Heavy road grime removal...

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Wife has been driving through 3 or 4 construction zones all winter long and her paint is contaminated all to hell. Orange dots (im assuming rust), asphalt tar and lord knows what else is covering the lower half of her white G70. My normal 2 bucket washes arent touching that stuff and am looking for a safe way to remove it all. Car was clay toweled and waxed thoroughly with Collonite 845 last fall.

As of right now all I know is that I will be using an iron removal spray, not sure if that will be sufficient for the tar. Looking for an alternative (if needed) to a "tar/bug" sponge as its super rough and I am worried about the paint even when using claybar lube and I dont believe my medium clay towel will be the correct method. Thanks in advance.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
1st douse it and let it dwell with some APC. Wash.
2nd douche it with a dedicated tar remover. Let it dwell. Use a MF towel to remove any heavy spots. Wash.
3rd iron remover. Wash.
Clay.
Wash.

I know your water bill will be nuts, but this should get you where you need to be.

And as always follow the directions on the products, especially the iron remover.

After that if there is any staining or anything you may have to polish.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive used WD40 in the past with good results but that was never on paint, just rims. Got any recommendations on the APC and Tar remover??? Never used a tar cleaner before and have used Optimum APC before but didnt like how it.... dissolved my fingerprints off rofl.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I like Tarminator.
LOL, I like Optimum,lolz.

Adam's APC is good stuff.

WD40 works too, just not like a dedicated tar remover.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive had it react to aluminum stuff under the hood, changed the color on an intake plenum and other various bits on a previous car.

I use this stuff under the hood and on rims with no issue diluted at 20:1. Suppose I should have tried it on the tar before grabbing a gallon of Megs, oh well.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't like Simple Green...
I've never had any issues with it over the past 20+ years that it's been my standard all-purpose cleaner. I once noticed some stubborn gunk of some sort on my 2003 Cobra's passenger door the morning I was to check into a car show in New Hampshire. I tried a couple of other cleaners from my trunk tool kit the morning of the show with no success. It wouldn't budge. I then grabbed a bottle of Simple Green at the local Home Depot and the gunk came off easily. No harm in any way to the paint. I'm still a big fan of the stuff and have used it on all of my vehicles (and in the home) ever since.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I too, have had some weird experiences with it on some aluminum and stained some trim once. But, that could have been a one off. I also don't like the smell! LOL Knew I should have explained why, lolz

Definition of APC TK1299--LOL right on!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I too, have had some weird experiences with it on some aluminum and stained some trim once. But, that could have been a one off. I also don't like the smell! LOL Knew I should have explained why, lolz

Definition of APC TK1299--LOL right on!
Odor? Here you go, Scott. LOL. Lemon scent Simple Green.

Users who are viewing this thread