Have $700k under your mattress?

Blown 89

Established Member
For that kind of cash you could own a mp4-12c in 5 months and not need the $700k downpayment. These cars just aren't worth it on the road. The performance has exceeded what's fun on the street but they're so expensive that it's not worth risking it on the track unless you're just hot lapping which isn't nearly as much fun as swapping paint. Maybe it's just me but supercars are starting to fall in this weird grey area.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
ANNDDDDD this supports my theory about a ton of cars.

Back in the day, the corvette and aston's of the world were "sports" cars. You'd take your lady dressed up out in it on a hot date, look dapper, and drive a beautiful automobile. They were fast enough to be fun, but not dangerous.

Now it's lets bolt wings to everything, make it do 250mph, and shoot into space. The practicality of performance/sports cars have gone out the window and it's showing in their used prices.

Never_Enough

Established Member
ANNDDDDD this supports my theory about a ton of cars.

Back in the day, the corvette and aston's of the world were "sports" cars. You'd take your lady dressed up out in it on a hot date, look dapper, and drive a beautiful automobile. They were fast enough to be fun, but not dangerous.

Now it's lets bolt wings to everything, make it do 250mph, and shoot into space. The practicality of performance/sports cars have gone out the window and it's showing in their used prices.
The Corvette still hits that. Unfortunately, a new ZR1 is over $100k & 99% of us cannot afford that.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
The Corvette still hits that. Unfortunately, a new ZR1 is over $100k & 99% of us cannot afford that.

ehhh

This:

1958-chevrolet-corvette-passenger-side-view.jpg

is in no way related to this:

upload_2018-5-15_14-10-28.jpeg

I wish someone would just make a smaller, two door sports car that isn't looking to set world land speed records. I'd much rather drive the '58 everyday (modernized though) than the C7.

Never_Enough

Established Member
ehhh

This:

View attachment 1487762

View attachment 1487761

I wish someone would just make a smaller, two door sports car that isn't looking to set world land speed records. I'd much rather drive the '58 everyday (modernized though) than the C7.
Let's be honest, the old cars like that ride like shit & brake like shit.

They do, it's called a Miata.

96 cobra

Established Member

cd39bef6891429c7b663614317abbddf.jpg

Stock: low/mid 13's, 0.92g skidpad, and $10-15k gets a prime example.

Recon

Established Member
ehhh

This:

View attachment 1487762

View attachment 1487761

I’ll take a 58 over a C7 any day. I find that I enjoy the drive in my old stock 65 Impala than my supercharged 3V Roush or my GT. Something about an old car that’s special.

You might look at the new TVR Griffith (second gen) that’s coming out, Coyote based 5.0, lightweight, and small.

Pick your poison.

RSbeast

Established Member

They do. It’s called a Miata.

I have a gorgeous c3 and a c5. 90% of my fun driving is done in the little mx5.

The new ones run like old Lt1 cars. Probably one of the last true sports cars.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Just shows how much they depreciate. Although the people with the funds to do this don't care.

I don't know, plenty of hypercars go up in value. I'm no Pagani expert, but the roadster was just released. If you want one, too bad, they are all sold out likely and the waitlist for the next model Pagani is probably 2+ years. So if you want one today, used is how you buy. 2.2 million for a roadster doesn't seem too bad considering what the hardtop Huayras sold for new.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
ehhh
This:

View attachment 1487762

View attachment 1487761

I agree, but I'd be just fine with an original, non-modernized one. I have no interest in the ultra-expensive, ultra-performance exotic varieties. IMO the epitome of fun on the street with a Corvette was the 1965 375hp FI 327. With the 4-wheel disc brake option. A personal favorite.

maxresdefault.jpg

Never_Enough

Established Member
I’ll take a 58 over a C7 any day. I find that I enjoy the drive in my old stock 65 Impala than my supercharged 3V Roush or my GT. Something about an old car that’s special.

You might look at the new TVR Griffith (second gen) that’s coming out, Coyote based 5.0, lightweight, and small.

Pick your poison.
It's fun driving my friend's 63 Impala SS Vert or 56 Chevy 3100, but every time you have to brake that damn Impala is scary as **** with drum brakes & highway driving? It's floating all over the place. I won't even talk about the gauges being inaccurate. At least the '56 has Dakota digital gauges in it. I still want a 67 Chevelle, but has to be resto mod. No way would I be happy with it all original.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I had a 61 corvette and the front suspension was identical to the one in a 53-54 Belair, serious understeer and then serious oversteer. It was really easy to get behind. I also had a new 71 big block coupe at the same time. Totally different car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

blubyu87gt

Established Member
$15k also gets you a C5Z or a base C6.
I've been shopping around for a C5z and if you want a 100k car with "minor" accident history then 15k is about right. Otherwise 19k or so seems to be the average for a good one without stories. The market is flooded with them right now, for better or worse.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I've been shopping around for a C5z and if you want a 100k car with "minor" accident history then 15k is about right. Otherwise 19k or so seems to be the average for a good one without stories. The market is flooded with them right now, for better or worse.
Then prices have gone up. When I was looking, $15k-17k bought a nice example. Still, 100k mi C4 or 100k mi C5Z for same $? Give me the Z06. Market being flooded is better for buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread