Home solar panels

nxhappy

Established Member
solar is the biggest ****ing scam. you wont save any money unless you live in the same house for 20+ years. statistically most people move every 5-7 years. all these people say oh it's worth it blah blah blah ....NO it's not ****ing worth it. My inlaws wasted 30 grand and their bill is $300. Wanna save money ? Stop cranking your goddamn AC at 60 degrees and stop running the washer all day. My bill is UNDER $75 a month and my house is 2500 sq feet. I also live in hot climate. you can save money you just have to be smart about the energy you use and the time of day you use it.

nxhappy

Established Member
I think I'll just keep paying like I always have. Hell, I'd probably build a new house before this system even turned in the positive as far as cost savings.

by 2024 you will be in a new mansion. Wanna bet me ?

My94GT

Established Member
solar is the biggest ****ing scam. you wont save any money unless you live in the same house for 20+ years. statistically most people move every 5-7 years. all these people say oh it's worth it blah blah blah ....NO it's not ****ing worth it. My inlaws wasted 30 grand and their bill is $300. Wanna save money ? Stop cranking your goddamn AC at 60 degrees and stop running the washer all day. My bill is UNDER $75 a month and my house is 2500 sq feet. I also live in hot climate. you can save money you just have to be smart about the energy you use and the time of day you use it.
Meh who wants to be so frugal, I like to crank the AC, wash lods of laundry and dishes lol.

Anyway I still haven’t got quotes yet. We’re deciding if we’re going to do an addition on our home first. The problem is some changes at my work may have us looking to move again in another year or two but nothing is set in stone yet there.

This thread is very helpful however with good info and I’ve met more then a few people in my area who have benefited from solar so I won’t just write it off

nxhappy

Established Member
Meh who wants to be so frugal, I like to crank the AC, wash lods of laundry and dishes lol.

Anyway I still haven’t got quotes yet. We’re deciding if we’re going to do an addition on our home first. The problem is some changes at my work may have us looking to move again in another year or two but nothing is set in stone yet there.

This thread is very helpful however with good info and I’ve met more then a few people in my area who have benefited from solar so I won’t just write it off

sounds like you are moving already lol ....

My94GT

Established Member
sounds like you are moving already lol ....
There is a lot up in the air right now. When we built our house a year ago I was working 15min from home but a growth based opportunity presented itself an hour further away. With having just had our first child I find myself hating the drive, but I love the job so I may revisit in a year and potentially build another home closer to work.

The bright side is it would be a chance to do it again with more knowledge this go round.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

Yeah, but some of don’t like our nuts sticking to our legs. Also, few things are more annoying than having the head of my meat hammer getting caught in my knee pit.

sleek98

Established Member

Easy big boy. It’s not for everyone but some people do benefit from it greatly. All comes down to rates, plans and rebates.

I plan to have the ac running in my house and 2,000 sq foot garage all summer long and still have no bill. Efficient build plus efficient units makes keeping the place cool. Not to hard.

For 30k sounds like they got ripped off if they still owe 300 a month.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Easy big boy. It’s not for everyone but some people do benefit from it greatly. All comes down to rates, plans and rebates.

I plan to have the ac running in my house and 2,000 sq foot garage all summer long and still have no bill. Efficient build plus efficient units makes keeping the place cool. Not to hard.

For 30k sounds like they got ripped off if they still owe 300 a month.
Exactly. Know what you’re getting into before committing. Plus, who wants to suffer and wash your clothes with a rock by candlelight. Our electric company doesn’t have a “time of day” discount, or reduced rates. I do wish that they would.....

My94GT

Established Member
Exactly. Know what you’re getting into before committing. Plus, who wants to suffer and wash your clothes with a rock by candlelight. Our electric company doesn’t have a “time of day” discount, or reduced rates. I do wish that they would.....
Mine does if I’m not mistaken but my wife child and dogs are home all day so it’s of no benefit to us anyway. I too would like to run the AC and heat in my garage.

08mojo

Established Member

Anything can be a scam if you don't know what you're talking about. Solar is good for a lot of people but not everyone. You have to study: your energy habits, the rules of your state, the rules of your city and the rules of your utility. If you live in a solar friendly state, chances are it has a high potential to save you a lot of money. If you don't live in a solar friendly state, then prepare to pay more for power. Since you're from California, and assuming your in-laws are also in CA, I'd be willing to be their system is way undersized for the amount of power they use. Solar is not magic, and if you consume a lot of power, it's going to cost you--especially with the tiered rates of CA.

