Hood blanket

silvercoffin

Established Member

The flaps are pieces of plastic underneath the hoodliner that almost completely cover those vents in our hoods. The vents were really just for show from ford but people either cut the flaps that cover them off or swivel them back so they can snap them back into place in rain. Ford says that too much water gets into the engine bay without the flaps in place.

So you can just take off the hoodliner if you just want it to look painted, but if you want the engine bay cooler you should pop out the covers that are over the vents.

I wont take my liner off because I really believe that it will eventually damage the hood..although it might take a while. Ford puts very little paint on these cars so I dont care how well its cured...imop its going to get damaged from the heat eventually.

I am surprised no one has made an after market hoodliner that comes with the vent cut outs and one that is decorative as well. I think that would sell great. They make them for vettes, but I cant find any for mustangs.

Alex Kovacevic

stock03
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
The flaps are pieces of plastic underneath the hoodliner that almost completely cover those vents in our hoods. The vents were really just for show from ford but people either cut the flaps that cover them off or swivel them back so they can snap them back into place in rain. Ford says that too much water gets into the engine bay without the flaps in place.

So you can just take off the hoodliner if you just want it to look painted, but if you want the engine bay cooler you should pop out the covers that are over the vents.

I wont take my liner off because I really believe that it will eventually damage the hood..although it might take a while. Ford puts very little paint on these cars so I dont care how well its cured...imop its going to get damaged from the heat eventually.

I am surprised no one has made an after market hoodliner that comes with the vent cut outs and one that is decorative as well. I think that would sell great. They make them for vettes, but I cant find any for mustangs.
definetly agree

Alex Kovacevic

stock03
Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
I am intrested in the method, could you provide a more detailed explaination...
any photo's?

Thanks in advance for any additional info anyone can provide :thumbsup:
Sorry, digital camera broken.
Basically what I did was cut a perfect square in the underhood lining blanket around both vents with an exactoknife[very easy to cut through] Then I simply popped the top portions of the plastic flaps off and bent the flaps backwords leaving the vents completly open, well, not completly open, you still have the plastic hood inserts. Definetly do not break the flaps completly for you will be dearly sorry if you leave your car outside in the rain. I would also definetly not recommend taking the whole blanket out because of the heat damage it can cause to the paint. Yeah, people haven't seen damage yet, but our cars are only 2-3 years old. wait a few years. Hope this clarifies things for you.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Doc2003Cobra said:
I'm interested only in removing it completely, that is why I am confused about the flap issue.
Take it off and velcro the flaps back. Mine has been this way for 25,000+ miles with not one issue. The car has 42k miles on it as we speak.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Doc2003Cobra said:
Please expand on the flaps things, can't I just remove it and nothing else has to be done. If I do that is there a problem with driving in the rain?

I moved my flaps back months ago - and noticed that in the rain the water can get onto where the air filter is located. If you have an open element filter, there is potential of it getting wet.

I raised the issue in the past - but most here seem to agree that the water that gets in is not enough to cause problems. For myself, I just have a drop in K&N so it was not a concern for myself either at this time.

Last edited:

Romans8:28

Established Member
Alex Kovacevic said:
Sorry, digital camera broken.
Basically what I did was cut a perfect square in the underhood lining blanket around both vents with an exactoknife[very easy to cut through] Then I simply popped the top portions of the plastic flaps off and bent the flaps backwords leaving the vents completly open, well, not completly open, you still have the plastic hood inserts. Definetly do not break the flaps completly for you will be dearly sorry if you leave your car outside in the rain. I would also definetly not recommend taking the whole blanket out because of the heat damage it can cause to the paint. Yeah, people haven't seen damage yet, but our cars are only 2-3 years old. wait a few years. Hope this clarifies things for you.

yes it did! thank you very much and thanks to all the others too who added input :thumbsup:

Got to love this forum :bowdown:

cobra1718

Established Member
here is my attempt to mod the blanket. I just moved the flaps under the blanket to give me the option to put back if needed

blanket10151.jpg

blanket1015.jpg

silvercoffin

Established Member

I tried cutting my ripped up liner for practice to see how it looked and although I have seen some on here that look nice I couldnt get it to look ok. It alwaysa came apart

Users who are viewing this thread