Home Alarms

Panic661

Established Member
Alright, so, my g/f and I are moving into my uncles condo (he's owned it for 10 years or so, has a house and doesn't want to deal with people he doesn't know..)

It's a nice condo, just in a lousy neighborhood. My cousin, who was living there, (20 yr old female..and no common sense..) has had multiple issues.

She's been robbed a few times, I think it was her roomates when they were moving out however.

But, a few nights ago, she woke up, went down stairs, and saw some dudes arms through the window of the kitchen attempting to grab her keys to open up the door.

Now, I know a few things
1. put something in the window seal or w/e to jam it up to prevent that.
2. Lock my doors, close my blinds, leave a light on etc.
3. A nice 12 gauge may be a good deterrent, which I've got.

But, I'd like to have an alarm, because, when I sleep I more a less go into a coma.. and I don't wake up for anything really. If I'm sleeping and someones trying to break in, I don't want to wake up with them standing there...

So, with that being said, any good alarm systems you guys know of or have experience with? I would like to save on the cost some by installing it myself, if possible.

Any input is appreciated :)

Panic661

Established Member
Really, move somewhere else..
Yea because you know, I just pull money out and can move where ever I want. *removed by moderator*.

+1. I have a alarm that I pay $39 a month to be monitored and I think I used it once when I went on vacation. I now have a 80 lb boxer and a .40 cal so it has come of no use for me.

Dog would be a good idea.. the firearms aren't my issue, me being awake is the issue. But..big dog...good idea.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I have ADT, my insurance company gives a discount for having a security system. We live in a safe area so we really only use it when we are out of town. Sometimes the "ADT" signs are window stickers are enough to deter idiots from trying to break into your house.

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I have ADT, and the whole house is wired with multiple layers of defense. The system works, and ADT's response is immediate when the alarm is tripped. Happened twice in 10 years, and the police were at the door in minutes, as well as a call from ADT to check if we were OK. Buy the cell phone option with large capacity battery, so a would-be burglar doesn't defeat the alarm by cutting your phone wires. Get a two layer system that throws up a perimeter alarm on all the doors and windows that allows you to move around inside without setting it off, and an "away" option that detects sound, heat, and movement inside. Panic alarms in each room also are a good idea in case someone enters when the alarm is otherwise inhibited.

I also have fire / smoke sensors throughout the house, and water level sensors in the basement, as well as the ability to check / change alarm status by phone when I'm on vacation.

Last edited:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Yea because you know, I just pull money out and can move where ever I want. *removed by moderator*.
That's why people like you are victims - Just, being ignorant.. Show me where i said to increase your budget?
They're houses in the ghetto that don't get robbed that much. Probably some opportunistic neighbors or something along those lines.

Take your same budget and move somewhere else..
Better yet, stay there and never get a good night sleep because you're afraid of being robbed.. :nonono:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
When my dogs sound the alarm I grab my gun, make sure no lights get turned on, then wait for the lucky rat to come in the house.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Depends on your situation, a dog is a big responsibility not to be taken lightly. If you think you have the necessary time to properly take care of a dog do that, but even if you have to pay $50 a month for ADT, you don't have to train/feed/walk an alarm system.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Depends on your situation, a dog is a big responsibility not to be taken lightly. If you think you have the necessary time to properly take care of a dog do that, but even if you have to pay $50 a month for ADT, you don't have to train/feed/walk an alarm system.

This.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
My parents have ADT, and we have APX. Both systems work well. APX has some cooler equipment, but I hear ADT will be on par with them before years end. And by cooler, I mean our APX system is a touch panel, and the ADT system is still just a keypad. Not really a very important consideration, but whatever.

I've tripped my alarm a couple of times on purpose just to see how quickly they respond, and both times it was under a minute. ADT's response times were similar.

Having said all that...if I were you, I'd move.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
some of these on the doors and windows will suffice

trespassers%20will%20be%20shot.jpg

Panic661

Established Member
$50 a month wouldn't kill me.

I've lived in worse areas, and never had an issue, but, I wasn't in a relationship where my significant other lived with me. I'm not concerned about myself, more for her and her sense of security if for some reason she was home alone.

Moving at the moment is not an option, I'm going back to school, awaiting another surgery, and unemployed. Money is fairly tight, we are capable of having some nicer things (cable, internet, a little spending money) right now, but moving there gives us a larger place to live, and cheaper rent, by a few hundred dollars a month.

With ADT systems does someone come out and install, or do you do it yourself?

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
$50 a month wouldn't kill me.

I've lived in worse areas, and never had an issue, but, I wasn't in a relationship where my significant other lived with me. I'm not concerned about myself, more for her and her sense of security if for some reason she was home alone.

Moving at the moment is not an option, I'm going back to school, awaiting another surgery, and unemployed. Money is fairly tight, we are capable of having some nicer things (cable, internet, a little spending money) right now, but moving there gives us a larger place to live, and cheaper rent, by a few hundred dollars a month.

With ADT systems does someone come out and install, or do you do it yourself?

Let them install it.. . Also, work through an 'authorized reseller'.. Often times they run promotions for $99 and they'll come out and install.. It just requires a one year commitment.

The monitoring is cool because if you're gone and your alarm is triggered - you can set up certain things like (calling you, friends, family or the cops).. Also, there's an audible alarm that goes out.

The alarm i have also tells you what room was triggered.. Which gives you a chance to grab the heat and check it out.. I would highly, recommend an alarm just for piece of mind.. After the year you could also drop the monitoring but keep the piece of mind of the siren alarm..

Also, you'll get stickers and placards that you could put out front - as a deterrent if anything else.

Last, I really like sensor lights..

gl man

Panic661

Established Member
Let them install it.. . Also, work through an 'authorized reseller'.. Often times they run promotions for $99 and they'll come out and install.. It just requires a one year commitment.

The monitoring is cool because if you're gone and your alarm is triggered - you can set up certain things like (calling you, friends, family or the cops).. Also, there's an audible alarm that goes out.

The alarm i have also tells you what room was triggered.. Which gives you a chance to grab the heat and check it out.. I would highly, recommend an alarm just for piece of mind.. After the year you could also drop the monitoring but keep the piece of mind of the siren alarm..

Also, you'll get stickers and placards that you could put out front - as a deterrent if anything else.

Last, I really like sensor lights..

gl man

Ty. Yea, I bought a nice motion sensor and light...well..was more a less given to me, went to the old electrical shop i worked at to see if they had anything laying around i could buy and the shop sold me a sensor and light for like $5..

I'll be installing that tomorrow..

Users who are viewing this thread