Hellion single

woodzusa

Established Member
I did a search and didn't see a thread about this specific question. Sorry if it has been asked.

Here is my dilemma. I have been all set on a vortech kit mainly due to price. I always thought the turbo kits were out of my price range until I saw the single kit by Hellion. It seems to surpass the HP and TQ that I was looking for.

Another thread mentioned their TT kits but not much on their singles. Are they crap or something? Hard to install? Reliability issues? Harder on the stcok motor than a centri?

Sorry for all the quetions. I just want to have a quick street car and feel that Hoooollllleeeee Hell feeling when I push down on the fun pedal.

Nuar

Established Member
Do a little more searching. The single kit hellion is complete garbage. Known for backpressure issues causing motor problems, the kit has fitment issues as well. Their twin kit is a damn good setup though.

stang910

Established Member
If those are your choices get the Vortech. I hated my Hellion single so I sold it and got a Paxton.

woodzusa

Established Member
Much appreciated for the responses.

I guess that explains why I've seen them for $1000 off reg price.
It sounds like you guys just saved me some headaches.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If your heart is set on a turbo kit, EDP is one of the newest kits offered and easily has the best price for a high quality, made in USA kit. Just understand you will have to get rid of your front sway bar and wastegates dump to atmosphere--not a big deal for some but did not sit well with me.

CPR gets rave reveiws from owners and seems like a very nice kit--but very pricey at over $7k for what's basically a "tuner" kit being no fuel upgrades or F/I tune is included.

JPC's kit is also TOP notch but is designed and functions just like the EDP i mention above.

I went Paxton route (good for 900+ whp once you grow into it) and am in the middle of installing now.. i have a thread going with lots of pics and advise for anyone who is looking to do the same install.

A Paxton/Vortech tuner kit can be had for about $4300... give or take a $100 or two depending on who you buy from. The thought and R/D that went into the package is incredible..... makes for a very factory looking, feeling, and functioning F/I kit for these cars.

Last edited:

CPRsm

CPR gets rave reveiws from owners and seems like a very nice kit--but very pricey at over $7k for what's basically a "tuner" kit being no fuel upgrades or F/I tune is included.
Yes a base tune is included. :nono:
I'm ok w being pricey if it gets rave reviews lol.

"Pricey" cuz

-530 for Kmember
-200 for tubular core support
-200 for expansion tank
-600 for headers
-200 mid pipe

So 5569 not including the shipping you'd have to spend to get those parts. The kmember is about 50 to shop by itself. But this is what's offered above and beyond other FI kits, while there is still more to the kit that's not listed.

poof100

Established Member
If your heart is set on a turbo kit, EDP is one of the newest kits offered and easily has the best price for a high quality, made in USA kit. Just understand you will have to get rid of your front sway bar and wastegates dump to atmosphere--not a big deal for some but did not sit well with me.

JPC's kit is also TOP notch but is designed and functions just like the EDP i mention above.

The JPC kit has been out for a few years now. More like the EDP kit is designed just like the JPC one.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you Dustin.

My apologies on the mis-info regarding the base tune.... Definitively not trying to misrepresent your kit so my mistake.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I wouldn't give the hellion single kit to my worst enemy. I had one for about a week, didn't even finish installing it - the fitment was so bad.

Stay far, far away from it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The JPC kit has been out for a few years now. More like the EDP kit is designed just like the JPC one.

I don't see where I stated whose was available first but thanks anyway.

Agree JPC was out first but should that fact command a $700+ premium over EDP's?

You decide.

CPRsm

Thank you Dustin.

My apologies on the mis-info regarding the base tune.... Definitively not trying to misrepresent your kit so my mistake.
:thumbsup:

Agree JPC was out first but should that fact command a $700+ premium over EDP's?
You have to look deeper than how many turbos there in the kit, and cost. Two singles can have different prices because of different parts, parts quantities, or quality. You can't look at just the surface. The Garrett core we use is over double in cost, before end tanks, before tubing or bracketry, than the entire cost of hellion single intercooler. It's also about 3 times the volume. So you can't always just compare any two forced induction kits by cost and turbo quantity alone.

Bud

Established Member
Hellion is actively posting on the forum about their twin kit in other threads the past few days, but not a peep in this thread. I'd take that as a sign...lol

HELLION TURBO

Hello.

We have had success with our single kit over the years, but we currently have it on a production hold to concentrate our efforts on our Eliminator twin turbo system for the 2011-2014 GT and Boss Mustang.

If anyone has any questions please email us at [email protected], or please call 505-873-4670.

Thank you,

Team Hellion

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Rick (sspstangbanger) got a hellion kit second hand and has modified it to hold a 76mm bullseye. I believe he wanted to go the CPR route but Dustin refuses to work for free....the nerve of some people lol

Also for price difference in JPC and EDP, looking on the EDP site I didn't see a supplied slim fan assembly, radiator support or coolant tank. I think those easily eat up 700 bucks.
Not hating on EDP just noting what I see (or don't see)

Last edited:

Gray5.0

Established Member
I think it comes down to tuning. My buddy is running a hellion single and puts down 700/780 on 10lbs and e85. I say if you get one for a hell of a deal do it.

Users who are viewing this thread