Help: Installed AFCO dual pass. Now I can't get coolant to burp?

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
I just installed the new heat exchanger and I proceeded to jump the coolant pump. Well I jumped the relay and the pumped started pulling coolant from the tank. I topped it off again and all of the sudden it stopped pulling the coolant? Anyone know whats going on? I primed the hoses and everything but still nothing. I havent even used that much coolant yet either. Any help is appreciated.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
If you jump the IC pump relay, and the pump won't come on.... sounds like the pump is going out. It should run constantly if you jump the relay correctly.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
The pump runs constantly. I jumped it, it bubbled and pulled coolant. I topped it off. And now it doesn't even bubble. I keep trying to jump the pump and it just wont bubble it. I've tried everything.

In other words, the pump is running, but no coolant is cycling.

Jefe

Established Member
How much coolant have you put in it? You positive the pump is running? Check the connection to the pump. Thats the biggest problem with burping

Wrap a towel around the lip of the tank and keep blowing in there until it gets going. I've had this happen many times when flushing and refilling.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Heres my report. To answer the question of "is the pump running", yes, the pump was certainly running. The pump was circulating just fine for the initial jump, however as I added more coolant, the pump stopped cycling. It seemed to me to be a tad bit ironic for the pump to suddenly fail, therefore after trial and error-ing everything I could think of, I gave up and grabbed a few cold ones and just sat on it for awhile. I came back and drained all of the fluid again from the reservoir again, and then reconnected the hose. Filled it up with coolant again, and voila, the pump started cycling as it should have. I guess I must have had an air pocket from hell. I appreciate everyones help and input :beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Or next time disconnect the top hose on the resevoir, you can either put your mouth up to it and start sucking, this will help pull the coolant through the whole system. Warning though coolant taste is bad! Better option is to use a shop vac connected to that hose and doing so while the pump is being jumped.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
I did all of that. I cracked, primed, sucked, blowed, everything! I know how chicks feel now lol. Even hooked up my air compressor to it as well. Shop vacuumed it and everything! Alls I did was drain the coolant from the bottom inlet of the heat exchanger, and let the coolant drain out. refilled with water first this time, jumped the relay, topped it off with coolant, and it was good to go. One of the worst burping experiences ever, and a waste of coolant.

Users who are viewing this thread