Hood Corrosion..

dc2r

Established Member
I was just with a bodyshop owner I know who looked at my problem and he told me they used to get these jobs from the Ford dealer near him all the time, but they would only pay for the minimum work, ie. sand and spot paint the affected area. They had never done an entire hood respray or replacement for this issue. But they stopped getting the jobs because apparently they went an even cheaper route by using mobile companies like Colorworks to do the repairs.

On the other message boards, I am reading that this does not fall under corrosion warranty, which has longer coverage than paint defects, which i understand is only 3 years, and is what the dealers are claiming it as. Once the 3 years expires you are own your own? And since aluminum will never rust through there is no way to claim corrosion? Can someone confirm this?

NickSezz

Established Member
Yep I had the same thing on mine. They had to repaint the hood.

+1

Had to buff & polish the new paint myself since dealership body shops are not always the best. I noticed the new paint on the front of my hood is also less susceptible to rock chips now. I swear every time I used to get off the freeway iIwould be missing more paint. Now, not so much..

dc2r

Established Member
+1

Had to buff & polish the new paint myself since dealership body shops are not always the best. I noticed the new paint on the front of my hood is also less susceptible to rock chips now. I swear every time I used to get off the freeway iIwould be missing more paint. Now, not so much..

i used to be fine until they did some major road construction on the freeway network where i live and now my nose is riddled with rock chips. i've tried to keep up with touching it up but it's been a losing battle. and what is ironic is that the corrosion issue that i have now is the only patch of paint on the lip of my hood that isn't chipped.

i've been wanting to do a 3M clearbra but the line it leaves where it cuts off shows up very clearly on black paint... is there any other options?

scott_0

Established Member
they would only pay for the minimum work, ie. sand and spot paint the affected area. They had never done an entire hood respray or replacement for this issue.
as I posted earlier, my hood was replaced, I was happy because my car had the whack ass hood scoop that I never liked, told them since they were replacing the hood, leave the scoop off, they obliged and left it off.

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
After a failed first attempt, I went for broke and went to another dealer after work last night that was close by. It was late in the day so the service manager was already gone. Front desk told me to go around the back to the bodyshop and see the bodyshop manager who was still there.

Upon inspection the bodyshop manager said it was one of the worst he has seen so far, and I am the first of the 2010-up models that has come to their shop with this problem (they used to deal with a lot of 05-09's before their warranties expired).

Upon further inspection the manager found a small spot starting over the other headlight, and two other areas on the underside that I wasn't even aware of because my car has a lot of winter crap on it and it is too cold to wash. One was underneath one of the ones on the top of the hood, and the other one was a huge patch next to the hood latch.

The bodyshop manager said this is not considered to be corrosion, and would fall under paint defect warranty, which is only 3 years/60k kms in Canada. After a VIN check, it was determined that I still have a month left on that warranty, so I am still covered. They took my information down and told me to expect a call back from the service manager.

I got the call this morning to come in ASAP to see the service manager I missed yesterday so that they can take pictures of the damage and send them to Ford Canada, and wait at most one week for a decision. If it is approved, they will only repaint the hood, not replace it. But because my car is black, there will be extra work needed to blend into the fenders as well. Ford will not give me a loaner vehicle so I will have to rent one on my own. Total turnaround is 3-5 days.

Will have more info later today after I go back...

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
got the car back. had mixed results.

the top of the hood was painted well. but they cut polished it to get all the dirt out of the clear and there are swirl marks all over it, including where they had to blend into the fenders (my car is black which dosen't help). local detailer warned me not to go back and demand that they fix it because they will only make it worse. it's too cold for me to go outside and buff it out so i will have to stare at this all spring :(

IMG00506-20140203-1726_zpsae08a30b.jpg

because they had to dig out and reapply all the seam sealer again, they had to repaint the underside of the hood as well. demand that they get you a replacement emissions sticker. they only masked it off on my hood and it looks like crap. ford apparently won't pay for a new one... just how expensive is it for an emissions sticker?!?

bodyshop also told me ford will not do any warranty extension for paint defects. my factory coverage ends in a few months so i would be on my own after that. bodyshop will only cover any workmanship defects on their part and that's it so if this starts up again it would be on my own dime... is this true for everyone who has had their hoods redone?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
I have already have my car to the dealer once to have the hood painted due to corrosion under the paint on the front edge. They did a piss poor job and it took 3 times to get the runs and spots with primer showing through fixed. Now 8 months later its doing it again!!!

corruptor

Established Member
I had the same problem. Serramonte Ford in Colma, CA repainted my whole hood. They did a great job. Top of the hood blends in with the rest of the body panels, and they even repainted the underside so now it's fully painted unlike from the factory.

dc2r

Established Member
i grudgingly admit that the underside of my hood does look better. before there was was more primer showing than paint, so it looked more brown than black. but when i look at the crooked tape marks and overspray all around the sticker it makes me go meh... oh well. it's not a show car. i just hope the corrosion dosen't come back like how it unfortunately has for bluesmokem5.0 :(

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Mine is a 2011, I keep it very clean and the car is garage kept,not a daily driver!! I live in Florida and the dealership tried to say the cause of the issue was due to the salt air lol. I don't live on the beach, and if the primer and paint were sealing the metal like there supost to I wouldn't have this issue yet again.

scott_0

Established Member
Just spotted hood bubbling on my black 11. Anyone knows what the warranty is on paint?
idk know the exact coverage, but you won't be covered sadly

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

dc2r

Established Member
sorry i stand corrected. it's 3 years here in canada. i am going to assume it's the same in the usa.

i remember reading about a class action lawsuit in the usa against ford for this. the legal firm was canvassing for victims to come forward. maybe if you google it there might be some more information on it's progress, if any.

scott_0

Established Member
5 years i think.

If 5 years i think i should be still covered, bought the car in june 2011.
I do not believe it is 5yrs, I had the corrosion issue and was covered thankfully, but I just fell inside the warranty time frame, it's 5yrs for corrosion that goes through or perforation as they call it, I do not believe the hood bubbling will fall under corrosion, I did a lot of research when I had the corrosion issue, I was concerned it would happen again. google it

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mfc133

Established Member
It's only covered by your 3yr/36k bumper to bumper. Even if you get the ESP you're still out of luck. Your only recourse after 3yrs is to appeal to Ford corporate. Don't expect your dealer to do this for you, you gotta contact Ford customer service yourself.

RusWolf

Established Member
If they refuse to cover, that will kind of be BS.
Relatively new car and paint bubbling defect..

For those of you who had to pay out of pocket, what did it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread