Hey Wiz

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
I've had 11+ years of following 5.0 racing and modding and the BFG DR's are the best. Nittos are great too but the best is BFG. Theres a pic in all MM&FF / 5.0 mags if you're interested.

BLK_03 said:
picture284is6jn.jpg

This is BLK_03's setup... running BFG DR 315/30/18... love this shot:rockon:

Definitely going this route for the summer sun :coolman:

Christian

Last edited:

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
Wiz,

From what I understand, James is pretty good with tuning SCT - he's well known (on the boards) with using the Predator, but then again the Predator unit is more popular. As for Hermann, YES, I am very happy with Hermann and the quality of service. I know when I get my afr straightened out I'll get a more agressive tune to go with my setup. Here's a link I had from when I was researching about him:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/22299/

He's got the dubious distinction of being in the first 5.0 publication:rockon: What got me was that he's very concerned about power gains, but equally attentive to street drivability.

I'm sure that the guys at Mod-Depot are well versed, but remember that there are others out there!

The 'cable' is the PC cable ($50 bucks if bought separate) you'll need it when you change tunes - you'll get 3 customs (4 if you count the stock retention). I would get the module just for the cable since I don't have one and will need one (Hermann was out of stock at the time). I'll have to call him and find out how much a new custom will be... I can check how much a new tune for those who have their own module is, if you like.

What's Mod Depot charging you for the tunes? How many are you thinking of getting?

Christian

wizbangdoodle said:
I'm getting the unit and a tune at the same time. I didn't realize that James@RWTD did SCT. I thought he was just Predator. Is he well versed with SCT?
Christian, I know you used Herman and are very happy with his service. What is his background? Over at Mod. Depot I guess they have a guy that was with Ford and then Roush. He is the SCT master, from what I'm told (by Ken @ Mod. Depot). They have their unit on sale for $375 right now and it includes some cable that usually doesn't come with it. This is all new to me so I am trying to figure out the best way to go.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Down the Road we will be Getting the Xcalibrator. When u bye the package (375$) Does it already have a tune? And Where exactly does it plug into the car at to load the tune?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I'm still using the Predator w/ James tune but w/ an SCT meter that James has written a tune for.
If I were in the market again I'd get the SCT. Dont get me wrong. James is great. Its' just that the SCT seems to have a bit more fine tuning to it. Some have switched from Pred to SCT and never looked back. Go w/SCT!

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
mean saleen said:
Down the Road we will be Getting the Xcalibrator. When u bye the package (375$) Does it already have a tune? And Where exactly does it plug into the car at to load the tune?

Cool! The Modular Depot package comes with one custom tune and they're giving the pc cable for free right now. The Xcalibrator can hold 3 custom tunes and will retain the stock - the SCT chip will hold 4 customs and you can get the switch that goes in the coin holder (can't remember if Hermann said that it can retain stock also, but I would assume it could).

There's a receiver under the dash/slight right to plug the thing in (Xcalibrator).

Christian

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Thanx alot Christian!

P.S. Went for a spin in the Saleen not to long ago to test out the JLT CAI and wow There is definatley more supercharger whine. I love it!

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Straight from the horses mouth....

From James...

And, yes, I do have the SCT Advantage software, however I will not be supporting them by buying any of their products anymore, but I will keep the tuning software since I paid for it. And, DiabloSport's ChipMaster Revolution is a much better software package all in all, and the GUI of the software is lightyears ahead of SCT's. The end-user version of DiabloSport's CMR will be out most likely late next month. I will sell it and support it fully.

Rick

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
Rick,

Did he specify any weaknesses in the tuning capability of SCT or was it a 'customer service' issue that has led him away from them?

Christian

RickSvt said:
Straight from the horses mouth....

From James...

And, yes, I do have the SCT Advantage software, however I will not be supporting them by buying any of their products anymore, but I will keep the tuning software since I paid for it. And, DiabloSport's ChipMaster Revolution is a much better software package all in all, and the GUI of the software is lightyears ahead of SCT's. The end-user version of DiabloSport's CMR will be out most likely late next month. I will sell it and support it fully.

Rick

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
thats all the info he sent me about it. It seems like when diablo releases their end user program, that will help a little there

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
What I think is happening is both companies are leapfrogging each other. This year it may be that SCT has the edge. Next year Predator may develop something better. Happens all the time. Since James mentioned that Diablosport is releasing a new software package soon, it sounds like Predator may jump ahead. If it is just GUI improvements, of which I'll never see, then there is no reason to switch. If I were buying the full software package the GUI would become very important. But, who wants to spend their every waking hour learning new software just so you can throw a tune into your car 2 or 3 times a year (2 or 3 times a week for you, Rick). I think I'll go with SCT and use Mod Depot for now. I really liked the customer service I got when I called. I just wish they were on the left coast, the time difference is killing me. Tried to order it today but was too late.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Mean, did you notice any difference in power or just like the way it sounds and looks? Do you think it pulls harder now with just the JLT added? What is your "seat of the pants" evaluation?

Joe5.0

Established Member
Better throttle response. And yes there is more power that u can feel mostly in higher Rpm's., but keep in mind our gains are are advertised around 15-18RWHP yours is 25+:)
Very Happy!
Ask Mystic the Same Question.

Users who are viewing this thread