High Speed Stability

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Last week my wife was behind me after we'd met for dinner, and I gave it the beans. She said I left marks on the road through the whole 2-3 pull. But I remember when I let off the throttle to coast, it still seems the rear wants to wander. Maybe my tires are too wide for my wheels? theyre measured at 12.5" per the spec sheet and my wheels are 10" wide.
change the tires and report back, you're ice skating and you don't even know it

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
But it skates even when I come off the throttle
it's possible something is broken but I would personally change the tires first before I started digging into the suspension provided nothing is in fact broken. I don't know your driving habits but 740hp is enough to roast the best drag radials at any speed so you gotta keep that in mind also.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
it's possible something is broken but I would personally change the tires first before I started digging into the suspension provided nothing is in fact broken. I don't know your driving habits but 740hp is enough to roast the best drag radials at any speed so you gotta keep that in mind also.
Tires are definitely on the list - thinking of going towards an R888 but really enjoy the TQ's. I don't hammer it in first, but get silly in 2nd through top of third. I'd like to be able to take it to the top of fourth and the car be stable. That's the ultimate goal. But it just doesn't feel stable enough to do that yet.

I have been under the car recently and nothing's broken / worn. All bushings have been inspected or replaced recently.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Tires are definitely on the list - thinking of going towards an R888 but really enjoy the TQ's. I don't hammer it in first, but get silly in 2nd through top of third. I'd like to be able to take it to the top of fourth and the car be stable. That's the ultimate goal. But it just doesn't feel stable enough to do that yet.

I have been under the car recently and nothing's broken / worn. All bushings have been inspected or replaced recently.
I've had a bad set of tires make a vehicle feel super sloppy before

01yellercobra

Established Member
It could just be righting itself when you come off the throttle.

It sounds like the TQ is more up your alley. I had the R888R's before these and after spinning at 80mph I switched to the drag radial. Though they're not the end all be all answer. I've looked through logs and found wheel spin when I thought I was good. I think the only way to completely hook up is to go with a drag type suspension and some kind of slick.

FWIW, I run mine at 26-28psi. If I ever hit the strip again I'll try 20psi. But the higher range makes me feel better on the interchanges.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
It could just be righting itself when you come off the throttle.

It sounds like the TQ is more up your alley. I had the R888R's before these and after spinning at 80mph I switched to the drag radial. Though they're not the end all be all answer. I've looked through logs and found wheel spin when I thought I was good. I think the only way to completely hook up is to go with a drag type suspension and some kind of slick.

FWIW, I run mine at 26-28psi. If I ever hit the strip again I'll try 20psi. But the higher range makes me feel better on the interchanges.
I think that could be some of it, too. Perhaps going to solid bushings all around would help some of it not get so out-of-whack?

Roush6018

Established Member
the 94-98 axles had quad shocks bolted to the rear axle. your car should feel stable at about 100 and if it doesn't then something is broken.

i think it might be the axle shaft has too much free-play where the c-clip holds it inside the diff. you may need some new axles and c-clips and a new diff to solve this problem. there should be a pass/fail measurement at the hub flange for this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread