help with datalog reading

mr-proper

Established Member
code p0174-(bank 2 is lean) showed up yesterday
2004 mach 1
here is datalog at idle and some driving

code showed up at low rpm driving 15-20mph, car still drives fine.
car has cams,cai,borla, and catted midpipe and custom tune.
drove the car 300miles since cam install and yesterday the code showed up.
i will call my tuner on monday to find out more.
but for now i would like to know what is going on in these data logs.
this is my 1st time doing it so,no understanding whats going on there, i hope you guys can tell me whats going on?!

here is the file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qmobmrkmp7cl0r/datalog1.csv

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
hate to tell you, but your log is pretty much worthless as far as be able to see anything.
choose these PID's then datalog again please:
maf ad counts
rpm
load
stft bank 1
stft bank 2
tps absolute
spark
coolant temp
injector pressure drop
fuel pump duty cycle

and if you have a wideband- make sure to add that as well please.

mr-proper

Established Member
hate to tell you, but your log is pretty much worthless as far as be able to see anything.
choose these PID's then datalog again please:
maf ad counts
rpm
load
stft bank 1
stft bank 2
tps absolute
spark
coolant temp
injector pressure drop
fuel pump duty cycle

and if you have a wideband- make sure to add that as well please.

Thanks for the hepl!! I will do it tomorrow and should I do it with the engine warm again and just at idle this time?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the car will remain in OL until you reach the temp your tuner has specified for it to go into closed loop- it's usually around 160 most make the switch. 180-200 is the proper operating range- so depending on the where and when your issue is will determne how you want to datalog.

stang910

Established Member
Your getting the code cause your long term fuel is way off on bank 2. Bank 1 isn't the best either, but thats still within the computers ability to correct the fueling. To fix your problem you need to find out why your bank 2 02 sensor is reading 14% leaner then bank 1. I would suspect a bad or aftermarket 02 sensor. Just a heads up if you get new 02 sensors get OEM.

mr-proper

Established Member
Your getting the code cause your long term fuel is way off on bank 2. Bank 1 isn't the best either, but thats still within the computers ability to correct the fueling. To fix your problem you need to find out why your bank 2 02 sensor is reading 14% leaner then bank 1. I would suspect a bad or aftermarket 02 sensor. Just a heads up if you get new 02 sensors get OEM.

the new datalog is, after i tighten down the the driver side midpipe to headers manifold today. how can i tell, if it helped or not?i reset the code and it hasn't come on YET..lol (drove about 30miles)
,and i think the passenger side has a small leak too,but i cant get to it,
may have to bring it to muffler shop.
does the bank 2 short trim now look closer to the bank 1 or is still way off?? sorry i just dont understand the datalog.
02 sensors are stock and have 35.000miles on it. and car has custom cams installed

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
What are you opening these data logs in? The default for me is excel but when I try and open it in livelink it doesnt work.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
^ Got it thanks. Guess you have to save the file then open it in livelink instead of just opening it using livelink.

mr-proper

Established Member
^ Got it thanks. Guess you have to save the file then open it in livelink instead of just opening it using livelink.

yes.
SIDE NOTE> i did not reset the KAM after i tighten the midpipe to headers manifold today

walked_u_hard

Established Member
seeing as a mach doesnt have KAM... that was pointless. Swap your upstream O2 sensors and see if the code goes to the other bank. If it does then you have a bad sensor, if it doesnt you have a exhaust leak. The problem is not in the tune or fueling of the car, if it was both sensors would read lean.

if the one is bad, just replace both as the second one wont be far behind.

stang910

Established Member
the new datalog is, after i tighten down the the driver side midpipe to headers manifold today. how can i tell, if it helped or not?i reset the code and it hasn't come on YET..lol (drove about 30miles)
,and i think the passenger side has a small leak too,but i cant get to it,
may have to bring it to muffler shop.
does the bank 2 short trim now look closer to the bank 1 or is still way off?? sorry i just dont understand the datalog.
02 sensors are stock and have 35.000miles on it. and car has custom cams installed

The second datalog is just as bad as the first. Long terms are 1.07 and 1.20 which shows your fueling is lean 7% on bank 1 and 20% on bank 2. Short terms don't tell you much since the computer has adaptive turned on. Basically your short terms are correct cause the computer has corrected them with learning which shows in the long terms.

mr-proper

Established Member
seeing as a mach doesnt have KAM... that was pointless. Swap your upstream O2 sensors and see if the code goes to the other bank. If it does then you have a bad sensor, if it doesnt you have a exhaust leak. The problem is not in the tune or fueling of the car, if it was both sensors would read lean.

if the one is bad, just replace both as the second one wont be far behind.

so it could be bad o2 sensor or a exhaust leak? i swapthe o2 sensor out tonight and see if the banks are switching

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
What cams and were they installed "Dot to Dot"? Maybe one chain is off a tooth? I really don't like this wot pull for many reasons...

svtp.jpg

mr-proper

Established Member
What cams and were they installed "Dot to Dot"? Maybe one chain is off a tooth? I really don't like this wot pull for many reasons...

svtp.jpg

Can you please explain, what do you see wrong with it?? Had the cams professional installed and i will get the car back to the shop hopefully by the end of this week.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
It looks like you're commanding an afr in the 15's??? STFT bank 1 and 2. Load is only .8 with a MAF count of 781. Spark is @ 23 and goes even higher. #1, you need a wideband.

P.S. Encasedmetal has some great advice above and here's what a good wot run should look like. This was on a dyno that I tuned. Notice pids used.

Dyno_072312.jpg

Last edited:

mr-proper

Established Member
car is at the shop, i will keep you guys updated ! to many threads with no answer, how they got it fixed.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
the car will remain in OL until you reach the temp your tuner has specified for it to go into closed loop- it's usually around 160 most make the switch. 180-200 is the proper operating range- so depending on the where and when your issue is will determne how you want to datalog.

Mine goes into open loop within 2 minutes from being cold. 160* sure excessive especially with the stringent emission laws now a days.

Users who are viewing this thread