Help after Ford service 100k mile tune up

2004roush

Established Member
Help!!!!

So I just got the car back. I took it for a spin while in 3rd gear I go to open up and it bogs down and almost stalls. I drive slow first and second gear no problem. I got to speed up (not floor it) and it bogs down again. I talked to mechanic he said he just changed spark plugs, fuel filter , oil filter and pinion seal and new coolant for both and new transmission fluid

I noticed when I parked it and went back into garage an hour later it was still hot. I popped hood and there was a good amount of coolant on battery and tray and top. Lid was on. I opened it and it sounded like it was burping.

This car was running great for the week I had it. Eaton whined good. Boost there. And now after a trip to Ford dealer it’s all messed up. They said to bring it back up? It cost $1600 to mess up the car.

A couple of my mechanic friends said could be the gap .42 of spark plug he recommended .25.
Another mechanic friend said plenum leak possible!!

I’m at lost for words. I hope it’s not messed up!!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I replied to your other thread…but….

This is why dealers suck. Make them fix it. It could be anything….sounds fuel related to me but who knows what the incompetence of the dealer mechanic did. They literally can’t do anything right.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
If he didn't burp the coolant system after the change it could be overheating and going into limp mode or pulling timing. Need to have the plug gap tightened up too.

+1 did it to myself but similar results. Through the cross over but not being patient enough to heat cycle enough.

2004roush

Established Member
If he didn't burp the coolant system after the change it could be overheating and going into limp mode or pulling timing. Need to have the plug gap tightened up too.
Make sense why hours later it was still so hot to touch I’ve had whippled 2v and it was never this hot after an afternoon cruise. I just went around my neighborhood last night and it was hot for hours after. Even this am I heard it gurgling near coolant cap. I opened to relieve pressure and put back on

01yellercobra

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't take it back. Pick up a vacuum filler and fill the coolant system yourself. Check the intercooler system is pretty straight forwards. Depending on boost level .042" isn't horrible. But I'd tighten it to .030-.032". I ran it there with my eaton at 12psi. Do you know how to datalog?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had issues way back when taking car in for warranty repairs,

Head replacement,
Car had codes after we got it back.
Never went back to ford again except to purchase parts.

With help on here we fixed it.

Main vacuum harness wasn't in proper spot .

Post some engine bay photos.

Fuel filter backwards? Bog sound

Loose inlet tube at throttlebody will cause bog ,this seal here gets beat up . I found a replacement in junk yard from suv model

I've ran only oem plugs. On stock setup and never issue with gap .

Issues I've had over the years that caused anything like you say .

Clogged fuel filter. Bog after half pedal

Main pcv line elbows crumbling/hole ,,crazy idle but had vacuum leak noise along with problem.

Throttle body inlet loose. Idled ok but stalled when trying to drive

Overheating. Limp mode if trying to accelerate, but knew it was when looking down and guage was pegged red..

Have you tried scanning dtc even if no engine light.

vr4

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't take it back. Pick up a vacuum filler and fill the coolant system yourself. Check the intercooler system is pretty straight forwards. Depending on boost level .042" isn't horrible. But I'd tighten it to .030-.032". I ran it there with my eaton at 12psi. Do you know how to datalog?

I would. If they hurt the engine by allowing it to leave with an improper coolant fill you'll want that on record. As soon as someone else touches it they're not responsible.
I'm sure the guys that knew these cars have long moved on to something else. Dealerships generally aren't interested in 20 year old cars.
Absolutely. I was svt certified since 2002. Left in 08. No money at the dealer. The 3 that I was at over hire techs so they can comfortably cover the busiest week ever but the 51 other weeks of they year it's a fight to get enough hours

2004roush

Established Member
I appreciate all your guys feedback. I regret taking it to them. They said bring up and they will fix. I already scheduled a dyno tune and look over with my one mechanic friend who did the whipple on my Roush and custom set up a few years back.

Hoping is ok

robvas

Established Member
I'd wonder if the coils are cracked now after yanking them off and putting them back on. That could cause spark blow out at higher loads as well.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Would driving it for about ten minutes yesterday. Damage anything. ? I didn’t know anything was wrong until I got on it a bit at 30mph
It's probably fine....if you aren't sure, have it towed at the dealers expense and make them fix it properly. What a shame...

MG0h3

Established Member
Would driving it for about ten minutes yesterday. Damage anything. ? I didn’t know anything was wrong until I got on it a bit at 30mph

Was the temp gauge pegged?

Too high of coolant temp or IAT2 (intake air charge temp) will put you in limp mode.

You can do the vacuum fill or use a coolant funnel. You’ll have to zip tie it down to the coolant crossover. If you’ve never used the funnel following coolant refill, report back and I’ll explain.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread