Help me spend 5K

Zeke0123

Established Member
Married guys will probably understand but I have 5K and 5K ONLY to spend on upgrades....I haven't done any modding since I sold my GN many moons ago and the bug has hit me (and I got a coupla guys at work that might want a piece)..so anyways I've learned to trust the advice on this board and the knowledge so Id like some advice on spending this cash.

I already have the FRPP intake tune and lowering kit along with some 305 Nittos. I'd like to spend this on power upgrades.

Kostas

Established Member
Do upper and lower, heat exchanger, radiator, cooland tanks, and headers. When time comes, upgrade the blower.

Zeke0123

Established Member
Do upper and lower, heat exchanger, radiator, cooland tanks, and headers. When time comes, upgrade the blower.

Thanks Kostas probably should have mentioned Im in Cali so exhaust mods are probably out since they can impound your car...I'd like to stay legal even though I'm sure it will limit me.

Leonard 95

Established Member
upper/lower pulley/H-E/3:73's Gears + LCA/UCA's/tune and short throw shifter
Now that would be more fun to drive IMO:beer:

What he said, maybe take out the lower and keep a eye on a used whipple or tvs! That should keep you pretty close to 5k if not a little over.

sfadchi

Established Member
Upgrade the blower! The Whipple 2.9L is the best blower out there for a stock compression motor IMO, it is also the most cost effective. It does not require lowering the motor, cutting the hood or losing your strut tower brace. You can also use you existing FRP CAI. You will have $1500 left over for bigger injectors and a throttle body if you want even more power! PM Me if you want details, I've done allot with my old 2.9L, including making a 9 second pass.

Whipple 2007+ Shelby GT500 STAGE 1 2.9L Supercharger (Black) [WK-200200B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd NOT do headers unless you are doing a supercharger at the same time. That's a lot of coin for very little benefit on an otherwise stock motor. A search should give you more info on that topic - I'm too lazy to post it all up.

Last edited:

2kmelat

Established Member

+3 keep an eye open for used kb might be seeing alot of them real soon. It was good enough to get me into a low 10s pass with a 3 pulley and nothing else. well one thing rear bogarts. then the only thing your friends will see is the rear of your car. good luck and have fun. I might have a couple of thinks for ya if you go this way.

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Whipple 2.9 would give you the most bang for the buck! Don't forget to get your UCA replaced to ditch the wheel hop.

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
Upgrade the blower! The Whipple 2.9L is the best blower out there for a stock compression motor IMO, it is also the most cost effective. It does not require lowering the motor, cutting the hood or losing your strut tower brace. You can also use you existing FRP CAI. You will have $1500 left over for bigger injectors and a throttle body if you want even more power! PM Me if you want details, I've done allot with my old 2.9L, including making a 9 second pass.
]

+1 on that, I'm saving my $$ for one now, almost there:rockon:, you won't be sorry if you go that route.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Whipple 2.9, Injectors, handheld tuner, tune.

Do the install yourself it's simple and fun.

Zeke0123

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback fellas looks like it's 50/50 to either do the smaller stuff or get the bigger blower - the supporting mods...tough choice but I'll be making it shortly :).

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
Buy a good quality used blower i.e. Kenne bell or whipple and go from there. In the market section there are a few really nice ones for sale now.

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
Dont worry about the small upgrades like heat exchanger and tanks etc. Those can be bought later and usually used but they are needed in the long run.

fastlif

Established Member

Whipple 2007+ Shelby GT500 STAGE 1 2.9L Supercharger (Black) [WK-200200B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

what he said!

Users who are viewing this thread