Help with convertible leak

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Leak fixed go to post 24...

I could use a little help with a water leak by the the passenger side door. It only leaks sometimes and I cannot find the source. All my seals are in good shape and pliable. I have pulled panels with no luck. Has anyone experienced this same leak and found it?

Thanks!

IMG_3442_zpscblhoibn.jpg

IMG_3441_zpshpwci6ej.jpg

Last edited:

TKat13

Under Construction
Established Member
Most likely your drain hole is clogged. There should be one towards the front and one towards the back. My 04 had this issue, small pipe cleaner does the trick

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I tried to search for drain holes you mentioned and had no luck finding them. Where abouts are the front and rear drain holes if you don't mind :)

TheDoughboy

Established Member
"Most likely your drain hole is clogged. There should be one towards the front and one towards the back. "

Front or back of exactly Where? The bottom door drain holes are completely open and unblocked. When it does leak it is only in the area you see. The surrounding front floorboard, under seat and rear floorboard area are Bone dry. I do appreciate any other help here guys/gals in locating this stupid leak??

Mabye my speaker is leaking Biggie and Tupac?? :pepper:

Last edited:

Treek

Established Member
Check the windshield, too.
it could be running down the firewall and under the carpet.

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Check the windshield, too.
it could be running down the firewall and under the carpet.

I did check there already almost the first place I checked along with the a/c drain, nice and dry. The carpet and surrounding area is dry. The dash above the wet spot is dry (wet spot:rolling:) I might have to pull the passenger seat and fold the carpet back. Then re-carpet the complete area with newspaper. Then I might be able to find out if the water is either dripping above that spot or if it's a lil stream that puddles in spot.

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You can also use talcum powder or any personal powder to try to find leaks instead of newspaper. If you think you are getting close, you can run it through the car wash while you are looking at the suspected spot.

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Talcum powder, I remember reading about that years ago in Hemmings Motor News. I totally forgot about it until you just told me.

Thank you!!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
That's why it says Gray Beard under my screen name.

Senility hasn't gotten me yet (I don't think it has anyway.) :)

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Have you run it through a carwash while looking for where the leak is?

I am glad I have a coupe.

I was inside with a flashlight while the wife was spraying it down. No leak could be found. It also does Not leak all the time. The rain must be hitting some spot just right for an unknown duration then I have the wet spot on the carpet in the morning. I always dry it the best I can and have no mildewing.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Years ago, I had a Honda Accord commuter with a leak in the trunk I could not find. It did start to smell like mildew, so I wound up selling the car. The guy who bought it never registered it, and it was found abandoned on the side of a road a few months later. The state tried to make me pay for the towing, but I had the release from the new owner, so I didn't have to pay.

That Accord was replaced by.... My Cobra.

I feel your pain.

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Years ago, I had a Honda Accord commuter with a leak in the trunk I could not find.

Hell, that leak I could find. 99% of the time the leak is from the taillight gaskets. The foam gaskets get old and compressed then leaks. When I wrenched on Honda/Acuras I replaced a lot of them :)

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Yeah, I figured that out after my son and I rebuilt his first 88 CRX.

But I have to say, I am super happy with the upgrade to my SN95. :)

I hate leaks of all kinds. Good luck finding your leak.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks factory, still is soft and supple and appears to seal correctly.

I'd replace the weatherstripping, no telling if it is original. It may look fine but it just needs one spot where it is deteriorating. Also, is the top original?

TheDoughboy

Established Member
I'd replace the weatherstripping, no telling if it is original. It may look fine but it just needs one spot where it is deteriorating. Also, is the top original?

I am almost positive it is not leaking from the top header or side seals. The top was replaced a few years ago before I got the car and is in good shape. I was planning to replace the top with one made from Haartz cloth in future with all new seals at that time.

Depending on the weather here, I plan to remove the passenger mirror and seal up with some dum-dum. I was thinking that could be a entry point for water as the wet spot is on the floor directly under the mirror. I'm also going to (carefully) pull the wiper cowl and inspect for drains and debris.

Users who are viewing this thread