having brake issues, need advise

Vette Eater

Established Member
Over the past few months I've been cleaning up the brakes kn my car, powder coating, rotors and and braided brake lines. Now I have a pump bleeder,i bled the brakes with it until I was blue in the face to make sure there were no bubbles. Then i tried the old fashion way by pumping them and I actually some more bubblesdid that for over an hour and STILL nothing. Am I doing something wrong? This is by no means the first time ive done this. anyone have some suggestions

Vette Eater

Established Member
It's not the master cylinder, there was nothing wrong with them.i took the time during the winter to powder coat the calipers, do steele braided lines and slotted and drilled rotors. I just can't get them to bleed properly. started at the pass rear then drivers rear then pass front then driver front, and No bubbles

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
How big are the bubbles?

The seal of the tube around the bleeder screw may not be air tight. I can get some small bubbles that leak into the tube and appear in the fluid while I'm bleeding using the standard 2-man method. It took me about 30 mins to realize what was happening the first time.

Vette Eater

Established Member
I don't have bubbles anymore, that's the problem.the brakes are not building pressure at all and I'm not getting any air out of the lines, there aren't any leaks either

mu22stang

Established Member
How is not having bubbles a problem? That's exactly what you want. What do you mean the brakes aren't building pressure?

Vette Eater

Established Member
I bled the brakes until the bubbles stopped coming out.i have bled and bled and bled them and no bubbles are coming out, that's what is causing the brakes to not work, you do not want bubbles in the system. I can't get the brakes to build pressure to get a solid pedal

mu22stang

Established Member
What is the process you are using? Do you have speed bleeders, do you have a partner holding the pedal, or are you still using the vacuum pump?

Vette Eater

Established Member
I started with the pump bleeder, then moved to a partner pumping the pedal. I've decided tonight I'm going to buy 2 big bottles of fluid and pump both through each caliper and see what that does.this is driving me crazy, I've never had this problem with other vehicles I've done, in fact I helped build a road race car over the winter and we put cobra brakes on it, it's at VIR right now running like a champ with no brake issues at all

Mystic03

Established Member
well if theres no air in the system has to be master cylinder...so it just goes to the floor no presure at all?

Vette Eater

Established Member
I find it hard to believe it's the master cylinder. The car only has 35k miles on it. The only conclusion I've come to is that the MC went completely dry and it needs to be bench bled, I'm going to do that tonight or tomorrow

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Did you cap/seal your brake lines off while you had the calipers off? Did you let the system drip dry? If so, you are in trouble. You cannot properly bleed the ABS unit without help from Ford. They have special equipment to do it.

Vette Eater

Established Member
funny,a tech that works with me here, nissan, used to be a ford tech and knows how to bleed it, we went to lunch a little bit ago and said the same thing, he's coming over tomorrow to show me how to fix it. He said there is a took but you don't need it, we'll see

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Before you remove your master cylinder to bench bleed it. Try bleeding it on the car. Just cover your left valve cover to keep the paint from getting wrecked.
No need to remove it.
If that doesn't get it then you will need to do the ABS bleed.
The master cylinder is tipped and air goes into the high spot(where the bleeder is) very easily.

Don't do anything else until you try this!

racebronco2

Established Member
You need to bleed the master cylinder just like jimmy says. You will need to let the car sit overnight, then bleed them. I had the same problem the first time i removed my calipers to paint them.

The problem is if you bleed the wheels first the air get caught between the m/c and the abs unit and no matter what you do you'll never get the air out. When you bleed the calipers the air bubbles move down the line a little but as soon as you close the bleeder the air bubble works it's way up a little again, this goes on and on til your blue in the face.

Vette Eater

Established Member
first, I FIXED IT!!!! I'm going to preface second with this, i'm not referring to ANYONE in this thread...

second, I'm am idiot! Because I listen to people when I should know better. In a thread I posted in the Interior/exterior section about my brake setup, I had four people PM to tell me I had my calipers on the wrong side and I needed to change it because the pin was in the wrong position. It makes no difference, where the pin is located as long as the bleeders are at the top. Because i was stupid not to leave well enough alone, it bothered me the pin was in wrong place so I swapped calipers. I'm stupid for not paying attention to begin with and stupid for letting someone, going off a picture, influence my decision on how i work on my car.

With that being said, it brings me to the third...thank you guys for all your input. I flipped the calipers AND bench bled the master cylinder and the brakes are absolutely perfect...thanks again for your help

Eric

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
brakes

good to hear its fixed,,,,

pictures are the best way on here to see things that might be wrong''

funny story....i had codes 455 and 457 after ford replaced the head...

i went 4 years with the light on than one day i replyed to a picture on here telling the guy his vacuum hoses were backwards....

well come to find out ford put mine on wrong..a couple of guys mentioned it,,,we switched just one hose and the cel went out

Users who are viewing this thread