Help me fix my True Forged wheels!

Hookem

Established Member
I have the HRE's, and the lips are way too soft. If I decide to change wheels, I would definetly go with True Forged.:thumbsup:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^^ I've heard all kinds of customers say that the HRE lips bend so ridiculously easy.

Steve has here again offered services that most companies would tell you to kiss off on.

Just for clarification, Steve is correct that if I screw up a chrome lip, I can't repair it. I chose that route because I'm careful and would rather replace them than put the effort into polishing and caring for them in the interim from having them scuzz up or be adept to mother nature's wrath.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Guys trust me when I say that True Forged wheels are made with the best products available for the purpose. TF products are among the best available for these cars. I know because I'm on my 2nd set of their wheels, their Icey Res and their Intercooler Tank. All of them are outstanding quality that you can absolutely see in just workmanship alone.
The OP's wheel damage has nothing to do with the quality of product that the wheel is made of. He simply got some shit on the wheel that the aluminum couldn't stand up to. There are TONS of chemicals that are used in daily life that will stain or pit raw aluminum. Hell, there are a ton of "Wheel Cleaners" out there that will leave your aluminum wheels looking like crap. You have to make sure that you keep them clean and take care of any splashes as soon as possible to make sure that if any of those chemicals get on them, you get them off ASAP.
Like Steve said, you can fix it with a little elbow grease and some good aluminum polish.
It's very simple: If you’re lazy, don't have time to maintain wheels, don't care to maintain wheels or don't have the ability to maintain wheels, don't get polished aluminum wheels. There is no better or classier looking wheel than a good quality polished aluminum wheel. However, there is always a give and take with everything in life. If you want that classy polished aluminum look you have to pay for it with a little bit of work in polishing and maintenance.

The amount of time you have to spend polishing and maintenance all depends on your driving habits, urban surroundings, cleaning habits and products you use. I only had to polish my Chicanes two or three times in the entire time I owned them. However, I only drive my car on nice days and it sits in a climate controlled garage when I'm not driving it.
I use only the best and safest products that I can get on my wheels and I keep them clean at all times.

Polished Wheel care 101 (My exact routine):

Wash with Sonus Car Shampoo, rinse and while wet, spray with P21S wheel gel. Let the Wheel Gel sit and soak in for about 5-10 minutes (length depending on level of contamination) and then agitate with microfiber pad or towel (also soaked in Sonus Car Shampoo).
I then dry the wheels with a leaf blower and wipe excess water off with a dry microfiber. If the wheels need a polishing after that (which if you take care of them routinely, they most likely wont), I start with Adams Metal Polish #2 on a MF aluminum polishing rag. I buff and remove with a heavy MF polishing towel. If they don't need a polishing, I usually apply a coat of PoorBoys Wheel Sealant.

In-between polishes and washes, I use PoorBoys Spray N Wash on a MF towel to keep them clean and free of dreaded brake dust. That keeps them looking clean and polished and ensures that the brake dust doesn’t get a chance to etch into the aluminum.

Got Boost?

Established Member
After washing you shouldn't have to do much of anything. Once you've sealed it with something like ZoopSeal; it should prevent you from having to polish (nor would you want to...I'd think you'd be removing the protection) Check their website for full info.

Don't use Mother's Aluminum; use either Adam's; English Custom; or Mother's Billet polish.

Why do you say not to use Mother's Alum.? I've been using it on my welds for a while with pretty good results, I had planned to pick up the adams polish when it ran out though... The Adams does seem to give higher quality results, but like I said, I had decent results with the reg. Mothers. Just curious why you advise against it, if its a "quality of results" kind of thing - or if it can cause some sort of issue I'm unaware of?

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Why do you say not to use Mother's Alum.? I've been using it on my welds for a while with pretty good results, I had planned to pick up the adams polish when it ran out though... The Adams does seem to give higher quality results, but like I said, I had decent results with the reg. Mothers. Just curious why you advise against it, if its a "quality of results" kind of thing - or if it can cause some sort of issue I'm unaware of?
The Mothers won't do anything to harm your wheels, it is just much more abrasive.

The Adams works better than the Mothers when polishing Aluminum because there are no abrasives in it. Just liquid. That is one of the reasons it gives a better shine.

Adams only makes one Metal Polish now. They combined both the 1 and 2.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Guys trust me when I say that True Forged wheels are made with the best products available for the purpose. TF products are among the best available for these cars. I know because I'm on my 2nd set of their wheels, their Icey Res and their Intercooler Tank. All of them are outstanding quality that you can absolutely see in just workmanship alone.
The OP's wheel damage has nothing to do with the quality of product that the wheel is made of. He simply got some shit on the wheel that the aluminum couldn't stand up to. There are TONS of chemicals that are used in daily life that will stain or pit raw aluminum. Hell, there are a ton of "Wheel Cleaners" out there that will leave your aluminum wheels looking like crap. You have to make sure that you keep them clean and take care of any splashes as soon as possible to make sure that if any of those chemicals get on them, you get them off ASAP.
Like Steve said, you can fix it with a little elbow grease and some good aluminum polish.
It's very simple: If you’re lazy, don't have time to maintain wheels, don't care to maintain wheels or don't have the ability to maintain wheels, don't get polished aluminum wheels. There is no better or classier looking wheel than a good quality polished aluminum wheel. However, there is always a give and take with everything in life. If you want that classy polished aluminum look you have to pay for it with a little bit of work in polishing and maintenance.

The amount of time you have to spend polishing and maintenance all depends on your driving habits, urban surroundings, cleaning habits and products you use. I only had to polish my Chicanes two or three times in the entire time I owned them. However, I only drive my car on nice days and it sits in a climate controlled garage when I'm not driving it.
I use only the best and safest products that I can get on my wheels and I keep them clean at all times.

Wash with Sonus Car Shampoo, rinse and while wet, spray with P21S wheel gel. Let the Wheel Gel sit and soak in for about 5-10 minutes (length depending on level of contamination) and then agitate with microfiber pad or towel (also soaked in Sonus Car Shampoo).
I then dry the wheels with a leaf blower and wipe excess water off with a dry microfiber. If the wheels need a polishing after that (which if you take care of them routinely, they most likely wont), I start with Adams Metal Polish #2 on a MF aluminum polishing rag. I buff and remove with a heavy MF polishing towel. If they don't need a polishing, I usually apply a coat of PoorBoys Wheel Sealant.

In-between polishes and washes, I use PoorBoys Spray N Wash on a MF towel to keep them clean and free of dreaded brake dust. That keeps them looking clean and polished and ensures that the brake dust doesn’t get a chance to etch into the aluminum.

wow! i could never put that kind of time into it lol. thanks for the write up bill :beer: i may add it to our website.

The Mothers won't do anything to harm your wheels, it is just much more abrasive.

The Adams works better than the Mothers when polishing Aluminum because there are no abrasives in it. Just liquid. That is one of the reasons it gives a better shine.

good to know kevin :thumbsup:

bubbrubb

Steve, you're the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

I left you a voicemail last night, lemme know what's up! I have 3/4 wheels apart and still gotta do the last one tonight but should be no problem getting it done :rockon:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member

Right on all counts.

I don't suggest the Mother's Mag/AL for use on wheels like these for the simple reason that it will leave micro marring and the shine won't be as high. The Weld wheels do well with it for whatever reason (alloy), but try some English or Adam's and I bet they'll look better. It won't harm anything, you'll just see slightly better results with the other products.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
wow! i could never put that kind of time into it lol. thanks for the write up bill :beer: i may add it to our website.

When your sitting behind your desk on a 6p to 6a shift and the radio hasn't made a sound in 3 hours:bored:, you'd be surprised at how much you can get done:lol1:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
When your sitting behind your desk on a 6p to 6a shift and the radio hasn't made a sound in 3 hours:bored:, you'd be surprised at how much you can get done:lol1:

and y'all still aren't paid enough right??!?! :bored::p:read:

j/k bill. youre probably the most kick ass mfer on this forum in real life :bowdown:

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
HKSWAT.jpg

Last edited:

04silvervenom

Established Member

Thanks for an awesome write up. I bought sleepers wheels and I am paranoid on maintaining their look. I will follow and purchase all the products you mentioned. Thanks again and good luck with your new set up man. :beer:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Now I know why I got chrome lips and didn't let Steve talk me into the polished ones...I'd drive myself nuts...
x7986789679854

My iForged were polished & I dealt with the same crap. When I ordered the Chicanes I got chrome just for that reason.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
x7986789679854

My iForged were polished & I dealt with the same crap. When I ordered the Chicanes I got chrome just for that reason.

Haha; :beer: funny, because I had a set of Iforged wheels I never even mounted bc of what a pain they were going to be...and had been before I even put them on! Thats why I sold 'em and went chrome!

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
i hate to bring up a dead topic, but would Neverdull and Lots of Nano Wax with a powerball work to fix something like this?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Haha; :beer: funny, because I had a set of Iforged wheels I never even mounted bc of what a pain they were going to be...and had been before I even put them on! Thats why I sold 'em and went chrome!

au contraire moonfrair(sp??)

you sold your iF because they wouldnt FIT cuz of your big brakes :poke:

geez, you guys make it sound like i try to persuade you to go with polished lips :bored::poke::kaboom::nono::shrug::p

and from what ive heard, the salt they put on your lovely snow covered streets (not you southern boys) can damage the chrome lips as well. the BEST prevention against this is powdercoated lips.

1bdbrd

Established Member
Is Zoop Seal really worth the money? I am about ready to put my TF wheels on and am WELL aware of how easily polished wheels can be near ruined by lack of care (had a set of TT2s that would have needed wet sanding because of Spring rain) so anything that can make the process easier is a-ok in my book.

I still feel pretty bad though that Steve helped me out like he did and I still haven't gotten them installed yet. Losing a job and spending almost 6 months unemployed doesn't do much for car funds :( I am hoping to have you some pictures within the next month or so with the car in paint and wheels on! I have test fit them tho and they look FANTASTIC on the car. I can't wait to see them on the car on the ground...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive heard people recommend Zoop, but ive also heard some people say it doesnt do much and its "just wax". im going to get my hands on some and see what it does. im about to put some polished wheels on my cobra for a lil bit.

HOSTIL

Established Member
sorry I don't have any good advice for you, Kinda sucks you spent all that money and they can handle alittle rain. But I did want to say your car looks awesome and it's making want a TR. Good luck :beer:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
sorry I don't have any good advice for you, Kinda sucks you spent all that money and they can handle alittle rain. But I did want to say your car looks awesome and it's making want a TR. Good luck :beer:

oh boy, here's another one. "a little rain" huh? :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread