Hood blanket

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
Sorry if some of you feel this is a repost but maybe after a few month/years people can chime in. I'm wondering if I remove the hood blanket will I peal off my hood paint eventually. Most of my driving is highway miles, let me know thanks, Doc. :beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member

I have heard that a lot, but most people who have done it say no. Are you sure your hood looks ok underneath? Mine isnt even painted all the way so I put a new liner on after the original started looking bad and got all ripped up from a broken belt

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
I don't think it will ever cause a problem. The heat from the engine has never caused paint to peel on the inner fenders and that gets just as much heat as the hood.

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
Well, today, I kind of pealed it back a little and it looks like it's painted, but there is so much dust buildup on it, the engine compartment suffers a little.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Doc2003Cobra said:
Sorry if some of you feel this is a repost but maybe after a few month/years people can chime in. I'm wondering if I remove the hood blanket will I peal off my hood paint eventually. Most of my driving is highway miles, let me know thanks, Doc. :beer:
NO........Well, at least there's tons of guys that have had it off for three years now and can't think of one report of paint damage caused by excessive engine heat........

2003 Silver

Banned
Machinator said:
What are the benefits of taking it off?

The idea is to take it off and either velcro tape the vents open of cut off the vent flaps thus letting the hot engine bay cool down quicker etc.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
I have heard that a lot, but most people who have done it say no. Are you sure your hood looks ok underneath? Mine isnt even painted all the way so I put a new liner on after the original started looking bad and got all ripped up from a broken belt

I have had the same problem from a broken belt. How much did it cost to replace it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Many claim removing the blanket can cause paint issues related to heat, but I've yet to see an actual instance here. Cosmetically the engine compartment looks a lot nicer with it removed, especially if the underside of your hood was finished at the factory. Many have a satin finished paint under the liner.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if its not painted under there then ya dont have to worry about paint anyway.....

ive had my car's engine over 250f repeatedly and my car's hood paint is fine.

its more for looks and shielding than anything else. you'll get more interference on the AM dial without it.

Alex Kovacevic

stock03
Established Member
Just make a clean cut with an exacto-knife through the blanket then fold the flaps back. When it rains, flip the flaps right back into their spots.
= 8 degrees cooler engine compartment. Tested on 82 degree day.

I measured the temp after testing each way with two same trips in the same heat. This free mod cooled it 8 degrees exactly. Another free mod!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Mine has been off for along time with no issues. IMO just take it off and be done with it. The blower whine is just sick without it. :-D

Romans8:28

Established Member
Alex Kovacevic said:
Just make a clean cut with an exacto-knife through the blanket then fold the flaps back. When it rains, flip the flaps right back into their spots.
= 8 degrees cooler engine compartment. Tested on 82 degree day.

I measured the temp after testing each way with two same trips in the same heat. This free mod cooled it 8 degrees exactly. Another free mod!

I am intrested in the method, could you provide a more detailed explaination...
any photo's?

Thanks in advance for any additional info anyone can provide :thumbsup:

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know about you guys, but the paint on top of the hood over the S/C started feeling a little rough when applying wax. Since then it is installed again freshly painted.

Users who are viewing this thread