Help Advice Needed high Iat2s. C&R HE Install

jazz

Established Member
If you left the lower air dams out of the lower opening, as stated on another thread, the air while moving is not being forced through the heat exchanger. It does not account for the high temps at idle.

But then wouldnt the cruising temps be higher too. They r not tho. At red light its at 129 then when i move its at 120. When wot its at 150-165ish

03termy

Established Member

My IAT's cruising in 90-100-degree Tx heat is around 91-98. Stuck at a light the highest I've seen is 120 but on average 112-116.

Killer Chiller & larger expansion tank with distiller water & Water Wetter in the tank.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
My IAT's cruising in 90-100-degree Tx heat is around 91-98. Stuck at a light the highest I've seen is 120 but on average 112-116.

Killer Chiller & larger expansion tank with distiller water & Water Wetter in the tank.

Do you mean your IAT or IAT2?

My actual IAT's are always just a few degrees above ambient when cruising...But the IAT2 temps will be about 30-35 degrees higher. I was looking at the Killer Chiller as well and two different shops told me they suck for street cars but with no reasoning behind their comments. I would think a Killer Chiller could be a huge benefit for keeping that fluid cold.

03termy

Established Member

My actual IAT's are always just a few degrees above ambient when cruising...But the IAT2 temps will be about 30-35 degrees higher. I was looking at the Killer Chiller as well and two different shops told me they suck for street cars but with no reasoning behind their comments. I would think a Killer Chiller could be a huge benefit for keeping that fluid cold.

IAT2's.

My boy rabbit's CTSV IAT2 is around the 75-80 degree point after a dyno pull but then quickly goes down to 68-70 degrees after.

He showed me on his iPad during the pulls. Crazy. Only thing diff is he has the KC Drag Setup. I'm thinking about buying the extra parts to convert mine over.

Last edited:

03termy

Established Member

I've had my KC on for over a year and enjoying the benefits during 150-mph highway pulls.

Shops told me that too but I'm a rebel..

My car makes 827/809 with a 2.9 Whipple on e85 with the KC.

Last edited:

jenkins_1120

Established Member
This is how I tapped into my coolant system for the KB lines

8ced343cc810ca6ee470182f8455e007.jpg

cb5f6d97fdb8a34eca456fcd95e1cae9.jpg

3edc4fe72bd10a4fd18b19add023b9fb.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I've had my Killer Chiller for almost 4 years now. The KC works better than any heat exchanger you can buy, with or without fans. My car is a 100% street car. Whatever shop told you that was just spouting off some BS they heard somewhere. That said, I believe the '03/'04 Cobras (and Lightnings) that had KCs installed would sometimes have issues, but that was because those cars had crappy A/C systems to begin with. The only minor issue there is with the KC [on the GT500] is that, with larger intercooler reservoirs, it takes longer for the air to get cold in the cabin because the A/C system is chilling all that fluid in the heat exchanger, intercooler, reservoir and hoses. If you keep the stock reservoir, there would probably be zero issue whatsoever.

Even on 100*+ days, I have zero issue with the cabin getting and staying nice and cool. I keep my temp between 70 and 72. (72 when the cabin gets too cold after driving for a while.)

Matt in Houston

Established Member
I've had my Killer Chiller for almost 4 years now. The KC works better than any heat exchanger you can buy, with or without fans. My car is a 100% street car. Whatever shop told you that was just spouting off some BS they heard somewhere. That said, I believe the '03/'04 Cobras (and Lightnings) that had KCs installed would sometimes have issues, but that was because those cars had crappy A/C systems to begin with. The only minor issue there is with the KC [on the GT500] is that, with larger intercooler reservoirs, it takes longer for the air to get cold in the cabin because the A/C system is chilling all that fluid in the heat exchanger, intercooler, reservoir and hoses. If you keep the stock reservoir, there would probably be zero issue whatsoever.

Even on 100*+ days, I have zero issue with the cabin getting and staying nice and cool. I keep my temp between 70 and 72. (72 when the cabin gets too cold after driving for a while.)

Awesome info...I think I am leaning on going this route. Was also looking at methanol but the KC seems like it has better benefits overall for my intended use.

nxhappy

Established Member
meth is the way to go !

cooler temps and octane boost :coolman:

Matt in Houston

Established Member
That was my original plan too, but then Julio at alkycontrol.com said this:

"...the IAT tables post blower won't be impacted shooting through the blower. Yes you can run more aggressive timing tables and program spark table to not pull timing.. but it won't decrease IAT's. I make a lot of kits for PD blowers. Perfect example is the CTSV, ZR1, ZL1 from GM."

So that put me back at square one and looking at the options again, including KC. He said he can make it work with a custom setup, but I believe he wants to spray it post blower.

nxhappy

Established Member
That was my original plan too, but then Julio at alkycontrol.com said this:

"...the IAT tables post blower won't be impacted shooting through the blower. Yes you can run more aggressive timing tables and program spark table to not pull timing.. but it won't decrease IAT's. I make a lot of kits for PD blowers. Perfect example is the CTSV, ZR1, ZL1 from GM."

So that put me back at square one and looking at the options again, including KC. He said he can make it work with a custom setup, but I believe he wants to spray it post blower.

ya, many people claim it won't drop IATs with PD blowers. I need the meth due to shitty California gas. This article is a good read : http://www.svtperformance.com/2014/09/02/tech-gt500-water-meth-test/

they state the case temp dropped 70 degrees.

Matt in Houston

Established Member
Yup, I've seen that article and many other threads on the subject. Enough that I am starting to get a headache from information overload. In the end, it seems there are two camps and both disagree with each other. Makes things more complicated for the end users, IMO. I mean, how can one expert claim it doesnt work very well and then another company show that it does...and how much of it is marketing?

I've decided to get the 170* stat, keep my H/E, and either go with KC or Methanol. The last two, I have not decided...I keep going back and forth. I dont really want to add more power, just keep what I've got and not have my car pull timing for 6-7 months out of the year when it gets hot down here.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Do you want to be filling up a meth bottle all the time or would you rather have chilled intercooler fluid full time, even on the hottest days?

nxhappy

Established Member
Do you want to be filling up a meth bottle all the time or would you rather have chilled intercooler fluid full time, even on the hottest days?

meth won't go quick if you have a larger tank.

and the KC won't give you 100+ octane :coolman:

devilish64

Established Member
nice job keepinng the thread on track guys.... haha. OP already has a dual fan heat exchanger so he probably isnt going with the killer chiller.

Users who are viewing this thread