Home solar panels

08mojo

Established Member
I’m bumping this thread now because I’m contemplating a ground installation. I still need to do mor research, but am looking at a 10kw system with a thought of batteries in the future. With batteries, I can disconnect from the grid, without them I’d still lose power during a grid failure. Hopefully, there is a way to design and future proof this.

Just know that if you decide to disconnect from the grid, inverter prices go up. Then, you have the extra costs of batteries, charge controllers, and a lot more copper--it's expensive.

Batteries are coming, but I think it's still too early as prices are high! We just did an off-grid system for a customer. I now enough to be dangerous, let me know if you have any specific questions.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just know that if you decide to disconnect from the grid, inverter prices go up. Then, you have the extra costs of batteries, charge controllers, and a lot more copper--it's expensive.

Batteries are coming, but I think it's still too early as prices are high! We just did an off-grid system for a customer. I now enough to be dangerous, let me know if you have any specific questions.
THIS!!! Batteries are a losing proposition for now. including Tesla's batteries

sleek98

Established Member
Got my first full months bill after having the meter swapped out. Net charge $3.14

Attachments

• 2019-04-10 08_29_12-203821899097.jpg
    2019-04-10 08_29_12-203821899097.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 75

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a company come give me a quote... it wouldn't work for me. System size 15.6 kW DC.

The salesman told me to expect a 4% increase in electricity a year... which I've only seen about 1.6% max....but I went ahead and figured his 4%.

upload_2019-4-10_8-56-45.png

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Some good info in here. Moved to a bigger house, so I'll be watching the summer bills and decide then if it's even worth it.

Got the land space to do the ground option too, which I probably would want to do just in case a hurricane decides to hit again and the roof gets jacked up in the process.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some good info in here. Moved to a bigger house, so I'll be watching the summer bills and decide then if it's even worth it.

Got the land space to do the ground option too, which I probably would want to do just in case a hurricane decides to hit again and the roof gets jacked up in the process.

If I could do it on the ground, I most definitely would go that route. So my house wouldn't look like a damn space ship.

upload_2019-4-10_9-57-36.png

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a really steep roof, so all would be very visible.

IShvz3l4qlhrsh1000000000.jpg

sleek98

Established Member
With the back of my house/garage facing south it was perfect for me for the most output with the least amount of panels.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 125

sleek98

Established Member
I had a company come give me a quote... it wouldn't work for me. System size 15.6 kW DC.

The salesman told me to expect a 4% increase in electricity a year... which I've only seen about 1.6% max....but I went ahead and figured his 4%.

View attachment 1565227

Nick I am curious to know what cost per watt they were charging? I got 3 quotes and had a spread of 40% in cost between the three.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick I am curious to know what cost per watt they were charging? I got 3 quotes and had a spread of 40% in cost between the three.

Not sure. It doesn't say it anywhere on the proposal.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What was the total cost of the solar?

$51,480 before the tax credit for a 15.6 kW system with 52 panels.

Then after I sent him the Xcel sheet that I posted above, it magically dropped to $47,200.

sleek98

Established Member
$51,480 before the tax credit for a 15.6 kW system with 52 panels.

Then after I sent him the Xcel sheet that I posted above, it magically dropped to $47,200.

That’s roughly 3.02 a watt. I paid 2.88 a watt before rebates. So they were in the ballpark. If they were in The 4 buck range I was going to say get another opinion.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That’s roughly 3.02 a watt. I paid 2.88 a watt before rebates. So they were in the ballpark. If they were in The 4 buck range I was going to say get another opinion.

I think I'll just keep paying like I always have. Hell, I'd probably build a new house before this system even turned in the positive as far as cost savings.

sleek98

Established Member
I think I'll just keep paying like I always have. Hell, I'd probably build a new house before this system even turned in the positive as far as cost savings.

Yeah you have to be in the house for 10+ years to really make it worth your time. We just built our house and had a 40x50 detached built with it so I plan to retire or die here

Users who are viewing this thread