hellion tt video

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
^^dick, nice first post. nothing like having a subaru guy driving your car when you are away......

willie, the car is headed to louisianna on wed and they will start putting all of the other stuff i have ordered on. the kit is about two weeks away and i am struggling with the piston and rod decision because of the cost. but as he said it is cheaper to do it now than to replace evereything.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I didn't read the whole thread, but sgt d, make sure you have them put head studs in. may not be needed at first, but who knows how far you may take it. I always recommend at least putting the studs in with a compound setup. it is very easy to make a lot of boost if you aren't careful.

que4dog

Established Member
...the kit is about two weeks away and i am struggling with the piston and rod decision because of the cost. but as he said it is cheaper to do it now than to replace evereything.

You lost me. Maybe I missed it and I know you may up the boost later, but the kit you are getting now is at about 700+ hp correct? I am considering the this compound setup and I am not going into my engine but I am not planning on going over 800 hp. Should I be concerned about my heads lifting and/or rod issues in the 700-800 hp range?

Last edited:

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
Call Jake and or Patty at LaMottas.

3.4 Whipple, 17#'s of boost--- STOCK MAns, stock exhaust only has a cat back. No mondo blade. Yes has injectors because anyone playing at 700 is kinda silly not to have them in there for safety reasons---the same reasons why anyone playing with the TT kit should also have the injectors in... two weeks ago. yes it was 51 degrees in the shop and yes it was low humidity... the car made 760 and 740 SAE....

Same car made 730 and 720 ish as well on a mid 80 degree day as well.

My three points are these:

#1 Hellion did a great job with this kit, but it is a fact that you can and people HAVE made same power #'s with same if not better TQ curve.

#2 When you add up the costs with the kits, all needed to run safely and the install, they are similar.

#3 NO you do not need a full exhaust...

I can see a benefit of not having to touch the S/C and leaving it stock and also not having to cut / drill stuff with the Hellion Kit, but same goes for the Blower step up as well if you know what you are doing.

Boost is boost and should make the same power as long as IF the parasitic drag AND the heat of the unit/units are not causing diminishing returns.. Yeah , you can of course have curves a little different e.t.c..

Many in the know understand that Turbos are definitely more efficient (although todays blowers are becoming damn efficient as well) mainly due to not having the burden of spinning large heavy chunks of metal to create the boost.

BUT... with this set up , the blower is still there and therefore still has similar parasitic losses (arguably a little lower most likely but obviously NOT low enough to make a difference in the boost to power output). In other words, the almost always age old argument of why turbo's are better than S/C's has to due with the turbos being more efficient---well in this case the efficienct enjoyed by the turbos is negated by using the blower as well.

To make my point I would bet that if the turbos were singing in a solo fashion (only the twin kit and NO Blower) and there was an efficient way to deliver the boost say through a different intake or a sullivan type deal.... the car at 17#'s of boost would make (whatever the parasitic loss the blower is causing), that much more power....

But obviously that chucks the price point most likely out of the ball park of willing participants.

It is simply a different means to a number, which happens to be similar to a larger blower set up that is appealing to some for many diff reasons.

The ability to (supposedly) easily up the power quickly is definitely attractive---but hey, IF you are going to up the power say another 100-200 rwhp---you can do that as well with the blower with a pulley change---then of course both set ups will need higher octane and possibly a different tune. Again though---still similar....all the way to about 30 lbs of boost...

:)

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
^^dick, nice first post. nothing like having a subaru guy driving your car when you are away......

willie, the car is headed to louisianna on wed and they will start putting all of the other stuff i have ordered on. the kit is about two weeks away and i am struggling with the piston and rod decision because of the cost. but as he said it is cheaper to do it now than to replace evereything.

that's what I meant by game plan. How far do you want to go? Is the current set-up going to be enough? Do you think you'll want more HP in the future? Is it worth spending now vs later?

Once you've answered these basic questions. You'll know if it's time to open that checkbook back up.

My rule of thumb: Better be safe then sorry..........:rollseyes BUT that's just me...

g/l with that build

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
just noticed what thread i posted this in. this video is with the 2.6 pulley, intake, exhaust and tune and it is a quick driveby.

non-edited HD video of the 500:

2008 Ford Mustang GT500...Canon 5dm2 Sigma 10mm Fisheye on Vimeo

i finally got the video to load, except for the "prolly a bunch" i really liked it, damn you for enjoying my car while i am away!

btw, this is my brother, he takes care of my toys when i am out of the states.....:nonono:

that's what I meant by game plan. How far do you want to go? Is the current set-up going to be enough? Do you think you'll want more HP in the future? Is it worth spending now vs later?

Once you've answered these basic questions. You'll know if it's time to open that checkbook back up.

My rule of thumb: Better be safe then sorry..........:rollseyes BUT that's just me...

g/l with that build

i am thinking of building a short block now to have on the side in case of failure or for when i decide to go bigger. i just really hate to pop the motor open because of the fear that once i do it will not be right ever again. it may sound silly but i have had things that were fine before i started modding them and once someone broke the seal then stuff just went down hill. my previous excitement has now turned into paranoia..lol..

Last edited:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
They posted the dyno sheet. 16.5psi SAE 711/736

abacocompressed.jpg

"This is with a totally stock engine, no bolt ons, with the base system, and low boost - 8.5 psi from the turbos, 16.5 psi total (system is compounded). This is on 91 octane pump gas with a conservative tune."

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
i finally got the video to load, except for the "prolly a bunch" i really liked it, damn you for enjoying my car while i am away!

btw, this is my brother, he takes care of my toys when i am out of the states.....:nonono:

i am thinking of building a short block now to have on the side in case of failure or for when i decide to go bigger. i just really hate to pop the motor open because of the fear that once i do it will not be right ever again. it may sound silly but i have had things that were fine before i started modding them and once someone broke the seal then stuff just went down hill. my previous excitement has now turned into paranoia..lol..

Well, if you keep her within the dyno^^^area..you'll be fine:beer:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
just want to through out a thanks to jared at lethal for another transaction, easy to work with and good deal on the parts. so while the car is waiting for the kit there will be a few goodies to keep my buddy busy. thanks lethal:beer:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
They posted the dyno sheet. 16.5psi SAE 711/736

abacocompressed.jpg

"This is with a totally stock engine, no bolt ons, with the base system, and low boost - 8.5 psi from the turbos, 16.5 psi total (system is compounded). This is on 91 octane pump gas with a conservative tune."

:eek:

That torque curve is a thing of beauty

No kidding. 3000 rpm's between tq peak and hp peak :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread