HELP! looking to purchase an 04 mystic coupe but smoking on start up

mapa03

Established Member
Hello all, I am looking to purchase an 04 mystic coupe out in northern mississippi hopefully this weekend but the owner told me that the car does blow a little blue and black smoke on start up but eventually subsides after it is warmed up. He did have a compression test done and said numbers are good, waiting on the actual results. He did have dynospeed from memphis look at it and they diagnosed it to be a set of old valve guides that allow oil to seep through while car is sitting... It has 55k miles and virtually stock besides a pulley kit and an exhaust. I did do some research and found that this can be a common issue, my worry is that I can't/won't be able to really afford to do much work on it after I buy it..Any input is GREATLY appreciated.Thanks in advance.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
depends on how much you like/want the car. i probably would not let that deter me from buying a really liked, but if it burned more than a quart every 1-2k would want to get it fixed. keep in mind on cars getting this age will usually need other things too. best of luck with it.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
You'll love the color-shifting paint!

And, for the record, Mystic is often used interchangeably with Mystichrome. Mystic was the 96 color. Mystichrome was the 04 color. They are very different.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not an uncommon problem (leaking valve guides/seals). Hopefully that is the issue. Let us know if you end up buying it.

mapa03

Established Member
Not an uncommon problem (leaking valve guides/seals). Hopefully that is the issue. Let us know if you end up buying it.

What is required to have those seals/guides repaired? Does it require any machining? And what might it approximately cost to have them repaired?

akeohan

Established Member
Mine does that very thing; it’s not a big deal. Compression and leakdown tests are still solid on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread