Hood Corrosion..

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
While i was washing my car the other day i noticed that on the front of the hood right at the crease that the paint is starting to bubble up. I know this was a problem with past models but i havn't seen anyone post anything about it on the 11-12's. I'm assuming that this is covered under warranty..Has anyone else noticed this problem on their car?

lawnmower22

Established Member
I noticed some spots on the bottom side of my trunk but they were all in seams and appeared to be slag from an ugly weld. I'll try to post some pics. Post a couple of what you are looking at too.

Tispho

Established Member
http://articleurge.com/2012/02/ford-mustang-paint-bubbled-aluminum-panel-corrosion-tsb/

You're not alone. I have a 2011 Black Mustang and had paint failure on my hood.

I first noticed the problem after owning the car for one year. The problem will get worst with time.

I decided to paint the hood myself. When I sanded the contaminated areas down, I found what appeared to be severe oxidation. On the aluminum hood itself, I found small areas that appeared to be specs of rust. Probably from iron contamination. These could not be sanded out and I believe that it will happen again. The only solution would be to buy a new hood that is not contaminated.

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It is covered by warranty.

Ford has had problems with paint on body panels for years.

Fixed it.
I remember my dads brand new 1983 F-250 and his 1985 F-350 they both shed their finish. My 1991 Exploder.
But its not just Ford, GM had the same problem and one of a my BMW's did as well.

lawnmower22

Established Member
Well this is what I'm looking at. I think it's just poor production welding.

photo4.jpg

Sorry for the phone pic.

kevinp

Established Member
FWIW I just noticed a spot right above the center of each headlight on the bottom edge of the hood that looks like something is growing under the paint. I thought it was just a dried on bug or something at first but its under the paint.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if they are growing, right now they are maybe 1/4" in diameter, paint doesnt feel spongy or loose and didnt peel off with my fingernail so who knows.

My decklid doesnt have any of those spots, its just a nice clean crease all the way across. Hard to tell by the pic what it is. The decklid is steel on these, not aluminum like the hood, so rust is possible if there is no paint in that seam.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
FWIW I just noticed a spot right above the center of each headlight on the bottom edge of the hood that looks like something is growing under the paint. I thought it was just a dried on bug or something at first but its under the paint.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if they are growing, right now they are maybe 1/4" in diameter, paint doesnt feel spongy or loose and didnt peel off with my fingernail so who knows.

My decklid doesnt have any of those spots, its just a nice clean crease all the way across. Hard to tell by the pic what it is. The decklid is steel on these, not aluminum like the hood, so rust is possible if there is no paint in that seam.

probably just dirt that got in the paint, when it was getting painted.

kevinp

Established Member
probably just dirt that got in the paint, when it was getting painted.

Maybe, time will tell, but its a pretty good sized lump on each side. Strange its in the same place on both sides. I never noticed it until I was washing it today, could have been the same way a year ago.

Not going to lose much sleep over it, I'm just happy not to have any big rock dings on the front edge of the hood after a year and a half.

jonp

Established Member
I have the same thing near an overlapping seam like that on my driver side door. I was told by the dealer that it was a gob of body panel assembly sealer. I guess they use some sort of glue to hold the panels in place before weld, and it just gets painted over.

dc2r

Established Member

bump. i was wondering what the outcome was with your issues. i have the exact same problem just as you described it. i tried to take a pic but the camera phone quality was no good. i haven't been having much luck with dealerships lately so this is just more woe for me.

i have read some other threads online. quite a few of those who have had theirs repaired under warranty have only had more corrosion show up on other parts of the hood. this is the first thread i've seen that ford has replaced the entire hood instead of stringing it out until the warranty expires.

should i toss this aluminum hood in the recycling bin and look for a composite hood instead? or maybe do a 2013-up nose job? or does the 2013-up models become rustangs also...

Last edited:

Badlilstang

Established Member
My car is white, but my rear bumper is a light cream color. Going to have ford fix it this spring.

Funny you say that.. I saw a white Roush the other day with the same issue.. it had an almost yellow tint to the paint.. I noticed on my Oxford White I just bought the front bumper is a tint yellow compared to the rest of hte car. If I didn't point it no one would notice. I spent a lot of time helping a paint and body shop and now see things I never would have before.

scott_0

Established Member
the hood on my 11' was replaced under warranty due to corrosion back in late August, early September

20redfire03

Established Member
My car is white, but my rear bumper is a light cream color. Going to have ford fix it this spring.

Funny you say that.. I saw a white Roush the other day with the same issue.. it had an almost yellow tint to the paint.. I noticed on my Oxford White I just bought the front bumper is a tint yellow compared to the rest of hte car. If I didn't point it no one would notice. I spent a lot of time helping a paint and body shop and now see things I never would have before.

I really hope I don't start noticing this on mine. So far I haven't but its been to damn cold to wash it so I haven't been up with the paint lately.

nordy racer

Established Member
yup my kona was doing this also.. I have a aftermarket hood on the car now but ford took my stock hood and replaced it with a new one and painted it. they will take all kinds of photos of the car and forward it to Ford Head quarters for review.. mine to about 2 weeks to get a reply.

mpette

Established Member
I had paint issues on the underside front lip of the hood on my 2011 GT/CS. The dealer said that it was a known issue with the aluminum
hoods and they repainted it for me under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread