Holden/GM Experimental XV8 Engine

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Ever seen the GM/Holden experimental engine? XV8

Any of you guys see this? Wondering what your thoughts were... The two cams in the block thing is interesting. Looks like GM was trying to push the OHV thing along as long as they could.. with technology like that I can't imagine it's a cheap engine but certainly an idea of what they were trying to do at the time. Looks like the concept engine was from 2001.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's been long rumored that the next gen of GM V8s would be OHV with 3 valves per cylinder. That engine should give them the ability to phase the intake and exhaust timing separately, which is something they aren't doing with a single cam.

Ironhand

Banned
''Thanks to two camshafts integrated centrally into the engine block and a cylinder-bank angle of only 75 degrees, the 'Global XV8' is so compact it can be installed transversely, as in the Signum A, or longitudinally, making it ideally suited for a future career as a global GM engine.

With three valves per cylinder and 4.3-litres displacement.''

I'd still pass. And Ford was doing 4 Valves by 96 so its still behind the curve for a 3 valve in 01.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Wasn't really a behind the curve thing.. more of 'what kind of improvements will they make on OHV'. Ford is using a completely different architecture so I don't expect things to be apples to apples, the LSx series in general seems to do pretty well despite only having 2vs and 1 cam, a 3v setup could see pretty impressive gains. Some of the tech they were testing back then is in current vehicles now... just reminds me of when they were developing the LS1 back in 1992 and it didn't appear until 1997.. to think of how long this technology gets played with before we see results is neat.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
interesting to see how much weight it saves to place the cams in the block, heads on a 4-valve or heavy suckers, even for aluminum.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yep.. (Reminds me I need to find 'All Corvettes are Red' and the 'The Millennium Motor') been awhile since I read through that stuff. Just like 'Iron Fist, Lead Foot'... just full of amazing information.

Though to be fair if you tested an LS1 vs a Coyote today... lol amazing how far OHC has come.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Doing "cams" on one of those must be a bitch.

It doesn't look much worse than how we do it now. I used 50 cent dowel rods in the front to hold the lifters up on my ls1 (in this case you just need 2 more rods) and then slid the cam out the front. :shrug:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
A 75 degree angle ona v8? No wonder it needs two balancers. Dumb.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Good info. :) I figured I would post it here (seems like an unusual choice for a GM discussion I know) but on SVT I get honest information and limited nut hugging. :)

Users who are viewing this thread