Stanger00

Established Member
Anything can be a scam if you don't know what you're talking about. Solar is good for a lot of people but not everyone. You have to study: your energy habits, the rules of your state, the rules of your city and the rules of your utility. If you live in a solar friendly state, chances are it has a high potential to save you a lot of money. If you don't live in a solar friendly state, then prepare to pay more for power. Since you're from California, and assuming your in-laws are also in CA, I'd be willing to be their system is way undersized for the amount of power they use. Solar is not magic, and if you consume a lot of power, it's going to cost you--especially with the tiered rates of CA.

Out here the California Public Utility Commission recently granted approval to allow Pacific Gas & Electric to up their flat fee charge to solar customers. It should be no secret that PGE is on probation and in bankruptcy protection status due to causing or being accused of causing 3 of the largest fires in California’s history over the last 3-4 years.

It is this reason why I will not put solar up. The CPUC will just keep allowing utilities to charge them more because they are using less and after you pay the note for solar and PGE, are you really saving any money?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

08mojo

Established Member
Out here the California Public Utility Commission recently granted approval to allow Pacific Gas & Electric to up their flat fee charge to solar customers. It should be no secret that PGE is on probation and in bankruptcy protection status due to causing or being accused of causing 3 of the largest fires in California’s history over the last 3-4 years.

It is this reason why I will not put solar up. The CPUC will just keep allowing utilities to charge them more because they are using less and after you pay the note for solar and PGE, are you really saving any money?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

There are a lot of variables, and it's not a simple answer. If your solar is designed to only remove the top-tier residential prices in CA, it should save you money. If the system is too small, and you're still getting into upper tier costs--that's not going to save you much. If the system is too big and you're offsetting power all the way down to the base rate--that's not good.

Did they CPUC make the fees retro-active or is the fee for new installations going forward? Admittedly, I do not keep up with the residential regulations too much. My focus is more on the commercial side.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
by 2024 you will be in a new mansion. Wanna bet me ?

I'm pretty happy where I'm at. It'd be cheaper for me to build a $75k garage, than it would to sell then buy another house with it already.

But who knows... if a crazy house with garages and some land pops up, I might be all in.

There was one on the market about a year or two ago that I was really close to pulling the trigger on, but I had just finished unpacking..

Here

08mojo

Established Member
I'm pretty happy where I'm at. It'd be cheaper for me to build a $75k garage, than it would to sell then buy another house with it already.

But who knows... if a crazy house with garages and some land pops up, I might be all in.

There was one on the market about a year or two ago that I was really close to pulling the trigger on, but I had just finished unpacking..

Here

Damn! Money goes a long way in MO! You hiring?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Damn! Money goes a long way in MO! You hiring?

Money does. If I were on one of the coasts, my house/property would be worth easily 3x's what it's worth here.

Sure.

bigmoose

Established Member
Like said above, It all depends on the rates and rebates. My buddy had a system installed to cover a 500kwh monthly usage plus some. The local utility pays him for generation instead of doing an offset. The payout covers his usage bill and his loan (10yr) for the system with some to spare. After 10 years his loan is done and he'll still be generating, all the while not paying anything out of pocket. He was also able to claim the federal tax credit himself and keep it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Like said above, It all depends on the rates and rebates. My buddy had a system installed to cover a 500kwh monthly usage plus some. The local utility pays him for generation instead of doing an offset. The payout covers his usage bill and his loan (10yr) for the system with some to spare. After 10 years his loan is done and he'll still be generating, all the while not paying anything out of pocket. He was also able to claim the federal tax credit himself and keep it.

How did he arrange that? lol If I could get it for basically free, I'd do it.

bigmoose

Established Member
How did he arrange that? lol If I could get it for basically free, I'd do it.
He got a very reasonable install cost through a program where a bunch of people in town all signed up.

Also the utility company was offering very good pay rates to encourage people to generate. I think he's getting around $0.40kwh.

lilcoop03

Established Member
I have a dumb question. Do these systems offer a "capacitor" that can store unused energy generated by the solar panels?

Users who are viewing this thread