Yeah, it was the same price for me here in WA state. That's another reason I returned it and just used black duct tape.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I posted this over in the Vent Mod Thread a while back and figured I'd move it over to the Hood Liner Mod Thread as well. Enjoy.

After doing a pretty good job on my original Hood Blanket on my 2003 10th Anniversary, I decided to try do an even cleaner job on my 2004 Mystichrome by 3M ScotchGarding the Hood Blanket first to try to add some Water Proofing/Stain Resistance and then Paint it for even more protection.

Only time will tell how effective this is going to be at keeping the Hood Blanket in good condition.

Here are the pics for anyone who wants to do a clean Hood Blanket Mod.

Mark the back side of the Hood Blanket following the creases and rounding the corners as much as possible.

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

Using a Fine Hacksaw Blade cut in the lines you marked from the back side of the Hood Blanket.

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

These are what the cut pieces should look like.

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

These are what the holes should look like.

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

Using a regular Stapler, go around the edges of the openings to help keep them from deteriorating over time.

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

Get a large can of 3M ScotchGard from AutoZone or similar store.

IMG_1994.JPG

Hang the Hood Blanket on something and spray it with 2-3 light coats of 3M ScotchGard. Allow some time in between coats for the 3M ScotchGard to dry.

IMG_1995.JPG

Get a large can of Black Vinyl/Fabric Paint from AutoZone or similar store.

IMG_1996.JPG

Hang the Hood Blanket on something and spray it with 2-3 light coats of Black Vinyl/Fabric Paint. Allow some time in between coats for the Black Vinyl/Fabric Paint to dry.

IMG_1997.JPG

Get some pieces of Rubber Edging and carefully install it on the edges of the cut holes. Crimp the Rubber Edging with some pliers all around the opening.

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

This is the finished product.

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

Beautiful alterations on this thread, but just rip out that hood liner. Its the easy way of doign things. The paint isn't going to come off and you'll keep things cooler. Then you can some of these vents like I did.

vent1.jpg

vent3.jpg

vent2.jpg

vent4.jpg

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I'm keeping the Hood Blanket on because Ford wasn't nice enough to paint the Underside of my Hood when it came from the Factory.

I've already got the Hood Vent Mod covered with these Billetflow beauties.

WOW.JPG

WOW2.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread