Homelink in my Cobra

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I was not to keen on putting the Homelink into the sun visor. The more I studied how others have done it, the more I read comments like "I have 2 or 3 torn up unusable sun visors" comments. I took inspiration from this guy though:
[ame=http://www.sx4club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7898]SX4 Homelink Install - How to - SX4 Forums[/ame]

I thought I'd go ahead and do something similar, and I think it turned out pretty good. Since I have a convertible, I don't really have the headliner to do what that guy did. However, I knew I had a ton of space to put it in the A Pillar instead.

Here are some crappy phone pics of the finished product:
SNC01313.jpg

SNC01314.jpg

SNC01311.jpg

SNC01312.jpg

For security reasons - I have it wired to a switched fuse, so the key needs to be in the ignition for it to have power. The actual circuit ended up under the dash, as close to the outside wall as I could place it. First day working with the new buttons, and so far so good.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I like the HomeLink in my SUV, but I wondered about re-wiring it to switched power...

Wouldn't that erase the saved code(s) once power is removed? Would like to find out though!

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Removing power does not erase the codes.

I tested the Homelink before installing, and programmed my garage door to it. After the install - 3 days later without power - it still had it programmed into it.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
prob a silly question...but i truly am clueless on this one. WTF is "homelink" ?

edit: just something you can program your garage door opener to?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

^search homelink and read. Basically used to open garage doors and now comes in a lot of vehicles from the factory. also can be used to turn lights on and off, I think arm home alarms, etc.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Have it in my truck and love it, and freed up a opener for my car. I just don't drive my car enough to justify installing it. You did a good job on the install.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
^search homelink and read. Basically used to open garage doors and now comes in a lot of vehicles from the factory. also can be used to turn lights on and off, I think arm home alarms, etc.

thank you for summing it up! :beer:

i had ran a quick google search, before posting the question...but everything that was coming up, was home stuff...so i wasnt sure if it was pulling up the right stuff. thanks again, for confirming! =]

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Nice work!

I've been toying with a similar idea myself. The mirrors cost too much and I was thinking of putting one in the visor. I may do something similar to what you did.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats why I have a wife...."Get out and catch the garage door will ya, and turn the garage light on quick to..thanks"....j/k

Looks good, 1st time I've seen something like that in the A pillar

:beer:

TRBO VNM

thank you for summing it up! :beer:

i had ran a quick google search, before posting the question...but everything that was coming up, was home stuff...so i wasnt sure if it was pulling up the right stuff. thanks again, for confirming! =]

Gotcha. Sorry, hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Wasn't trying to be an ass. And yeah, they typically came in $$$$ vehicles, but now almost everything has them from what I have seen. awesome feature. :beer:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Gotcha. Sorry, hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Wasn't trying to be an ass. And yeah, they typically came in $$$$ vehicles, but now almost everything has them from what I have seen. awesome feature. :beer:

nah, no need to apologize my friend. =] i definitely did not take your post the wrong way...and i DO appreciate the quick summary/answer to my question. i truly was clue-less. =]

:beer: :rockon:

and i agree...it IS a cool feature. and OP you did a good job, on a nice/clean install. i like the buttons on the pillar.

Last edited:

Dominican_7

Established Member
I just bought a $18 remote from eBay and put it in the glove box. Like 03COBRA#694 said, i don't drive my car enough to dish out the money.

Nevertheless, install clean OP:beer:

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yet another item to add to the list for me one day. I drive mine enough that I get sick of having to switch my opener between my dd and the Cobra. Or like above I could just buy another remote, but that's almost too easy...

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I would have done it through the mirror personally. Of even cut it into the headliner.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm tempted to move it into the little headliner I do have in a convertible. I have an extra trim piece to work with - so it may be moved soon. I don't like the mirror idea though - I feel like I would be nudging the mirror every time I pressed one of the buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread