help me choose my next performance mod.

04cobruh

Established Member
hey guys. trying to figure out what my next performance mod should be for my 04. its currently stock with borla stingers, SCT canned tune and a steeda shifter. im currently running 275 nitto555 up front and 315 in the rear. I have some pro kit springs on the way. so i have a pretty clean canvas to work with.
any suggestions would be awesome.:coolman:

04cobruh

Established Member
get a Dyno tune before I do any of my mods? Or should I wait? I'd at least like to have a new mid pipe on there first. And I kept the Sct tuner when I sold my 97 cobra. I mainly used it to turn off traction control, the upshift light , and change the cooling fan settings. I can't say I noticed anything with the canned tune.

Last edited:

WaffleMan

Established Member
Next mod should definetely be a JLT intake, and if you are going to pulley it might as well get the blower ported too. I have an 04 as well and when I had stingers with stock h I couldn't even hear it. Tried an o/r h and it was absolutely horrible, magnaflow catted x made it perfect, sounds exaclty how I think a cobra should sound.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Hans, Global West, or Stiffler's SFC's, diff and IRS bushings, FRPP cover or brace, upper pulley and dyno tune.

04cobruh

Established Member
I forgot I have subframe connectors as well.
I'm looking to add things one by one. I may have just found a JLT fender mount CAI.
So in thinking my next mod after that might be a mid pipe. I've always preferred the fitmant of magna flow catted over bassanni or BBK.
I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck before I get to the point where I'm porting the eaton out or better yet getting a KB.

And what size pulley or pulleys would I go with on stock injectors and fuel system?

Last edited:

WaffleMan

Established Member
I forgot I have subframe connectors as well.
I'm looking to add things one by one. I may have just found a JLT fender mount CAI.
So in thinking my next mod after that might be a mid pipe. I've always preferred the fitmant of magna flow catted over bassanni or BBK.
I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck before I get to the point where I'm porting the eaton out or better yet getting a KB.

And what size pulley or pulleys would I go with on stock injectors and fuel system?

If it's your daily driver and you have decent rain storms in your area get the JLT ram air, you don't want to suck up water, and cleaning the filter will be a PITA if it's in the fender well.

The magnaflow catted x is awesome fit and you don't have to worry about exhaust leaks because it's a one piece design, not a 3 or 5pc like bassani. But it's pretty expensive, I found mine used.

Smallest pulley you'd wanna go on a unported blower is a metco 2.8" or a Billetflow 2.76", you might need an auxillary idler pulley to help with belt wrap so as to prevent belt slip with that small of a pulley, and might as well get the other idlers replaced as quite a few others have had the stockers literally come apart shredding the belt and damaging things under the hood. You will definitely need a new mass air meter, and could possibly need a kenne bell Boost-a-pump, but every car is different so you won't know until you dyno it. You could also just get a 2.93 upper pulley to try and aviod getting the BAP but I can't guarantee your car won't need it still. Stock injectors should be good to 500-520whp so you won't have to worry about those.

To recap for best bang for your buck w/o porting:
JLT intake (ram air or CAI)
Billetflow 2.76
Billetflow Snub Idler bracket with 4 Idler pulleys (optional)
SCT BA2600
KB BAP (some need it some don't)
Dyno tune

Look in the market in these forums you can get most of that stuff used and for way cheaper than buying it all new. Best of luck!

04cobruh

Established Member
the Cobra isnt my DD. i drive it a lot since i just got it, but with the rainy season on its way, she will be spending most of her time in the garage. the only time this car will see rain is if im caught in it. but that still leaves a chance, maybe ill look into getting the RAI instead. is there much hp difference in the two?

and good to know on the pulleys. i might keep an eye out for a used set of pulleys and idlers
thanks

WaffleMan

Established Member
From what I understand the only gain you get from a filter in fender kit is when you are sitting at a stoplight. With the ram air your intake temps will start climbing while at a stop, but they shouldn't with the cold air kit. But once you start moving they should be the same.

04cobruh

Established Member
From what I understand the only gain you get from a filter in fender kit is when you are sitting at a stoplight. With the ram air your intake temps will start climbing while at a stop, but they shouldn't with the cold air kit. But once you start moving they should be the same.

well i guess ill keep an eye out for either one. after talking to a few friends who have the fender mounted intake, im not too worried about hydro locking the engine, since we dont get tons of rain or flooding here.

and as far as getting a chevy, im good lol.:nonono:

always had a mustang and always will. only chevy id own would be a 65-67 malibu/chevelle or a 70 1/2 camaro

04cobruh

Established Member
well i guess ill keep an eye out for either one. after talking to a few friends who have the fender mounted intake, im not too worried about hydro locking the engine, since we dont get tons of rain or flooding here.

and as far as getting a chevy, im good lol.:nonono:

always had a mustang and always will. only chevy id own would be a 65-67 malibu/chevelle or a 70 1/2 camaro

i think ill end up with the steeda tensioner and 2.8" pulley.
what cooling mod or mods should i look into? i keep hearing about a 170* thermostat or to drill a hole in the thermostat.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
what cooling mod or mods should i look into? i keep hearing about a 170* thermostat or to drill a hole in the thermostat.

Head cooling mod. Preferably the dagostino racing one. The lethal one is less work to install but I prefer the concept of the dagostino one. Also just get a reische 170.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

If you're going with the 2.80 pulley, you're going to have to add an auxiliary idler for more belt wrap which will help minimize belt slip. I highly recommend you replace all of your stock idlers and get a 4-piece billet idler set (Metco or Billetflow recommended). A dyno tune is the way to go if you can afford it. You're going to be really surprised after the install of the 2.80 and new tune. The increase power and torque will WOW you. I will never forget the first time I drove my Cobra after installing a 2.90 upper, 4-piece idler set and tune. I thought I was driving a different car. LOL. Went from 385rwhp/380rwtq (approx.) to 457rwhp and 480rwtq.

Also, definitely go with the Reische 170 degree thermostat.

Users who are viewing this thread