High Speed fan help!!!

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Ok, my car has had some overheating issues. I always catch it just before it gets bad.

Anyways, I was trying to see if my high-speed fan turns on or not. Today, when I started the car and the engine was completely cold (turned on for the first time today), I turned the AC on to see if the fan would turn on. It took about 1 minute and did turn on. But then after 15 seconds or so, it would turn off. And then 1 minute after it would do the same, and keep cycling like that.

Is it normal to do that when the engine is cold? or should it be on no matter what the whole time the AC is on? Any other way I could test it?

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
It shouldn't just turn on because your A/C is on. Once your car reaches normal operating temperature it should turn on and off every couple of minutes. What kind of fan is it?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
that's not normal, you might have relay issues, like mentioned the fan should engage when the desired operating temp is reached for low and high speed!

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
By the way my car had the same issue about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately for me, the fan stopped working all together. Fan blades cracked, blown fuse. Replaced it with a 14 inch Mishimoto fan from American Muscle and new fuse and works great!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
as soon as you turn your a/c on your fan will turn on with it and run until you turn the a/c off now your low speed fan will turn on when it reaches the desired set range and shut off when it reaches the shut off temp(no a/c on) But i believe the high speed fan runs when the a/c is on.

your high pressure a/c cut off switch may be bad mine crapped out on me and my high speed fan would run even when the engine was cool and no a/c on. you might have to replace this switch this switch has to do with the a/c and fan

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
ok, update. I found that I had a cracked radiator, replaced that.

Also, the intercooler pump would only turn on when it wanted to. Replaced that too.

And I found that the electric fan inductor was broken (part # 1R3Z-8L603-AA) which did not allow the low speed fan to turn on. Ordered that, will be in tomorrow.

For now, my high speed fan still does the turn on for 15 seconds / off for 1 minute thing when I have the AC on.

Question: Does the high speed fan share part of the wiring with the low speed fan, thus, when the high speed fan is on, the relay reads too many amps through only one wire (rather than two) and then shuts it off? this is just a guess, seeing if you guys might have the answer. If not, where is the relay for the high speed fan? And, again, any suggestions would be helpful!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
And I found that the electric fan inductor was broken (part # 1R3Z-8L603-AA) which did not allow the low speed fan to turn on.
That's a pretty common issue.
For now, my high speed fan still does the turn on for 15 seconds / off for 1 minute thing when I have the AC on.
It's possible that with your low speed currently disabled you're only seeing the hi speed kick on when the compressor cycles on... just a theory though, but yes with the A/C on it should constantly run the low speed.

As far as circuits the fan low and hi would have to be separately controlled and relayed but I do not know where the relays are located, sorry. I'm sure with your rad and IC pump fixed and the low speed resistor replaced you should be in good shape though.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
That's a pretty common issue.It's possible that with your low speed currently disabled you're only seeing the hi speed kick on when the compressor cycles on... just a theory though, but yes with the A/C on it should constantly run the low speed.

As far as circuits the fan low and hi would have to be separately controlled and relayed but I do not know where the relays are located, sorry. I'm sure with your rad and IC pump fixed and the low speed resistor replaced you should be in good shape though.

Thanks for the reply!

Update: I got the part today and threw it back in there. When I fired the engine up (completely cold) and threw the AC on, the fan stays ON the whole time. Just an update in case somebody does a search on this.

Users who are viewing this thread