Help Advice Needed high Iat2s. C&R HE Install

jazz

Established Member
Recently I decided to go with the 3" pulley for my 2.8 KB and With a Lund tune. My Iat2s were way too high before the C&R Dual Fan Heat Exchanger. They would be in the high 160-170 at idle. Then I got the dual fan he, which did help out a lot, brought the iat2s to about 120-130s at idle. Big shoutout to my buddy chad, helped me out with the install big time. Install wasn't that fun lol. Red shelby in the back is his, he's got a tvs. His Iat2s are way better than mine. His are about 114 cruising. My iat2s are at 130 at red lights but when moving they are in the 120s. But chad's Iat2s are at 114 moving.
It is pretty hot here in Ca as well. At wot my iat2s go unto about 160 but then they do come down to about 120-130 after couple of minutes cruising. IDK whats wrong at this point, my intercooler pump seems to be working, I can see the fluid moving in the ic tank. Maybe going with a larger Resevoir would help?? Could it be a faulty pump??
I think I'm gona give a new ic pump and larger reservoir a shot and see if that helps. The C&R dual fan HE did help out a lot tho. Iat2s were way too high before.
vye2sPj.jpg
8V8SOhY.jpg
MBF1zn5.jpg
1wU5OZl.jpg
5gU617D.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
A larger coolant reservoir will definitely help some. A Killer Chiller will help the most!

devilish64

Established Member
If the IAT'S go up and come down I'd have to suspect that the heat exchanger is doing its job.... I would say a larger resivoir will definitely help out. I am a tvs owner so maybe the kennel bell Liquid Cooled owners can chime in on what running the intercooler coolant through the blower did to the IAT'S . It is definitely gonna make them higher than a non LC car but I never thought it was to THAT extent. I was researching the amsoil coolant booster last night and you only get the full nlbenefit running straight water.... Plus one gentleman said water and amsoil coolant booster put holes in 2 radiators in his srt8 jeep. I'd get the larger resivoir maybe a 170* thermostat( just to try and keep everything cooler under there and its cheap and easy to install) and see what it does. Good luck...... That Red GT500 is the baddest I've ever seeeeeen

jazz

Established Member
If the IAT'S go up and come down I'd have to suspect that the heat exchanger is doing its job.... I would say a larger resivoir will definitely help out. I am a tvs owner so maybe the kennel bell Liquid Cooled owners can chime in on what running the intercooler coolant through the blower did to the IAT'S . It is definitely gonna make them higher than a non LC car but I never thought it was to THAT extent. I was researching the amsoil coolant booster last night and you only get the full nlbenefit running straight water.... Plus one gentleman said water and amsoil coolant booster put holes in 2 radiators in his srt8 jeep. I'd get the larger resivoir maybe a 170* thermostat( just to try and keep everything cooler under there and its cheap and easy to install) and see what it does. Good luck...... That Red GT500 is the baddest I've ever seeeeeen

Hopefully larger resevoir helps out, should have it sometime next week. Yes indeed that red gt500 is badd, I was lucky enough to drive it actually. That thing is scary fast... which is what i want too :D

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I am a tvs owner so maybe the kennel bell Liquid Cooled owners can chime in on what running the intercooler coolant through the blower did to the IAT'S .

The KB LC setup hooks into the radiator system, not the heat exchanger/intercooler system.

nxhappy

Established Member
yep, distilled water works A LOT better than coolant. we don't need as much coolant in CA because we rarely see freezing temps. The larger tank will help too, a long with the 170 Tstat.

jazz

Established Member
yep, distilled water works A LOT better than coolant. we don't need as much coolant in CA because we rarely see freezing temps. The larger tank will help too, a long with the 170 Tstat.

yea thats what i will doing once i have the larger resevoir. ALready have the 170 tstat

JB_2010GT500

Established Member

I can't tell from that pic. Maybe someone else can. After reading this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1033955-Kenne-Bell-2-8LC-coolant-line-routing-help-please it looks like you can tap into either coolant system. However, if you ever plan on running ice in the intercooler system, you would need to have the LC hooked up to the engine coolant (radiator system) because the KB LC is not designed to handle ice water. Bad Company sums it up best in that thread:

The reason for not using ice water to cool the supercharger front bearing plate is due to contraction of the bearing plate. If the front bearing plate is subjected to extreme cold coolant on a warm day at high boost, the bearing plate contracts too much in relationship to the complete SC case and rear bearing plate. The tolerance between the rotors is 0.003". The extreme temperature difference between the ice water system and using engine coolant is enough for the bearing housing to contract at the front of the SC and causes the rotors to hit each other.

jazz

Established Member
Oh ok thanks for the info. kinda scared a bit before about the Lc lines. I ll post more pics tonight. One of the Lc lines is before the ic resevoir and the other is at the bottom line.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
^^And that's reason enough not to bother with a LC setup. Why go through the hassle when the benefit is negligible?

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Oh ok thanks for the info. kinda scared a bit before about the Lc lines. I ll post more pics tonight. One of the Lc lines is before the ic resevoir and the other is at the bottom line.

Also, I would second the recommendation of getting an expansion tank.

railroad

Established Member
I just put on the VMP triple pass Heat Exchanger with fans. I do not know about the hose routing on the C&R, but I had to be careful to not kink the new hose required for the install. I probably should have bought a better grade of hose, but I zip tied it in place to keep the kinks from happening. My point, is check you hoses and make sure you do not have a kink. The next thing would be the air flow through the grill opening. Make sure you do not have any add ons or blockage. It sounds like there might have been a issue with the high temps before the HE, any chance you have a lot of oil on the intercooler?

Last edited:

devilish64

Established Member
Well considering the intercooler lines are feeding into the hot supercharger it definitley makes sense that the temps would jump way up during and after a wide open throttle run. Considering the size of the system WITHOUT the 3x bigger resivoir.... your temps dont seem crazy high. If everything is working as it should... it makes me question the effectivness of the Liquid Cooling if it brings the temps up to a point were the tune is pulling timing and killing the power.

railroad

Established Member
If you left the lower air dams out of the lower opening, as stated on another thread, the air while moving is not being forced through the heat exchanger. It does not account for the high temps at idle.

jazz

Established Member
I just put on the VMP triple pass Heat Exchanger with fans. I do not know about the hose routing on the C&R, but I had to be careful to not kink the new hose required for the install. I probably should have bought a better grade of hose, but I zip tied it in place to keep the kinks from happening. My point, is check you hoses and make sure you do not have a kink. The next thing would be the air flow through the grill opening. Make sure you do not have any add ons or blockage. It sounds like there might have been a issue with the high temps before the HE, any chance you have a lot of oil on the intercooler?

No oil. Wasnt that hot with stock blower

jazz

Established Member
Well considering the intercooler lines are feeding into the hot supercharger it definitley makes sense that the temps would jump way up during and after a wide open throttle run. Considering the size of the system WITHOUT the 3x bigger resivoir.... your temps dont seem crazy high. If everything is working as it should... it makes me question the effectivness of the Liquid Cooling if it brings the temps up to a point were the tune is pulling timing and killing the power.

Maybe burping the system would help. Gona need help from the red shelby bud again lol

Users who are viewing this thread