Help with Traction at 600rwhp

ManNmachine

John 3:16
Established Member
I got stock rear with 275/35/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season and stock gears, my 1st and 2nd gears are useless on the street. I need some suggestions on BEST route to spend $2000 to get some traction, re-gears vs wheels.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Why would you mess with the gears? Its not going to help with traction unless you go like super crazy high lol. I suggest so 10.5 rear wheels and some STICKY drag radials, ET Streets or Toyo R888's

rtvickers

Established Member
My suggestion would be a full IRS kit and some soft wall tires. Ive been looking at the one from Full Tilt. Im sure he will jump on here and show it to you. I think its around $6-$700. I think Im going to get one this winter for my 04 Cobra.

Or do a SRA swap.

Good luck

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I got stock rear with 275/35/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season and stock gears, my 1st and 2nd gears are useless on the street. I need some suggestions on BEST route to spend $2000 to get some traction, re-gears vs wheels.

F1s suck for traction. Save your $$ and get a good set of sticky tires.
The difference will be night and day.

Or do a SRA swap.

Your kidding right?
How does going solid improve your traction??

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have very similar issues....solution, Ordered 315/3/17 NTO5Rs for my 10.5 Inch Reps, as the NT555Rs didn't help much at all...However, these NT05R tires are just sitting on my shelf to put on in the summer coming up. I feel even with the NT05Rs I might have traction issues and feel the cold weather might ruin them...hmmm
Subcribing...as the car isn't fun to drive with my Nitto NT555 non DRs...

ManNmachine

John 3:16
Established Member
I am going to go with SRA swap and bigger tires out back. I am going to get rid of my IRS since I broke it at the track, luckily I got it taken care of under warranty. I need to find a reputable manufacture for rims because I don’t want to spend my money on garbage.
I got 18x9 fr500s on rear right now. I did get some chrome saleen wheels from American Muscle but two of them were wobbling, so I took them off. Since I got a set of fr500s I might as well look for two 18x10s fr500s for the rear, I don't think anyone makes 10.5 fr500s. So who is reputable manufacturer for rims?

greengt88

Established Member
Check ROTA Wheels yes they have alot of import wheels, but they should have something to fit realatively cheap. they are good quality, far better than the junk american muscle sells. AFS is another decent replica company, should actually be able to use fact. center caps in those. Konig makes nice wheels also. problem is finding 10.5's. u could always have 9's widened. about $200 per wheel + shipping for that though. I'm undecided on wheels as well. Rep's are mostly crap, and no one makes Black wheels i like in 10.5's so i'm either going to buy 2 more factory wheels and have them widened and powdercoated black, or i'm going to get a set of Konig Villains and have them widened and coated....i was looking for something lightweight also...hope that helps u somehow.

Ironhand

Banned
If you go SRA and you are making 600rwhp do yourself a favor and put atleast upper control arms in it. I ripped the bushings out of the stock uppers at 500 and no track passes on 555Rs. The lowers can stay but you need to replace the uppers as soon as you can. Make sure that when you put the uppers in the car that you clamp the torque boxes down or the arms will move around inside the torque boxes. Had to learn this the hard way. :)

rtvickers

Established Member
Your kidding right?
How does going solid improve your traction??[/QUOTE]

I was thinking along the lines of not breaking half shafts so easily. He could run any tire with a SRA. It sucks having to worry about wheel hop and breaking shafts.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I am going to go with SRA swap and bigger tires out back. I am going to get rid of my IRS since I broke it at the track, luckily I got it taken care of under warranty. I need to find a reputable manufacture for rims because I don’t want to spend my money on garbage.
I got 18x9 fr500s on rear right now. I did get some chrome saleen wheels from American Muscle but two of them were wobbling, so I took them off. Since I got a set of fr500s I might as well look for two 18x10s fr500s for the rear, I don't think anyone makes 10.5 fr500s. So who is reputable manufacturer for rims?

Mustang Deep Dish Chrome FR500 Wheels at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

EDIT: Shit just saw you said you wanted a 10.5, yea your not gonna find a set of 10.5x18's FR500s

mach1033

Established Member
Get the complete full tilt boogie kit along with Mickey Thompson's or NT05R's DR's and you will be fine for the street. Thats what works for me and my friends.

Last edited:

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
NT01s are great on the street.. Just have to be careful in the rain.. Been daily driving on mine for a year and a half with no complaints... I love the way they stick without the soft sidewall around turns.. I'm well over 600hp as well.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
NT01s are great on the street.. Just have to be careful in the rain.. Been daily driving on mine for a year and a half with no complaints... I love the way they stick without the soft sidewall around turns.. I'm well over 600hp as well.

So are you saying the NT01s have a soft sidewall?
A great handling tire has stiff side walls does it not?

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
If you go SRA and you are making 600rwhp do yourself a favor and put atleast upper control arms in it. I ripped the bushings out of the stock uppers at 500 and no track passes on 555Rs. The lowers can stay but you need to replace the uppers as soon as you can. Make sure that when you put the uppers in the car that you clamp the torque boxes down or the arms will move around inside the torque boxes. Had to learn this the hard way. :)

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! No way in hell should the stock lowers stay. Out of everything going into a solid rear, the lower control arms help out with straight line traction the most!!!

Ironhand

Banned
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! No way in hell should the stock lowers stay. Out of everything going into a solid rear, the lower control arms help out with straight line traction the most!!!

My stock lowers lasted 2 years and 8 months without issues... But normally when someone replaces the uppers they do the lowers as well... :shrug:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I would never change the uppers and leave the lowers, I did the SRA right before I deployed, first mod I purcharsed here from lethal is lowers, then uppers, then the rest that follows!

bb97gt

Established Member
Just but 315/30/18 ET streets on my BBS's, my car was dyno'd about a month ago, made 612/589, hooks hard in second gear even in cold weather. Night and day different from the Kumho's i had before, which wouldn't even hook that hard in third gear. The bushing kit is always a wise choice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread