Home solar panels

sleek98

Established Member
I have a dumb question. Do these systems offer a "capacitor" that can store unused energy generated by the solar panels?

You can use batteries, but they are REALLY expensive. I send my overproduction from the day back to the power company and get to draw it back out at night. So they are my battery backup for 11 bucks a month customer charge.

08mojo

Established Member
I have a dumb question. Do these systems offer a "capacitor" that can store unused energy generated by the solar panels?

No. Batteries are starting to enter the market and are expected to become more common, but capacitors have not been viable.

If there is excess power generated that the home or business cannot use, the power goes to the grid. This is why net metering exists. You get a 'bank' of power generation per month. At the end of the month, your utility looks at how much power you use and how much you generate--regardless of the time of day the power was used/generated. You pay (or get paid) for the net (difference).

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
solar is the biggest ****ing scam. you wont save any money unless you live in the same house for 20+ years. statistically most people move every 5-7 years. all these people say oh it's worth it blah blah blah ....NO it's not ****ing worth it. My inlaws wasted 30 grand and their bill is $300. Wanna save money ? Stop cranking your goddamn AC at 60 degrees and stop running the washer all day. My bill is UNDER $75 a month and my house is 2500 sq feet. I also live in hot climate. you can save money you just have to be smart about the energy you use and the time of day you use it.
not true. As has been said there are a lot of factors that go into it. Also kommifrnia is home to some of the biggest solar scams around. Solar city being one of them. The deal I got on my house was awesome and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But your grandparents experience is the reason I tell people to research research research and when they think they are done research some more. You have to look at a ton of stuff, not the least of which is the companies wanting your business

Out here the California Public Utility Commission recently granted approval to allow Pacific Gas & Electric to up their flat fee charge to solar customers. It should be no secret that PGE is on probation and in bankruptcy protection status due to causing or being accused of causing 3 of the largest fires in California’s history over the last 3-4 years.
It is this reason why I will not put solar up. The CPUC will just keep allowing utilities to charge them more because they are using less and after you pay the note for solar and PGE, are you really saving any money?
mommiesfornia is a whole different kettle of fish. You only want to put solar up that will get you into tier one or two. Anything more than that is a waste and if you stay in them without solar, then solar would not make sense. There are a number of state (mostly liberal) that are allowing companies to charge solar customers a usage fee. Kommiefornia started the trend and I am not surprised at all that they are allowing them to screw their customers with solar

No. Batteries are starting to enter the market and are expected to become more common, but capacitors have not been viable.

If there is excess power generated that the home or business cannot use, the power goes to the grid. This is why net metering exists. You get a 'bank' of power generation per month. At the end of the month, your utility looks at how much power you use and how much you generate--regardless of the time of day the power was used/generated. You pay (or get paid) for the net (difference).
this depends on the jurisdiction. Texas does not phave net metering for example. I get paid for my overproduction during the day at the same rate I buy it at night but there is no banking of credits.

As far as batteries go it also depends on where you live. Even if they become affordable most jurisdictions have rules agains living it townond not being connected to the grid so there will be a lot to work out

Users who are viewing this thread