Home Alarms

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
You must be getting a good deal if you are willing to move there knowing the issues. Cant really go wrong with ADT or a similar company. One thing they are doing now that I recommend is getting a cell backup system. If they are smart enough to cut phone wires then the cell backup will still make the call if the apartment is breached.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have ADT, and the whole house is wired with multiple layers of defense. The system works, and ADT's response is immediate when the alarm is tripped. Happened twice in 10 years, and the police were at the door in minutes, as well as a call from ADT to check if we were OK. Buy the cell phone option with large capacity battery, so a would-be burglar doesn't defeat the alarm by cutting your phone wires. Get a two layer system that throws up a perimeter alarm on all the doors and windows that allows you to move around inside without setting it off, and an "away" option that detects sound, heat, and movement inside. Panic alarms in each room also are a good idea in case someone enters when the alarm is otherwise inhibited.

I also have fire / smoke sensors throughout the house, and water level sensors in the basement, as well as the ability to check / change alarm status by phone when I'm on vacation.

That's a good setup, but it's also pretty much the standard now in the alarm security industry as far as monitored systems. I've got a similar system here (not ADT). Love it! But here is something to be seriously aware of. Most homeowners with alarm systems are unaware that if the system uses the home phone to dial out when there is a break-in that a burglar can simply cut the phone line outside before breaking in. And that prevents the system from calling the central monitoring station if there is a break-in. Most phone lines are usually exposed on the outside of the house in an easily accessible location where the phone line can be cut. However, if the phone line is run underground until it is inside the home (with the main telephone junction box inside the home), the thief cannot tamper with the telephone line until after he has broken in.

A better option for phone notification is to have your alarm system install a cellular or 2-way radio setup. These don't use the land line so cutting the phone wires outside won't deter the system from communicating with the central monitoring station in the event of a break-in. We went with the 2-way radio option. Great peace of mind now.

Oh, and also be sure that your control panel is well protected. It is best to hide it in a closet or some other inconspicuous spot, and be sure it is locked with the key hidden elsewhere.

Panic661

Established Member
You must be getting a good deal if you are willing to move there knowing the issues. Cant really go wrong with ADT or a similar company. One thing they are doing now that I recommend is getting a cell backup system. If they are smart enough to cut phone wires then the cell backup will still make the call if the apartment is breached.

Where I live now isn't exactly better. I think the main issue was is whoever attempted the break in this last time watched the roomates move out, and knew she was there alone. Not saying that they won't attempt to break in again though.

The other times, I'm pretty sure it was ex-room mates.

That's a good setup, but it's also pretty much the standard now in the alarm security industry as far as monitored systems. I've got a similar system here (not ADT). Love it! But here is something to be seriously aware of. Most homeowners with alarm systems are unaware that if the system uses the home phone to dial out when there is a break-in that a burglar can simply cut the phone line outside before breaking in. And that prevents the system from calling the central monitoring station if there is a break-in. Most phone lines are usually exposed on the outside of the house in an easily accessible location where the phone line can be cut. However, if the phone line is run underground until it is inside the home (with the main telephone junction box inside the home), the thief cannot tamper with the telephone line until after he has broken in.

A better option for phone notification is to have your alarm system install a cellular or 2-way radio setup. These don't use the land line so cutting the phone wires outside won't deter the system from communicating with the central monitoring station in the event of a break-in. We went with the 2-way radio option. Great peace of mind now.

Oh, and also be sure that your control panel is well protected. It is best to hide it in a closet or some other inconspicuous spot, and be sure it is locked with the key hidden elsewhere.

Ty for the advice. I'm not sure how the phone lines are ran, I'll ask my uncle (he works for AT&T and will hopefully know) And will definately get the cell option as well.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
big Dog-check.
Gun with flashlight and laser sight for groggyness -check
pump action 12gauge as backup -check
living in the country on my own land where everything is quiet -check
automatic lights outside with an audible tripped alarm inside -check

sleeping well at night when I'm home. priceless.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
All the gun talk is funny, it's California not Arkansas! You dont have the right to protect property with deadly force, even if the guy got into the house and cornered you in a second story bedroom with a window you better jump out the window before you even think about shooting someone in your own house.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
All the gun talk is funny, it's California not Arkansas! You dont have the right to protect property with deadly force, even if the guy got into the house and cornered you in a second story bedroom with a window you better jump out the window before you even think about shooting someone in your own house.

regardless of state. whether the state believes I have the right to defend myself and my property, I will defend it and my family with great force. I don't shoot to wound. I don't carry a gun to scare.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
regardless of state. whether the state believes I have the right to defend myself and my property, I will defend it and my family with great force. I don't shoot to wound. I don't carry a gun to scare.

Enjoy your weekend visits at Chino or Folsom. Seriously, easier said than done when you don't live in that state. I'm all about protecting what I hold dear, that one of the reasons that I no longer live in CA.

Last edited:

mcdover

Established Member
Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the monitoring service if my biggest fear was a home invasion. Make sure the alarm is very loud and you have means to defend yourself.

Panic661

Established Member
Enjoy your weekend visits at Chino or Folsom. Seriously, easier said than done when you don't live in that state. I'm all about protecting what I hold dear, that one of the reasons that I no longer live in CA.

I am armed. And the county I live in is possibly the most conservative and pro gun in California. Many times, when the robber gets shot and tries to sue, or someone tries to charge the person living in the home, the person living in the home wins here, I just can't shoot them in the back.

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the monitoring service if my biggest fear was a home invasion. Make sure the alarm is very loud and you have means to defend yourself.

I'm looking for loud, yes. But, if I'm away, then having something to call the cops is nice as well, I don't want to get home, only to find that my stuff has been stolen.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
^^^ believe me the ADT siren is loud as hell! I mistakenly opened one of the exterior doors by accident when we first got the system and Ill tell you one thing piercingly loud!

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member

This is what I have with battery back-up.

no1sirbutler

Established Member

Everything you said is correct expect about the control panel. If you alarm is properly installed it will be going off long before they reach the control panel.

Everything said here is pretty much correct just worded differently. All alarm panels are able to communicate in a way as to tell you which zone(not room) was tripped. Its done in the format it reports through. I also suggest a cell back up but make sure the cell back up provided can do "contact ID" reporting. If not, it just an universal one and sends a generic signal and you know nothing as to what set off your alarm.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Ive been installing/servicing alarms for over 14 yrs.

no1sirbutler

Established Member
Also be aware ALL alarms have battery back up. Actually they run off of batteries and the transformer plugged into the wall is to charge the battery.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Everything you said is correct expect about the control panel. If you alarm is properly installed it will be going off long before they reach the control panel.

Everything said here is pretty much correct just worded differently. All alarm panels are able to communicate in a way as to tell you which zone(not room) was tripped. Its done in the format it reports through. I also suggest a cell back up but make sure the cell back up provided can do "contact ID" reporting. If not, it just an universal one and sends a generic signal and you know nothing as to what set off your alarm.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Ive been installing/servicing alarms for over 14 yrs.

Huh, what did I say that was wrong? :??: I said "be sure that your control panel is well protected. It is best to hide it in a closet or some other inconspicuous spot, and be sure it is locked with the key hidden elsewhere." I said nothing about the alarm going off. Of course your alarm will go off even if the phone lines are cut. That's obvious. But having your control panel locked and not easily found is most certainly important. Because you don't want the alarm to be silenced too quickly if you're not at home. The longer it sounds the better the chance someone will hear it and at least keep an eye on your house for suspicious activity.

There's another reason why you never want to rely solely on your land phone line for reporting an intrusion/fire. You want to be absolutely assured that the central monitoring station will get any and all reports, whether you are home or not. If you're home you'll hear the alarm and hopefully an intruder will hear you and flee. If you're not at home and he cuts your phone line, false alarms are so common that most neighbors don't pay much attention to them, the central station doesn't get the the report, the police aren't called, and the thieves potentially steal from you or destroy your home. That was what I was getting at when I said to be sure your control panel is locked and not readily visible. ;-)

JJackson

Established Member
Alright, so, my g/f and I are moving into my uncles condo (he's owned it for 10 years or so, has a house and doesn't want to deal with people he doesn't know..)

It's a nice condo, just in a lousy neighborhood. My cousin, who was living there, (20 yr old female..and no common sense..) has had multiple issues.

She's been robbed a few times, I think it was her roomates when they were moving out however.

But, a few nights ago, she woke up, went down stairs, and saw some dudes arms through the window of the kitchen attempting to grab her keys to open up the door.

Now, I know a few things
1. put something in the window seal or w/e to jam it up to prevent that.
2. Lock my doors, close my blinds, leave a light on etc.
3. A nice 12 gauge may be a good deterrent, which I've got.

But, I'd like to have an alarm, because, when I sleep I more a less go into a coma.. and I don't wake up for anything really. If I'm sleeping and someones trying to break in, I don't want to wake up with them standing there...

So, with that being said, any good alarm systems you guys know of or have experience with? I would like to save on the cost some by installing it myself, if possible.

Any input is appreciated :)

Being a certified ADT technician, u can get a basic system (2 keys pads, a few door contacts, a couple glass breaks, and a couple motions) for $200 up front and around $30 a month. The cell phone thing everyone is talking about is called a GSM, and yes if youre looking for a "real" alarm, that is the way to go. If you want a GSM it is usually $10 more a month and another $80 up front depending how bad it is marked up from whatever company installs it. hope that some what helps. any other questions just ask.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
We have an ADT setup (ADT stickers on nearly every window too) and Im pretty damn happy with it. Even if the alarm is not on, and the phone line drops out, within about a minute, ADT will call our cell phones to see if everything is ok, even though we do have the GSM setup.

Customer service has been very good, and havent really had any issues like we did with the last company (Monitronics)

One other thing we have, is a 2 way box that we can both speak to adt through as well as gives them the ability to listen to whats going on when the alarm goes off.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I've always wondered how this 2-way communication works with Alarm companies.
Is it over the phone or do you have some type of intercom box?

MightEIntegra

Established Member
I've always wondered how this 2-way communication works with Alarm companies.
Is it over the phone or do you have some type of intercom box?

The one my parents had a few years ago would call the land line phone when the alarm would go off. Then I guess they check to see if you want the police or if it was a mistake. I would assume that they would call law enforcement as a default in the case of a no answer. At least this is the way I always understood that one to work. But this was up until 2007 or so I think. It seems like a waste to me unless you're away on vacation.

This is why I personally think a dog is a much better alternative [but much more expensive as mentioned before]. If you're at home and someone is invading your home, dogs can sometimes tell these things before any entry has happened. A dog bark alone could be enough to ward someone away.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is the way ours is set up. If the alarm goes off and sends a signal to the central station they will call the house first, and no one answers they'll dispatch the police and then call the next number on the contact list. You can pretty much have them change anything you'd prefer, like not dispatching the police until they call the second number if nobody answers at home. But then you could lose valuable time IF there is a real break-in. It's a balance. Many towns charge fees (ours is $75.00) once you go over 2-3 false alarms. Which is why some prefer that the police not be dispatched until the second number is tried.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Funny you mention the barking dog thing. I know someone in Florida who doesn't have a central burglar alarm setup. Instead, they have a sign out front warning people about a dog inside. There is then a sensor of some sort that starts a barking sound inside the house. It's kind of a silly system since the barking doesn't get closer to the door which would better simulate a dog inside. People even put signs on there windows and on their lawn stating they have a system protecting the house when they really don't. I guess it helps with the newbie crooks. ??

Users who are viewing this thread