Help me fix my True Forged wheels!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
sorry I don't have any good advice for you, Kinda sucks you spent all that money and they can handle alittle rain. But I did want to say your car looks awesome and it's making want a TR. Good luck :beer:

Dude, did you read this entire thread? "A little rain" will not cause the problems that the OP experienced with his rims. It's impossible to say exactly what did cause it, but "a little rain" is certainly not the cause. If I had to bet, he either ran through a chemical that caused the etching or a combination of brake dust suspended in chemicals / rain that were allowed to dry on the surface and cause the etching. Brake dust is a killer on any surface let alone bare aluminum. The bottom line is that polished aluminum wheels require more upkeep than coated wheels because they are basically unprotected metal surfaces.

Brake pads are made from a few different components, including monofilament carbon fibers, metal filings, Kevlar fibers and polymer adhesives. Most of the time its the actual adhesives that cause your etching and staining. When the brake pad adhesivs become wet they turn into an acidic chemical that can etch the surface of the rim. What your actually seeing with this etching is re-polymerized and flocculating brake pad adhesive that adheres to the surface (look up flocculate if you don't know what it means).
The only way to stop the etching is to use wax or sealant to act as a sacrificial surface (just like you do on the surface of your car). The dust will eat at the wax instead of the surface of the wheel. However, if you leave it on there too long, it will eventually get through the wax surface and hit the wheel surface. That's where your cleaning habbits take over and obviously a surface like polished aluminum (which is once again a raw metal surface) becomes much more suseptable to etching than a surface that has a painted, chrome or powder coated barrier on its surface.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
ive heard people recommend Zoop, but ive also heard some people say it doesnt do much and its "just wax". im going to get my hands on some and see what it does. im about to put some polished wheels on my cobra for a lil bit.

Put up a post when you test this out. I've been following Kevin's suggestions for keeping TF's clean and mine are holding up great so far. If Zoop will keep it protected better and keep the shine, I am down!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
au contraire moonfrair(sp??)

you sold your iF because they wouldnt FIT cuz of your big brakes :poke:

geez, you guys make it sound like i try to persuade you to go with polished lips :bored::poke::kaboom::nono::shrug::p

Not contradicting anything; but that was a secondary reason I sold them.

And yeah; you did try to talk me into polished so they could be repaired :beer: and because you thought they looked just as nice as the chrome and were cheaper :coolman:

I'm just saying I'm a bum and would rather wash my chrome than polish my aluminum :beer: :poke: Nothing against it or saying which is better for who; just my taste. :thumbsup:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Not contradicting anything; but that was a secondary reason I sold them.

And yeah; you did try to talk me into polished so they could be repaired :beer: and because you thought they looked just as nice as the chrome and were cheaper :coolman:

I'm just saying I'm a bum and would rather wash my chrome than polish my aluminum :beer: :poke: Nothing against it or saying which is better for who; just my taste. :thumbsup:

gotcha :thumbsup:

its a tough call, just on looks alone. i think polished looks better on most vehicles, especially if the whole wheel is polished or chrome. the polished lips look just like the chrome lips when clean, its just easier to keep the chrome that way. and if youre talking an entire polished wheel versus an entire chrome wheel, the price difference is pretty steep. im at this difficult point right now. i want to do a set of Victorys like 04sleepers :read: but i know how i am and spending the time to keep the wheels clean. luckily the cobra sits indoors and doesnt get driven as much so its not as much of a pita as it is with the truck. thats why with my new wheels on my truck, i just went with chrome, because i never have the time to clean those 22" monsters. but now i have to be super careful because ive curbed my trucks wheels many many times before :kaboom::bash: i pay extra attention now and figure if i screw up than ill just have to bit the bullet and put a new lip on it :(

my buddy put some polished chicanes on is vette and he cant keep those things clean to save his life. he thinks theyre clean lol but they dont look like 04sleeper clean. he uses the mothers powerball and rejex but it just doesnt do it. i told him he should just go with chrome next time. he can afford it, and it will match the gold chain and hawaiin shirt beautifully :-D

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
my buddy put some polished chicanes on is vette and he cant keep those things clean to save his life. he thinks theyre clean lol but they dont look like 04sleeper clean. he uses the mothers powerball and rejex but it just doesnt do it. i told him he should just go with chrome next time. he can afford it, and it will match the gold chain and hawaiin shirt beautifully :-D
:lol::lol::lol:

91svtcoupe

TTop SVT Coupe
Established Member
I plan on reading this in its entireity when I get home..

However if I where to be looking at a set of TF Victory wheels. and told you my car sets out side all the time because no Garage would you say stay away from them?

PS...don't answer with spend the $3k on a Garage.....LOL

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Chrome baby..ain't no substitute! (Now that I have read this thread again it makes me rethink my decision to sell my chrome chicanes)

wheelsbetterpics009.gif

wheelsbetterpics015.gif

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Ya...seriously couldn't pay me enough to sport polished wheels.

I kick myself for not having my inner barrels clearcoated or something because I have to take them off once in a while to keep the bare aluminum crisp and clean. But at least I can use a fine-grade Scotchbrite on 'em and not have to worry about an ultrafine polish.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Ya...seriously couldn't pay me enough to sport polished wheels.

I kick myself for not having my inner barrels clearcoated or something because I have to take them off once in a while to keep the bare aluminum crisp and clean. But at least I can use a fine-grade Scotchbrite on 'em and not have to worry about an ultrafine polish.

sand them down and just rattle can them with some flat black spray paint. that's what my buddy did and it worked/looked great :thumbsup:

im sporting chrome right now on my rides. i never have time to mess with polishing them and they dont sit in garages all the time so they get dirty easily, especially the truck. now i just have to be super super careful not to curb them :read:

but, i will be putting on a set of fully polished boltless Victorys ala 04sleeper soon, so ill just deal with it then. it would be nice if we could chrome that wheel, but we cant, so id rather have polished with no bolts, than chrome with bolts. :p

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
im sporting chrome right now on my rides. i never have time to mess with polishing them and they dont sit in garages all the time so they get dirty easily, especially the truck. now i just have to be super super careful not to curb them :read:

Maybe if you drove a little straighter that wouldn't be an issue :poke:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I just did, its in the mail. You should have it in a few days..... You should watch posting pics of your car with the tag not blurred

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
I actually have the same problem on my rear Speed 7's right now (fully polished). Funny thing is, it's identical to your pictures OP, and cannot get it off to save my life. I've tried a lot of different buffing solutions in addition to the recommendations here, but still no luck.

Does anyone have any other ideas to how I can get this resolved without getting them professionally repolished?

Graves

Established Member
That sucks! I'd have them clearcoated or powder-coated with clear after getting them back up to par.

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
That sucks! I'd have them clearcoated or powder-coated with clear after getting them back up to par.

I was thinking about getting them powdercoated super metallic gunmetal with a Vista Blue lip. What do you think (I don't mean to hack the thread)?

DSC_8926pb.jpg

Evenflow

Established Member
I've personally never had a problem with this issue and I am from Boston.

I have Chrome Saleens for the summer time, and then throw my polished bullitts on for the winter time with Blizzaks. The thing I love about chrome is how EASY they are to maintain if you KEEP ONTOP OF THEM! That means wash them weekly, they will look brand new all the time.

That stinks that has happened with your polished rims. I've used everything from Meguiars Wheel Brightener (Which is highly acidic in its nature) on my polished bullitt wheels and never had a problem like this.

I let my cousin use the wheel brightener on his aluminum wheels and the wheels start SMOKING because of the chemical interaction between the two.

Steve is a stand up guy for offering what he has to help fix the wheels. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread