Historic / Collectable Race Car questions

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
How about these future Fords:

1. Paul Brown's late 90's blue/ white World Challenge GT Mustang.
2. Paul Brown's 2012 Boss 302 WC Championship car.
3. Saleen / Tim Allan's RRR World Challenge cars.
4. Rehagan Racing's GA Championship 302S.
5. Brandon Davis' ACS World Challenge Mustangs. BASS ASS!
6. ?

First,
Those cars must have some restoration done. JMO, I wouldn't buy an old worn out race car. I can't do body work or paint, and I am not known for my wrenching skills (although I have changed engines in my cars that someone else built a dozen times).

My main objective on buying something would be getting to a reasonable look and mechanical condition that I am then not upside down in today's market. I will not put an extra $10K in it while hoping that it is worth $20K more in a few years.

The values are unknown to me. I know where one Saleen General Tire (of two) Championship cars are in good exterior condition (not fired up in over 10 years).

Be careful. Ford has a long history of many good race cars. The factory stock numbers-matching cars seem to be a better bet to me.

flattrack53,
I keep telling Bruce that his cars would be worth more in he would send one down to me to race in the southeast one year. I'm just trying to help him out. :-D

brianz426

Established Member
One day I feel like I am going to say... "I remember when I got offered a 95r for 17k and I said that was to much money"... As the hammer slams for a 150k

This, this and this x 1000.

My Dad is haunted by the cars that slipped away.

Maybe the biggest was Bob Hinson's #42 911. It won the 24 hrs of Daytona and Sebring. Dad was part of the crew and watched it go to Panama after it's life was over in the US. It was old, tired and cheap at the time.

Now the "clone" of that car races on the west coast is valued around $500,000. The real chassis is still in a field in Panama with it's VIN tags cut out. The real BHR 911 restored would be north of 1M.

This era is no different.

^Both of these without a doubt. I have my own and been witness to many stories of cars that got away and transactions to support the above. The baby boomers are a huge group that is driving the current market trends. As they get out of the hobby the next generation will be a smaller group of enthusiasts but they also have a smaller selection of important and desirable cars to choose from. Sadly as time goes on automobiles are becoming less of a part of our culture as compared to the 50's, 60's and 70's. But I predict the vales will still be there, just a smaller group of people competing to own a smaller group of cars.

flattrack53

Established Member
I don't know exactly what you are looking for.. But if I had the money.. I would contact Tony Conover and buy Doug Richmond's GT350. I would put this car up against any other GT350 in the country as it to be the fastest. He got clocked at a 179mph down the big straightaway at VIR. I think they are asking a 130k.

JohnW#88

Established Member
I don't know exactly what you are looking for..

Flattrack, was this directed towards me? If so, I'm grateful and appreciate everyone’s perspective. Thank you.

I *think* I know what I'm looking for. ;-) I've been working on a few projects and things are coming together. I really needed to understand the pricing dynamics better and many of the posts above have confirmed my beliefs.

Tom's Zippo R post was helpful and helped with my calculations.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I would contact Tony Conover and buy Doug Richmond's GT350. I would put this car up against any other GT350 in the country as it to be the fastest.
I raced against Doug's car until he sold it about 3-4 years ago to buy an old Trans-Am car.

It was fast, and Doug was a gear-head. He would bring 10 rear-end gears, different shocks, and what else was hiding in his trailer. He'd change stuff after ever session. He took it seriously. $130K? Too much.

Tom Yeager came over to me several years ago and asked me if I would like pictures of his old car (it won the second SCCA T/A race in 1966--the first T/A win for a Mustang). I did. ;-) I was driving one similar to his old car. His car was restored then disappeared.

Gary serviced and drove the old Bud Moore Mustang from 1970 (1970 = yellow; 1969 = red/blue). It was a ~$400K car.
DavidBoss.gif

More of my opinion: :-D
1) The Trans Am years will never be replicated. A SCCA pony car race at Road Atlanta would out draw Nascar at the Atl Speedway by 2 to 1.
2) They had full factory backing and famous drivers (Foyt, Follmer, Parnelli, Posey, Gurney, Titus, Donohue....).

The only other car with a great history is the Roush-built Tommy Kendall car. He won four SCCA Championships in the 1990's (when it was still on TV), and won 13 races in a row in 1997. It was bad-fast.

I don't look back on what may have been. It's a futile exercise. I only look forward on future opportunities.

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
Flattrack, was this directed towards me? If so, I'm grateful and appreciate everyone’s perspective. Thank you.

I *think* I know what I'm looking for. ;-) I've been working on a few projects and things are coming together. I really needed to understand the pricing dynamics better and many of the posts above have confirmed my beliefs.

Tom's Zippo R post was helpful and helped with my calculations.

I didn't mean that to be offensive in any way... I know you had another thread posted about looking for another R set up for the track. This thread is about value and how you determine what the car is worth. I just wasn't sure if you were looking for an older car now or still a documented R.

So I figured I would throw Richmond's car out on the table for you ;-)

flattrack53

Established Member
I raced against Doug's car until he sold it about 3-4 years ago to buy an old Trans-Am car.

It was fast, and Doug was a gear-head. He would bring 10 rear-end gears, different shocks, and what else was hiding in his trailer. He'd change stuff after ever session. He took it seriously. $130K? Too much.

My dad started racing his r-model back in 1993. He became rookie of the year in 93; In 94 and 95, he was SVRA champion. Once Vogt and Richmond got behind the wheel of their cars, my dad realized to go as fast as those guys it was going to be one costly weekend. My dad stopped racing the r-model in 1998 and started racing 66 shelby which was a mid pack car. He realized he could have just as much fun and save some cash.. The 1999 and 2000 seasons were my favorite because I watched Vogt and Richmond go head to head every racing weekend. I have never seen so much dirt/dust and tire smoke from any other drivers before. I couldn't even imagine what they spent in tires/brakes/fuel/engines/rears/transmissions/etc.

Richmond sold that car to a doctor who lives about 20 minutes from me. I would imagine the guy that bought the car is selling it because he got scared. That isn't a car for a first time driver. That car is begging for a good driver :)

Hint.. Hint... John :beer:

JohnW#88

Established Member
I didn't mean that to be offensive in any way... I know you had another thread posted about looking for another R set up for the track. This thread is about value and how you determine what the car is worth. I just wasn't sure if you were looking for an older car now or still a documented R.

So I figured I would throw Richmond's car out on the table for you ;-)

No, no... your comment wasn't offensive in any way and I certainly didn't take it that way. I just wanted to answer the question if it was directed towards me. :beer:

I was looking for an R track toy, and still may buy one, but another couple toys popped up with huge possibilities. I'm looking to finish the deal before I make it public. Very excited.

Stay tuned! ;-)

JohnW#88

Established Member
1) The Trans Am years will never be replicated. A SCCA pony car race at Road Atlanta would out draw Nascar at the Atl Speedway by 2 to 1.
2) They had full factory backing and famous drivers (Foyt, Follmer, Parnelli, Posey, Gurney, Titus, Donohue....).

Agreed.

But, that era was distant history when my generation "took the track". Those cars are certainly cool, but Gen Xers don't have a connection with that series that some of the older guys do. :p

I think it was said above somewhere that each generation has "iconic cars" and I want to be ahead of the curve. My radar is locked in on a couple of those cars right now.

My Dad said to trust my gut because he pasted on a number of Boss 429's as they sat on the lot for $3999.00 during the gas crunch. His buddy kept talking him out of one.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
My dad started racing his r-model back in 1993. He became rookie of the year in 93; In 94 and 95, he was SVRA champion.
That is very exceptional. Congrats to your Dad. It's hard to do it one year; two is great.

My rookie year was late 1990-1991. I wish I had pictures, but it was before digital. I was grooving on The Doors back then. ;-)
Door.gif

You should scan some pictures.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
How about these future Fords:

1. Paul Brown's late 90's blue/ white World Challenge GT Mustang.
2. Paul Brown's 2012 Boss 302 WC Championship car.
3. Saleen / Tim Allan's RRR World Challenge cars.
4. Rehagan Racing's GA Championship 302S.
5. Brandon Davis' ACS World Challenge Mustangs. BASS ASS!
6. ?

Where are these cars and what would their future values look like?

Feel free to add to the list...

Some feedback on the list above:

1&2 - I would be EXTREMELY surprised if these came up for sale anytime within the next 20-30 years as they are presently in the hands of wifes family who have no interest or need to sell them.
3 - It was my understanding that most of these were sold in Europe to collectors. I think one of these would be a pretty cool car based on my conversations with those that worked on them.
4 - This car doesn't appear to be very valuable for a couple reasons. first off it is a clone car and not a factory built race car. secondly, it has/was for sale for over 2 years and last time I saw it for sale it was around $30k. I would have thought that if it was perceived to be of collector value that someone would have bought it by now.
5 - While a very cool car from an Engineering standpoint it doesn't seem that this car is very well known which usually results in it not being sought after which usually means the $$$ isn't very high. It is also something of a frankenstang and doesn't really resemble a production anything.

I'd be interested to see where the prices of the Boss 302S and Boss 302R's ends up. Very fun to drive cars that have done quite well in their classes and have the attachment to a street car carrying the same name.

SL 1993 R

Established Member

3 - It was my understanding that most of these were sold in Europe to collectors. I think one of these would be a pretty cool car based on my conversations with those that worked on them.

QUOTE]

My buddy owns the Saleen Mustang Championship car driven by Terry Borcheller (1998?) in the SCCA T-1 class. That car is here in CA. It is still in the Saleen Allen RRR Livery, #55 if I recall correctly.

JohnW#88

Established Member

QUOTE]

My buddy owns the Saleen Mustang Championship car driven by Terry Borcheller (1998?) in the SCCA T-1 class. That car is here in CA. It is still in the Saleen Allen RRR Livery, #55 if I recall correctly.

That (IMO) is a great car I'd consider important to us Ford guys.

How does/ did your freind assign a value? I would assume he has somesort of Grundy/ Collectors insurance. I'm going to faced with assigning a value to something soon that has no established reference points.

JohnW#88

Established Member
Guys,

Does this theory make sense?

Each generation values it's "own" cars, teams and drivers differently than the last. The fans (possible future buyers) connection with their generation's iconic cars will drive future demand and/ or price.

If that ain't part of the puzzle, I'm not sure what is.

John- who's still attempting to grasp the big picture.

Last edited:

JohnW#88

Established Member
hello gents!

I'm back from Panama and my newest project is being loaded on a boat in a couple weeks!

I found PD Cunningham's 2002 WC TC Championship winning RTR Acura ITR. I know it's not a Ford, but these cars made my heart race back in the day. Should be a wonderful project!

If you followed WC back then, the RTR ITRs dominated TC from 1997-2002.

She'll be back in the states (hopefully) around Christmas after living in Panama since 04. She's a complete mess and needs a lot of love.

My plan is a concurs quality restoration over the next few years.

Very excited!

JohnW#88

Established Member
I'll get a few photos posted soon.

The car was raced in Panama/ Central America from 2005-2011. She's had two owners and they reportedly had success with it including 3 regional championships. I've asked for all their documentation and they agreed.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Pretty cool car John! Have you contacted PD yet and if so what did he think of his car coming back?

What are your plans with the car? I've seen a couple of the old Real Time cars running around in the SCCA circuit.

Most important thing is that YOU like it! Restore it, drive it, and have fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread