Help me with Challenger, N.A guys are funny

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Realisticly, Ford only made 3 years of the Coyote that could hold monster boost, 2015-2017. 2018s seem to be having trouble and the 11-14s had some rather not strong rods.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Right? How much power does a stock 2v or stock na 4v really hold? 3v? Not much is the answer....
That's the point... Ford has incrementally made their engines stronger and it's not by accident. Same for GM. FCA, not so much. A 6.4 is no stronger then a 6.1 and the 5.7 has not had any strength updates.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
But on the flip side it's not up the manufacturer to build the engine how we want it. More then likely us Ford fans have been spoiled knowing we could push things a little beyond stock and not worry about it blowing up. But it's not like the manufacturer has to build an engine that can take boost from the factory. They have goals to reach and that's all they need to do.
What about dem GM boys and those LS motors...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Realisticly, Ford only made 3 years of the Coyote that could hold monster boost, 2015-2017. 2018s seem to be having trouble and the 11-14s had some rather not strong rods.

Mostly true.

The 18+ Gen 3 has major strength improvements in the block vs Gen 1 and 2. They've also moved back to 12mm head studs vs. 11mm in 13-17 motors which is huge as the cylinder head will stay planted much easier under boost.

The rods are the same as Gen 2 (tough as hell) as are the pistons save for the dimple for DI.

The rub on the Gen 3 has been the spay bore lining in the cylinders. There are reports of it flaking off in some engines leading to premature cylinder bore failure (piston slap and bore scoring). Apparently the plasma spray process was farmed out to someone other than the shop that did the Trinity motors and the Voodoo.

Once Ford gets their arms around the spray bore issues, the Gen 3 is going to go down as the baddest, strongest, most efficient Coyote to date.

I will wait until they fix the liner issues, then I'll buy a Ford short block and build one on the side for my TT car. A brand new Gen 3 short block is $2050 today.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
How many 4.8 and 5.3 LS short blocks has Cleetus blown up in his Ruby Corvette build? 3 at the least. Their claim to fame is that they are cheap as hell to buy and can take some boost for a short time. They are not the end all be all of engines.

I had a dude that I knew at my old workplace that LS swapped his Tacoma Xrunner. Should have had a dildo as his shifter that has LS written on it. The swap was pretty bad ass. The constant LS this or LS that, LS swap the world. Lmao, his first romance with a V8 and its the best engine EVAR!@!

LS1 2 and 3 is pretty stout but again, they will only hold for so long before they go boom on stock internals.

Now you have the GT500 engines that can put down 700 whp all day long and the 15-17 Coyotes that LOOOVVVEEEE boost.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Mostly true.

The 18+ Gen 3 has major strength improvements in the block vs Gen 1 and 2. They've also moved back to 12mm head studs vs. 11mm in 13-17 motors which is huge as the cylinder head will stay planted much easier under boost.

The rods are the same as Gen 2 (tough as hell) as are the pistons save for the dimple for DI.

The rub on the Gen 3 has been the spay bore lining in the cylinders. There are reports of it flaking off in some engines leading to premature cylinder bore failure (piston slap and bore scoring). Apparently the plasma spray process was farmed out to someone other than the shop that did the Trinity motors and the Voodoo.

Once Ford gets their arms around the spray bore issues, the Gen 3 is going to go down as the baddest, strongest, most efficient Coyote to date.

I will wait until they fix the liner issues, then I'll buy a Ford short block and build one on the side for my TT car. A brand new Gen 3 short block is $2050 today.

$2,050 is cheap and you really can't beat that...machine shop work/assembly is an easy 500+, then add up the cost of a block, crank, pistons, rods, fasteners, ring set, bearings etc

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
$2,050 is cheap and you really can't beat that...machine shop work/assembly is an easy 500+, then add up the cost of a block, crank, pistons, rods, fasteners, ring set, bearings etc

Yep.. truthfully when i do it, ill buy pistons and possibly rods. That's it. And im still on the fence about buying rods. Do it all in my garage on the cheap.

I made 913whp last week on the lousy Gen 3 so....... there's that LOL.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yep.. truthfully when i do it, ill buy pistons and possibly rods. That's it. Do it all in my garage on the cheap.

BTW.. .I made 913whp last week on the lousy Gen 3 so....... there's that LOL.

where are you sourcing the shortblock? I have a feeling my 14 is on borrowed time...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
hell, some people think Im crazy, but Im seriously considering just swapping rods, spec new rod and main bearings, having the rotating assembly balanced, main studs installed. Then throw that bitch back together with billet and forged timing system for 2 step. Wait for a Whipple 4.0 (maybe a 4.5L) and fuel system next holiday season and go bust some heads in Mexico.

*edited slightly. #grammar

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
hell, some people think Im crazy, but Im seriously considering just swapping rods, spec new rod and main bearings, having the rotating assembly balanced, main studs installed and throwing that bitch back together with billet or forged timing system for 2 step. Wait for a Whipple 4.0 (maybe a 4.5L) and fuel system next holiday season and go bust some heads in Mexico.

you dont want you to be that guy with a mega blower that you are spinning at 10lbs...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
hell, some people think Im crazy, but Im seriously considering just swapping rods, spec new rod and main bearings, having the rotating assembly balanced, main studs installed and throwing that bitch back together with billet and forged timing system for 2 step. Wait for a Whipple 4.0 (maybe a 4.5L) and fuel system next holiday season and go bust some heads in Mexico.

I dont disagree. GT500s all came with bad ass forged pistons and cranks. Makes no sense why Ford put shit box rods in those cars. I actually never understood why people put new pistons into GT500s simply because "the motor was apart".

So what! That's still ~$1000 you save if you reuse the factory forged pistons.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Like the other guys said. Those are mostly because they're cheap and easy to get. They were still built to reach a power goal. I doubt the engineers designed the engines to handle 1000hp from the factory.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Now the more I look at hellcats the harder they to pass up. I guess I am not looking for another project but if I end up tinkering, the 392 is a total waste. The cost of the option is only $10k and the hellcat is a hell of a lot more car. Also, kind of like gt500 vs mustangs they seem to be babied vs. so so for the 392s. Finding a 15 or 16 with single digit miles is no big deal. The only thing is that if I get a hellcat it may have to wait until fall but might be worth wait. Thoughts?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Now the more I look at hellcats the harder they to pass up. I guess I am not looking for another project but if I end up tinkering, the 392 is a total waste. The cost of the option is only $10k and the hellcat is a hell of a lot more car. Also, kind of like gt500 vs mustangs they seem to be babied vs. so so for the 392s. Finding a 15 or 16 with single digit miles is no big deal. The only thing is that if I get a hellcat it may have to wait until fall but might be worth wait. Thoughts?
A326E0AB-B2DD-4767-A367-A64555B26433.gif

noco5.0

Established Member
There are lightly used Hellcats all over the place for mid 40's. On the Hellcat forums there is a lot of talk about the value tanking even further this spring when all of the blowout lease deals start getting turned back in. The Hellcat drivetrain is pretty bullet proof. I've owned a Scat Pack, a 16 A8 Challenger Hellcat and now a 15 M6 Challenger Hellcat. The 15 is the best car I've owned. The only major thing I would be worried about with a used Hellcat is the bad supercharger bearing. My 16 had it and my 15 doesn't. Other than that I've not heard of any major problems with them. If you plan to leave it stock you could buy one still under factory warranty and then get a Mopar factory extended warranty for about 1500 bucks depending on miles etc.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
There are lightly used Hellcats all over the place for mid 40's. On the Hellcat forums there is a lot of talk about the value tanking even further this spring when all of the blowout lease deals start getting turned back in. The Hellcat drivetrain is pretty bullet proof. I've owned a Scat Pack, a 16 A8 Challenger Hellcat and now a 15 M6 Challenger Hellcat. The 15 is the best car I've owned. The only major thing I would be worried about with a used Hellcat is the bad supercharger bearing. My 16 had it and my 15 doesn't. Other than that I've not heard of any major problems with them. If you plan to leave it stock you could buy one still under factory warranty and then get a Mopar factory extended warranty for about 1500 bucks depending on miles etc.

Helpful, thanks. What was difference in insurance between HC and SP?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL
You're welcome bro. lol

Users who are viewing this thread