Help!

Denise

Established Member
Looking @ a new coupe, but motor is tacking. I know it can be a number of things. MY boyfriend knows previous owner and says car was running good, but was poorly put together. Dealership is asking 22k for the car. Has KB 2.6 or a 2.8 (sorry dont remember) 60lb injectos 47k miles. However the motor is tacking on the passenger side. I know there can be a number of things wrong with the car and its a large risk to take seeing the car is a ticking bomb at this point.
3754425709.236630080.IM1.23.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I attached a picture of the motor. Cars clean according to car fax. Do you think a car with a tacking motor is worth it. I need some input, I want to but it because it seems liek a good deal. But I could be completly wrong....

SlowSVT

Established Member
+1

Tell the dealer you will need to replace both heads (the other side can't be far behind) and negotiate the price based on that (the driver side usually goes first). The motor does look clean and probably has expensive mods on it. Talk to the previous owner since he no longer has incentive to deceive you (unless the dealer is selling it on consignment. Make sure you find this out before talking to the previous owner).

You may need to do a few thing but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. If you don't have the stomach for having/doing work on a modded Terminator get one with less mods.

Denise

Established Member
+1

Tell the dealer you will need to replace both heads (the other side can't be far behind) and negotiate the price based on that (the driver side usually goes first). The motor does look clean and probably has expensive mods on it. Talk to the previous owner since he no longer has incentive to deceive you (unless the dealer is selling it on consignment. Make sure you find this out before talking to the previous owner).

You may need to do a few thing but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. If you don't have the stomach for having/doing work on a modded Terminator get one with less mods.

I told him that it would cost around 4,000 to have this car running right. The guy doesnt want to really neg. any more because it was listed at 26,000. The owner told the dealer he sold it because it got stolen from him and recovered seven times and he got tired of having to chain it up at night. However, I think he thought he hurt the motor and turned in the car. I know that it can really range in whats wrong with the car, but either way the motors going to have to come out and be taken apart and thats going to cost 3,000. I like the car because its hooked up, and I dont mind spending 4k getting a built block or an aluminum one, because I know it will support the modifications that car has. I can buy a stock car for a few thousand more but theres still a chance it will blow as soon as I put an aftermarket supercharger on it. I know the air fuel ratio is not right. The dealership is very set in not letting me drive the car out of the dealership unless I have already signed the papers and wont be coming back, which bothers me. I really dont want to pass it up because it seems like all I have to do is build the block and not have to worry about any more upgrades. Its got a built rear end some after market things on the tranny some type of discs that shatter when you switch gears? I dont know.... Im torn between picking it up or letting it go.

GodStang

Established Member
If and that is a big if you do all the work yourself you can maybe walk away for $5K to fix it. $22K is very very high for a damaged car. If the piston came apart it could of damaged the head, the block and so on. I have been through the exact same thing you are doing and its not worth it. Also you can buy a stock car for a few thousand less and build it right and be at less then you have invested in this. The disc you are talking about is most likely a DFX clutch or something similar.

I wish you luck but I would stay far away unless you have 6 months and a deep wallet. This is coming from personal experience.

Denise

Established Member
well my orange one blew up and i had to pay ford 500 to just take in my car because I had an exhaust. It sat there a month and they gave me hell saying the computer had a chip and dadada. The cars not going to be a daily driver and I wish I could find some cheaper in my area, but I dont know if Im looking in the wrong places or what.

Denise

Established Member
I did check you site and I dont know if there just arent any for sale in fl or what... I caleld a ford dealer since they got one in but their replcing the clutch and said they want 28k for a bone stock car...

mth180

Established Member
28k For a bone stock car could be a good deal depending on the miles. We bought our 04 mystic 'vert in 2004 for over MSRP. It's worth looking into the stock one as long as the miles are low. :rockon:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The dealer not allowing you to dive the car is a big red flag!!!! Any internal damage the car has sustained is probably twice as bad as you think it is. Plus if the car was stolen several times It's likely it has seen some major hurt'N.

Run Denise run! This car is not for you. I would post on here and modular Ford and flag the dealer who is trying to offload this car.

You seem pretty knowledgeable about cars. Your BF must be a lucky guy. My GF is too busy painting her nails and can't be bothered.

Be patient. A better car will pop up. STAY AWAY FROM A DEALER. Buy from someone on these sites who actually cares about his pride and joy going to a good home.

Keep us posted on your progress :beer:

GodStang

Established Member
The dealer not allowing you to dive the car is a big red flag!!!! Any internal damage the car has sustained is probably twice as bad as you think it is. Plus if the car was stolen several times It's likely it has seen some major hurt'N.

Run Denise run! This car is not for you. I would post on here and modular Ford and flag the dealer who is trying to offload this car.

You seem pretty knowledgeable about cars. Your BF must be a lucky guy. My GF is too busy painting her nails and can't be bothered.

Be patient. A better car will pop up. STAY AWAY FROM A DEALER. Buy from someone on these sites who actually cares about his pride and joy going to a good home.

So very true. Dealers will rip you so bad on so many levels. Why does it have to be in Florida? Pay a few hundred and have a better car at a better price shipped to you. If you only shop in a small area you will be very limited to what you can buy.

Denise

Established Member

They did let me test drive the car, dont get me wrong, they wont let me take it about 45miles away since (I live in broward and the car is in dade) That really bothers me. I know new cars are always fun and I think I'm just too excited about the car, and thats the only reason I want it. My mom made me take my orange one to a shop and the guy said it will be around 5k just to get the exterior looking right again (new paint all around, straighten out the front, and align fenders, hood ect). I got slammed on the passenger fender @ 4k miles and twisted my frame :( The only thing is I really would prefer not to purchase out of state because I like to go there and see the car and hear it and take it for a little spin, just to make sure its running decently. If I would have bought this car sight unseen I wouldnt have known about the tacking noise since they had failed to mention it in their ad. I really dont mind high miles, I guess Im just expecting to find a car hooked up for the same price minus the blown motor....

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is just definitely not a 2.6 or 2.8 because the front is wrong. :)

GodStang

Established Member
It is just definitely not a 2.6 or 2.8 because the front is wrong. :)

Its identical to my 2.8L. Its not a 2.2 or 2.4. The 2.2 does not have the squared neck down it ramps down and the snout is too long to be a 2.4. It could be the 2.6 or the 2.8 because we can not see the spacer on it to tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread