Help me with my next weekend car purchase

thekanezzi

Established Member
Strap in fellas, this is going to be a long one. I really apprciate any help from you more experienced lads. All suggestions are welcome.

I will be purchasing a new weekend car in the next year and for the first time ever, I am really conflicted. This is partly because my budget is higher than ever and partly because I have had a few cars since my last weekend car purchase and my tastes have changed.

Criteria I am trying to hit

-5lbs/hp to the wheel
-4 seats, even if the back seats are small. I have a small wife and kid.
-Smog ‘legal’ in California. I don’t actually care about it being legal, I just want it to pass with a small amount of changes back. Can swap back in cats but don’t want to remove an illegal turbo kit. Cops can be nasty where i live
-Actually streetable. Don’t want a daily driver but long trips in hot ass weather is a must.

A little background on my car history

Approximately 1 assload of cars. Had a ‘13 coyote with a tvs2300. I currently have a FBO ported 04 cobra. Faster car I ever owned was a pretty nasty FD RX7 with a 7L LS swap. I have also had others but those are the only notable ones. I’m 34.

My dad has had some cool stuff. It was Ferrari and MB city for my whole childhood. He now has a penchant for vintage v12 Ferraris. They are cool but not my thing and I couldn’t afford 1% of the stuff he does. I only mention it to illustrate that I’ve been fortunate enough to have had quite a few toes in quite a few ponds. Dad hasn’t given me a dime since I was 17 so I’m on my own.

Earlier this year I started commuting so i sold my FoST for a A4. Wow. It just made sense to me, I guess the light went on, which really is having me question even further the type of car I want.

Options as I see them

-New coyote, tvs2650 or maybe Hellion if they go CARB legal. This is not only the fastest option, but also the easiest and cheapest. I’m sure there is bias here and that’s ok. It’s an awesome car.

Pros: Fast, cheap, easy to build
Cons: Don’t really like the coyote sound. Will be my 3rd mustang in 4 years. Not ‘special’ Won’t scratch the German itch. MT82

-ZL1, whipple 2.9. I know, but it really is a sweet car. Smog passable. Fast. Robust

Pros: ‘Special’ Car, fast, best sounding
Cons: Chevy, pricey once built, wont scratch German itch, not into looks

- Hellcat. Will it hit my power number? Possibly

Pros: Love the challenger look and sound is good.
Cons: Weighs as much as a planet. My power level is possible but worried about reliability

-997 Turbo (s). Ill admit, Ive never driven or been for a ride in a 911. So I am looking for a way to make that happen

Pros: Very special. Timeless. Robust. Man, i raced a few FBO 997.2 Turbo s with the PDK in my time and those cars were stupid fast. Easy to smog. Reliable. Dead sexy. Seems easier to keep an extended time.
Cons: At the extreme of being able to afford. I can do it but it will take a year of saving to get me there. Don’t know jack about Porsches. Are Porsche’s boring cars driven by men in their 60s with ED?

EDIT- I’m adding a few cars brought up from the thread

-RS7
-C/E63s

Cars I’m not into:

Anything BMW. I just don’t get it.
CTSV. Amazing car but it’s just a ZL1 but heavier right?

So there it is fellas.

Am I missing any obvious cars? Am I missing anything with the ideas i posted? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I sped-red that thread & will bite off the chunk first. Buy a special mint Terminator or 13/14 GT500 and mod away to taste.
Or, chase the ongoing list of bullshit cars on the market today.
Or, get into some problematic European junk. J/K.
No, not J/K..

IA Shelby

Established Member
I sped-red that thread & will bite off the chunk first. Buy a special mint Terminator or 13/14 GT500 and mod away to taste.
Or, chase the ongoing list of bullshit cars on the market today.
Or, get into some problematic European junk. J/K.
No, not J/K..

Cracking the Ezra Brooks I see again. 13/14 would be a good choice.

thekanezzi

Established Member
I'm surprised by the 13/14 suggestion. My TVS '13 gt was was faster in multiple instances. I guess they are modifiable though. Hmm.. something to consider.

Why is the European stuff junk lol? I get some of it sucks but a 911 is junk? Help me understand.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Your post is all over the place/globe on car wants. Heck, an 05/06 Ford GT would blow everything outta the water.
Good luck on the search.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
FD992548-E376-41CB-999F-86A045B91178.jpeg

shelbygirl144

Established Member
If you can afford it go with the Porsche Turbo, a used 997 Turbo 6 speed can be bought under 80k, make sure you get sport chrono though, the 996 Turbo is prone to understeer why they called the 996 GT2 the widow maker. These cars are very fast and stealth with the right rims they are sick . Just do your research and don't rush into it. Good luck

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since you have a wife and child and therefore will occasionally likely need to seat 3, I'm going to recommend either a modded '19 Coyote or a '19 Hellcat Challenger Widebody. My personal choice would be the Challenger.

maxresdefault.jpg

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
It's heavier, but Hellcat Charger?
Those 6.2s are stout engines and can survive more boost.

Get some legit leg room for your kid(s), while still having a car that can haul ass.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Strap in fellas, this is going to be a long one. I really apprciate any help from you more experienced lads. All suggestions are welcome.

I will be purchasing a new weekend car in the next year and for the first time ever, I am really conflicted. This is partly because my budget is higher than ever and partly because I have had a few cars since my last weekend car purchase and my tastes have changed.

Criteria I am trying to hit

-5lbs/hp to the wheel
-4 seats, even if the back seats are small. I have a small wife and kid.
-Smog ‘legal’ in California. I don’t actually care about it being legal, I just want it to pass with a small amount of changes back. Can swap back in cats but don’t want to remove an illegal turbo kit. Cops can be nasty where i live
-Actually streetable. Don’t want a daily driver but long trips in hot ass weather is a must.

A little background on my car history

Approximately 1 assload of cars. Had a ‘13 coyote with a tvs2300. I currently have a FBO ported 04 cobra. Faster car I ever owned was a pretty nasty FD RX7 with a 7L LS swap. I have also had others but those are the only notable ones. I’m 34.

My dad has had some cool stuff. It was Ferrari and MB city for my whole childhood. He now has a penchant for vintage v12 Ferraris. They are cool but not my thing and I couldn’t afford 1% of the stuff he does. I only mention it to illustrate that I’ve been fortunate enough to have had quite a few toes in quite a few ponds. Dad hasn’t given me a dime since I was 17 so I’m on my own.

Earlier this year I started commuting so i sold my FoST for a A4. Wow. It just made sense to me, I guess the light went on, which really is having me question even further the type of car I want.

Options as I see them

-New coyote, tvs2650 or maybe Hellion if they go CARB legal. This is not only the fastest option, but also the easiest and cheapest. I’m sure there is bias here and that’s ok. It’s an awesome car.

Pros: Fast, cheap, easy to build
Cons: Don’t really like the coyote sound. Will be my 3rd mustang in 4 years. Not ‘special’ Won’t scratch the German itch. MT82

-ZL1, whipple 2.9. I know, but it really is a sweet car. Smog passable. Fast. Robust

Pros: ‘Special’ Car, fast, best sounding
Cons: Chevy, pricey once built, wont scratch German itch, not into looks

- Hellcat. Will it hit my power number? Possibly

Pros: Love the challenger look and sound is good.
Cons: Weighs as much as a planet. My power level is possible but worried about reliability

-997 Turbo (s). Ill admit, Ive never driven or been for a ride in a 911. So I am looking for a way to make that happen

Pros: Very special. Timeless. Robust. Man, i raced a few FBO 997.2 Turbo s with the PDK in my time and those cars were stupid fast. Easy to smog. Reliable. Dead sexy. Seems easier to keep an extended time.
Cons: At the extreme of being able to afford. I can do it but it will take a year of saving to get me there. Don’t know jack about Porsches. Are Porsche’s boring cars driven by men in their 60s with ED?

Cars I’m not into:

Anything BMW. I just don’t get it.
CTSV. Amazing car but it’s just a ZL1 but heavier right?

So there it is fellas.

Am I missing any obvious cars? Am I missing anything with the ideas i posted? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!
Build Your 2018 AMG C 63 S Performance Coupe | Mercedes-Benz

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
I’m sure Zemedici could explain a reliable 1000 hp hellcat scenario, and be willing to drive it out to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thekanezzi

Established Member

Oh boy. Can you imagine if that thing was actually fast?

If you can afford it go with the Porsche Turbo, a used 997 Turbo 6 speed can be bought under 80k, make sure you get sport chrono though, the 996 Turbo is prone to understeer why they called the 996 GT2 the widow maker. These cars are very fast and stealth with the right rims they are sick . Just do your research and don't rush into it. Good luck

Good info. It’d have to be a 997 for me i think. Not into the 996. Have you owned one?

Since you have a wife and child and therefore will occasionally likely need to seat 3, I'm going to recommend either a modded '19 Coyote or a '19 Hellcat Challenger Widebody. My personal choice would be the Challenger.

View attachment 1499079

The ‘19 Coyote is a tough car to beat. I should mention I also have had a srt8 300. I did love that car, but it was a daily and not a weekend car.

It's heavier, but Hellcat Charger?
Those 6.2s are stout engines and can survive more boost.

Get some legit leg room for your kid(s), while still having a car that can haul ass.

Aren’t these cars having issues with the gearbox and rear ends at higher power levels?

Now this is another great option. I love these cars but I’m not sure how modifiable they are. Ill read up on them.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Oh boy. Can you imagine if that thing was actually fast?

Good info. It’d have to be a 997 for me i think. Not into the 996. Have you owned one?

The ‘19 Coyote is a tough car to beat. I should mention I also have had a srt8 300. I did love that car, but it was a daily and not a weekend car.

Aren’t these cars having issues with the gearbox and rear ends at higher power levels?

Now this is another great option. I love these cars but I’m not sure how modifiable they are. Ill read up on them.
Lots of tuners available for them. Alpina versions come tweaked a bit higher. I think around 600hp with sub 4 0-60s. How fast do you want?

thekanezzi

Established Member
Lots of tuners available for them. Alpina versions come tweaked a bit higher. I think around 600hp with sub 4 0-60s. How fast do you want?

I meant if the dildo car was fast.

I just looked up the alpha version which makes like 800hp on pump with upgraded turbos, so yea that plenty fast for me. This is a very interesting option

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I meant if the dildo car was fast.

I just looked up the alpha version which makes like 800hp on pump with upgraded turbos, so yea that plenty fast for me. This is a very interesting option
The wagon? 605 hp or so. 3.9 in 0-60. What fun to race that at thr local strip.!

Users who are viewing this thread